User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this.
    I agree, too. The way people living in the United States can to such a large degree not know or care what happens in the rest of the world, and live their lives unaffected by that lack of knowledge--because of our global political power and strange circumstances of geography and time--makes this society different from European societies, with their pasts leaving ever-present reminders that they cannot exist in a bubble. Obviously, this is why terrorist attacks in New York City were a huge huge deal, and the popularization of the Internet is dissolving away at this, too, it seems.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I understand this. I'm a lifelong, diehard hockey fan. We are incredibly provincial when you get right down to it. I'm just saying that the lack of scoring is the reason most of the Americans I've asked aren't interested. Soccer also has the rest of the worlds' fans, they really don't have to make it more appealing or marketable.
    Honestly, I think ice hockey is much more exciting than soccer, but a lot more expensive to play (except the northenmost US, Canada, Russia and Scandinavia), thus the popularity of soccer...

(I come from north-eastern Italy where it's cold enough to play ice hockey during the winter. Everyone I know who tried hockey, gave up soccer almost immediately)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    We just wanted our tea really really bad, and the fact that many warm blooded American rednecks would deny/ignore this suggests that a large defining feature of American culture is that we often ignore world history out of culturally engineered pride.

Most cultures really seem to be the same way, though. Like the French, for instance.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default The USA, South America and Oz

The USA was founded by religious dissenters, whereas South America was founded by religious believers, and Oz was founded by the Scottish and English Enlightenment.

So the USA loves dissent. We can see this on both sides of politics: in the dissenting Tea Party in the House today, and interestingly, we can see it in the great New England dissenter, Noam Chomsky.

South America by contrast loves order from the top down. We can see this in their legal systems based on Roman Law, which operates from general principles down to the particular, rather than Common Law which acts from the particular up to general principles.

Whereas Australia is a secular society that guarantees freedom of religion, and whose philosophy is Utilitarianism.

So the USA loves dissent, South America loves order from the top down, and Oz asks, does it work?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Most cultures really seem to be the same way, though. Like the French, for instance.
    True. France is a particularly special case in that regard.

WALMART

♫ From sea to shining sea ♫

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    True. France is a particularly special case in that regard.
    I don't understand. Can you be more specific?
    France is an old European nation, and as a consequence, when you look at the history lectures delivered for kids and teens in our public schools, they first talk about Europe. For instance, it would be difficult not to evoke Italy first when we're talking about the Renaissance. The new programs for secondary school even include Chinese and African history.

Complete lack of cultural curiosity is unfortunately something very specifically Anglo-saxon.

The UK have exactly the same issue than the USA in that matter (even if this is probably due to different and divergent socio-historical reasons). These are two countries that don't seem to care about the rest of the world.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

But this total lack of interest and selfishness can go even further.

I mean, the most enormous difference between the USA and the rest of the modern world is the frenetic, insane consumption of natural ressources. Consumerism. The US economy is a vampire, a burden for the rest of the world. Every year, it drains between a fourth and a third of all the limited natural ressources of our planet, meaning that the so-called "American Way of Life" is more than probably leading us to a global ecological disaster. Just to make a comparison, Western Europe consumes between three and four times less per inhabitant, while maintaining more or less the same standard of living.

If we continue this way, the future generations are doomed. But while in Europe we're starting to really worry about the possible consequences of this unrelenting madness, the majority of American citizens don't seem to care at all how much they are harming the global ecosystems of our planet, even at an accelerated pace right now. I find this very unfortunate and I've wondered countless times why.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I don't understand. Can you be more specific?
    France is an old European nation, and as a consequence, when you look at the history lectures delivered for kids and teens in our public schools, they first talk about Europe. For instance, it would be difficult not to evoke Italy first when we're talking about the Renaissance. The new programs for secondary school even include Chinese and African history.

Complete lack of cultural curiosity is unfortunately something very specifically Anglo-saxon.

The UK have exactly the same issue than the USA in that matter (even if this is probably due to different and divergent socio-historical reasons). These are two countries that don't seem to care about the rest of the world.
    I tend to associate France with the birth of refined post-modern thought, which emphasizes a rejection of meta-narratives, including historical documentation. Since you're French, I would be happy to be enlightened about your personal experiences learning world history. In my own, students tended to lack long-term comprehension of historical information, even if they excelled in the classes.

In the U.S., lectures seems similar to what you're describing.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I understand this. I'm a lifelong, diehard hockey fan. We are incredibly provincial when you get right down to it. I'm just saying that the lack of scoring is the reason most of the Americans I've asked aren't interested. Soccer also has the rest of the worlds' fans, they really don't have to make it more appealing or marketable.
    Agreed, but it just goes to show you that purists/traditionalists control the game (in non American sports) vs. business men. If it were the later, market share would be important and what company wouldn't want to expand it's revenue base? Granted I think American sports owners have their share of purists/traditionalists but when you look at how the game evolves in a rules context you will quickly (especially the NFL) see that there are changes almost yearly, to the chagrin of some.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft