User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

In the U.S., lectures seems similar to what you're describing.
    Then why American pupils almost always score last (or amongst the last) in international surveys when it comes to geography, global history and mathematics (literacy and science fluency, on the other hand, seems average)?

Another paradox within the US is how your secondary schools can be soooo bad, and yet how your top universities can be so extraordinary.

Huge social, economical and cultural discrepancies seem to be the foundation of this country. How can your society agree with that?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Then why American pupils almost always score last in international surveys when it comes to geography, global history and mathematics (literacy fluency, on the other hand, seems average)?

Another paradox within the US is how your secondary schools can be soooo bad, and yet how your top universities can be so extraordinary.

Huge social and cultural gaps seem to be the foundation of this country.
    I would say economic, as well. And plenty of people from other countries attend our universities so you can't really compare them to mandatory primary schools as if they all exist in a closed system. Yes, the scores on our pupil surveys are awful, unfortunately.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So the USA loves dissent freedom, South America loves order authoritarianism/populism from the top down, and Oz asks, does it work?
    South America and Central America for that matter, are very homogenous compared to the U.S. Racially and religiously, thanks to the Catholic Spanish and Portuguese. I think this is important. TWO less issues to divide over, probably two of the biggest parts of most cultures identity. With so much diversity people "tend" to look out for their group first before factoring for "national" values. The last two presidential elections bear this out where over 90% of the black vote went to Obama both times.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    South America and Central America for that matter, are very homogenous compared to the U.S.
    It's completely untrue. South American nations are amongst the most diverse of the planet, ethnically speaking. Even more than the US in many areas. And the social, cultural and economical divides and inequalities are sometimes worst (Look for Brazil for instance).

"A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    ♫ From sea to shining sea ♫
    Ahhh yes, the Manifest Destiny. A creation of Democrat flavored American Exceptionalism, a banner call for expansion and a way to make Americans feel good about the ongoing genocide Indian Wars. We can thank the Democrats for that "feel good" moment. "...many prominent Americans (such as Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant and most Whigs and Republicans) rejected it." ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_destiny

They'll thanks us in the end!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

It's completely untrue. South American nations are amongst the most diverse of the planet, ethnically speaking. Even more than the US in many areas.
    Are you referring to the 238 native tribes? I lumped them into 1 group. America, ftr, has like 5,702 (Ok not really I made up the numbers ) due to it's sheer size. I actually happen to be a member of one. Sicangu Oyate or The Burnt Thigh, a sub-tribe of Lakota Sioux.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Are you referring to the 238 native tribes? I lumped them into 1 group. America, ftr has like 5,702 due to it's sheer size. I actually happen to be a member of one. Sicangu Oyate or The Burnt Thigh, a sub-tribe of Lakota Sioux.
    The % of indigenous people of the Americas people is much, much, much higher in the majority of Latin America than in the US. And their ethnic diversity as well.

7w8 SCUxI

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What separates us....

We are the only true extant super power.

We have the largest economy.

We have the most powerful military.

We play the largest role of any nation in global finance.

Silicon valley leads the world in tech R&D and innovation.

We are the most resource rich first world nation.

We invented the Atomic Bomb.

We birthed the blues, Jazz and to some extent rock and roll.

I'll think of more.

WALMART

Ahhh yes, the Manifest Destiny. A creation of Democrat flavored American Exceptionalism, a banner call for expansion and a way to make Americans feel good about the ongoing genocide Indian Wars. We can thank the Democrats for that "feel good" moment. "...many prominent Americans (such as Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant and most Whigs and Republicans) rejected it." ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_destiny

They'll thanks us in the end!
    Damn straight.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

The % of indigenous people of the Americas people is much, much, much higher than in the US in the majority of Latin America. And their ethnic diversity as well.
    I dunno, heck the county I live in (sorta) San Diego, has like 6ish recognized tribes... If you want to call each one it's own unique culture, go on ahead. My experience has been that people, in the U.S., who care about "Native" issues tend to put Native before individual tribe. Their (South/Central American) racial issues to tend to boil down to mixed (with small minorities of whites piling on) vs. native.