User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    "Boston beat Detroit 2-1 !" Hey, that does sound like hockey...
    I happen to know that the average number of goals per game in the NHL is between five and six, whereas the average goals per game in the English Premier League is less than three.

A typical, 'average' game in the NHL has a 3-2 or 4-2 score, whereas every sixth or seventh EPL match is a 0-0 draw.

[/]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's pretty exceptional that Americans can start threads like these and not feel self conscious about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I disagree. I have frequently been on a European preservation forum, and many Eastern European countries are chauvinistic to a kind of mind boggling degree, and I don't just mean Russia. People would bicker over their countries. Germans seem fairly proud as well.

As if. Sometimes people act like Americans created imperialism, it gets on my nerves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, to answer the OP: lack of cohesive cultural identity, which has been replaced by consumerism...deep internal strife because of a fractured sense of shared history in stark contrast to the entirety of Europe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I disagree. I have frequently been on a European preservation forum, and many Eastern European countries are chauvinistic to a kind of mind boggling degree, and I don't just mean Russia. People would bicker over their countries. Germans seem fairly proud as well.

As if. Sometimes people act like Americans created imperialism, it gets on my nerves.
    Oh, I'm sure... But would you say that they're being faux oblivious while Americans have the luxury of being authentically oblivious?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Oh, I'm sure... But would you say that they're being faux oblivious while Americans have the luxury of being authentically oblivious?
    I don't know what you're talking about. Nationalism is spreading in Europe, and people in European countries don't have to ask what makes them different, they already know. And have known for a thousand years.

American people are like teenagers still finding their identity. The reason why we are so obsessed with race is because our lack of unified culture.

America is just a huge power now. Other nations were huge powers before it.

Americans just want something to hold onto. I think that is what libertarians are on about, with their obsession with colonial times.

A country divided against itself will weaken.

Ginkgo

Obviously American nationalism and American counter-nationalism. American nationalism is essentially an attitude that emphasizes the importance of preserving American values; since many American values are liberal, some aspects of American nationalism are progressive in nature. These aspects include the promotion of free trade, free speech, and many other schools of thought that were born to undermine autocratic conservatism. I would like to chalk a lot of American nationalism up to a general desire to interpret American history as a mythos. In a way, it seems almost like American nationalists believe that the founding fathers invented bravery and freedom. Even though thinkers like Jefferson were radical, given the political climate of the 1700's, the U.S. exists the way it does today largely due to coincidence and convenience. No shots were fired at the Boston Tea Party. An overwhelming chunk of Americans considered themselves Englishmen even after the declaration of independence was implemented. In fact, if it weren't for the tea-sipping English nationalism of the time, we wouldn't have fully splintered from the crown the way we did. We just wanted our tea really really bad, and the fact that many warm blooded American rednecks would deny/ignore this suggests that a large defining feature of American culture is that we often ignore world history out of culturally engineered pride.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Oh, to answer the OP: lack of cohesive cultural identity, which has been replaced by consumerism...deep internal strife because of a fractured sense of shared history in stark contrast to the entirety of Europe
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this.

Upon closer examination, it sort of starts to fragment, fuzzy, and/or lose truth value.

But there is definitely some truth to it that cannot be denied.

The USA had a highly successful bourgeois revolution, while the USA did not have a proletarian revolution. So the power structure and the values of the USA are bourgeois.

So while the values of the West since the Enlightenment are freedom and equality, where freedom limits equality and equality limits freedom, the USA values freedom more than equality.

This is what separates the USA. The USA puts freedom before equality.

Society

i am the eyelid opener!
    i am the tooth brusher!
    i am the coffee drinker!
    i am the clothes picker!
    - if america was a person.

american identity seems to me to always be based on the last thing that happened:
    just getting colonized (pilgrims)...
    -> "we are refugees from europe"
    just gained independence...
    -> "we are the free people!"
    [...]
    the cold war:
    -> "we are the leaders of the free world!"
    post cold war:
    -> "we are the world's superpower!"

mind you, that's probably not a bad thing: i think a lot of cultures that have a sense of identity which might be in some sense deeper, is actually just deeper rooted bullshit, and bullshit with depth is still... bullshit. more meaningful and abstract bullshit with longer histories to cherry pick a narrative from, but bullshit (my own birth country included).

and almost any sense of national identity will be bullshit, because "we're just a bunch of people linked by accident of birth organized in a way that allows control over land in a format acknowledged by the world as sovereign territory through direct or indirect diplomatic ties" just doesn't have a good ring to it. national identities are formed in accordance to emotional appeals - the truth is too fucking stale to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Í'm not sure if the two-party thing is a good thing or not. Probably, it's a bad thing.
    in terms of choice, it's a negative - if you really listed everything each party believes in (not only the wedge issues outlined in campaigns) in a venn diagram, you'd probably have like a 99% cross section - disagree with anything in that cross section and you have no one to vote for.

in terms of competence & stability, i think on a normal routine basis there's an advantage to having a ruling party rather a ruling coalition of multiply parties (even if right now it might not seem like it).