User Tag List

123 Last

Stansmith

Default What separates America from the rest of the modern Western world?

Politically and ideologically?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

More militaristic and interventionist.

Stronger libertarian streak when it comes to socio-economics.

Is politically ancient. Really, the USA has the oldest constitution in the world and is home to the oldest political party in the world.

Has a significantly larger economy and population than any other part of the the western world or developed world anywhere (unless you count the EU as one thing, *snicker snicker*)

Possibly the most obsessed with race, and one of the last places to end slavery.

I'll think of others later.

Bonus: Abnormal disinterest in soccer.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

We are an immigrant-driven and federalized state-nation explicitly based on classical liberal principles (especially limited and divided government), with a 'built-in empire' that stretches across a resource-rich continent, and historically low barriers to entry in the business and, in the modern era, political arena (every organized interests group with a reasonable following can fairly easily promote their agenda against entrenched interests, and politicians are more beholden to constituents than to national party bosses, something that is almost unheard of elsewhere in the democratic world). Each one of these factors is unusual in itself, and no other nation has that combination of characteristics.

The price of all of this, of course, is endemic gridlock (which I tend to view as more of a virtue), high operating costs with its inherent potential for corruption, and voter fatigue (the latter refers to depressed turnout from having so many and such frequent elections, especially when you can't simply refer to nationalized party platforms).

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Well, it's very two-party oriented. The rest of the Anglophone world seems to have three parties (with confusing names like Liberal Progressive Conservative Party). (Tea Party isn't really a party. They don't even have balloons.)

Í'm not sure if the two-party thing is a good thing or not. Probably, it's a bad thing.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    More militaristic and interventionist.

Stronger libertarian streak when it comes to socio-economics.

Is politically ancient. Really, the USA has the oldest constitution in the world and is home to the oldest political party in the world.

Has a significantly larger economy and population than any other part of the the western world or developed world anywhere (unless you count the EU as one thing, *snicker snicker*)

Possibly the most obsessed with race, and one of the last places to end slavery.

I'll think of others later.

Bonus: Abnormal disinterest in soccer.
    There isn't enough scoring.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Politically and ideologically?
    Two thoughts popped into my head: American Exceptionalism and they are highly religious as a whole, comparitively. I think these two factors have a lot of influence on politics and consequently how others perceive us.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    There isn't enough scoring.
    I work with a soccer fanatic and he's explained to me that the soccer purists and traditionalists won't change the rules to make it more appealing and marketable.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

The Atlantic Ocean.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I work with a soccer fanatic and he's explained to me that the soccer purists and traditionalists won't change the rules to make it more appealing and marketable.
    I understand this. I'm a lifelong, diehard hockey fan. We are incredibly provincial when you get right down to it. I'm just saying that the lack of scoring is the reason most of the Americans I've asked aren't interested. Soccer also has the rest of the worlds' fans, they really don't have to make it more appealing or marketable.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

"Boston beat Detroit 2-1 !" Hey, that does sound like hockey...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.