User Tag List

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Two Minute Video of A Growing Annoyance - Do You See You or Someone Else?

Two minute video of a rapidly growing annoyance.

Seriously, I love technology, but wow. Do you see yourself or someone else? How do you handle it?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, but unfortunately, I think I handle it by just staring at my own device. It is a vicious cycle.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

I'm the opposite I usually don't even know where my phone is, but I have been guilty having a conversation in front of someone else. But in defense, it's usually my mom and I can't cut her off mid sentence since she's my mom and all.I usually go somewhere private to talk, plus I lose concentration when other things are going on. I do have an SNES emulator (i'm in the middle of earthbound at the moment) on my phone and I play it when I'm alone or waiting for something and I have no one to talk to. But i'm not attached to my phone.

As for other people, I get highly annoyed unless it's business/something important my room mate is the worst. she plays everything on her phone loudly constantly snap chatting and face timing and she has this annoying voice she uses to talk to her animals back home.I want to stab my ear drums

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Two minute video of a rapidly growing annoyance.

Seriously, I love technology, but wow. Do you see yourself or someone else? How do you handle it?
    Yeah, the number of people taking movies while holding the phone vertically really bothered me as well!

Oh wait, I guess that's not quite the point. I avoid using the phone while with others, since what's the point of being with someone if you are just going to surf / text with someone else? I can do that stuff perfectly well being isolated in my home, thank you very much! When people do that when around me, I take that as a signal to quit hanging out with that person. It sort of falls under the "don't make someone a priority when they make you an option" rule.

Of course, I don't have a lot of friends at the moment partially because of this, so maybe I need a new strategy...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

How can someone be so focused on their smart phone around someone that cute?

Anyhow, I don't actually own a smart phone of my own. And as for the phone I have, I hate texting. My INFJ brother is one of those people who will put top priority on whatever is happening on his Android no matter what else is going on, which makes conversations really irritating to me.

The main way I handle it is avoiding it. I'm not very good at handling it. It borders on pathological. If something else is going on that I expect someone to pay attention to, and instead I see them looking at a hand held device, I feel a visceral urge to punch it out of their hands.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Heh. Yeah, it reminds me of many people (my own cell phone is about a decade old, and I keep getting complaints regarding my habit of leaving it off about 95% of the time).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've only had it really bother me with one person and that was in combination with some other annoying behaviors.

But my family might have their phones out for a little while when we go out together. Not the whole time, but we do sometimes check notifications or show each other stuff or take silly pictures. I don't perceive my kids being worse with their phones than I was with my ever-present paperbacks at their ages.

We spend almost all of our free time at home together and we all love electronic devices, except we really watch very little traditional TV. Like, sometimes I'll have one or more kids piled on my bed watching SciShow or Totally Biased or Colbert on my laptop or they will be in the kitchen at our giant computer desk playing TF2. Kinda what happens when two INs breed.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Someone else.

My college has a poster mocking about phone usage. We call them the zombies. They stare at their phones while walking, not sure what they are doing, just mindlessly there every day. You have to steer clear away from them unless you want them to bump into you.

On the other-hand, it has become so bad that, when I am out eating with people we put our phones in the center of the table so that if anybody touches their phone at any time, they owe a certain amount of money towards everyone else on the table. That money can add up really quickly if you are eating with 8 people .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Both myself and others.

Sometimes I get too caught up in it and have to consciously pull myself back. I've been trying to be better about technology lately - my laptop and phone - and putting them away when there's life to be lived. Especially with my phone, I have to be conscious of my priorities. Talking to the people I love I consider important, especially because my nuclear family is spread out right now. Taking photos of memories I want to capture I consider important. But I have to stay very aware of the situation - like one particularly memorable time when I was grocery shopping with my mom, something we've always enjoyed doing together, and so up in my phone that I realized I was really missing out on quality time with her.

The only time I ever had it out with anyone over it was my best friend in college - we went to a restaurant one night and she spent the first 10 minutes texting on her phone and not talking to me at all - not even looking at me - and I told her to not agree to go to dinner with me if she didn't want to go to dinner with me. She was angry and spent the rest of the dinner on the phone too. But I desire very high levels of intimacy/contact and she has some intimacy/trust issues, so that was a recurring issue between us.

But, I do love being able to capture and share certain things - like when I do cake decorating and there's no tangible way to share that with most people (can't just take the cake around with me...). And my boyfriend and I enjoy taking photos of each other. We also will often get home from work and crash in our bed and cuddle and both be playing on and off with our phones, and that's pleasing too, because it's mutual decompression time. It's just very relaxed and easy and of course we always prioritize each other over whatever's on our respective screens. It's nice for both of us that we're both sort of geeky and tend to use the internet for learning, so he understands my foruming and I understand his wiki-ing.

So... I think it enhances life if it's used well. My new rule is just always check if it's really my situational priority.