User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 137

Thread: Women should...

  1. #61
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    #1 result:

    Women should stop inferring that the population of men who make 'women should whatever' searches is for some reason a reliable measurement of how men in general feel about women.
    How do you know it's men? The top search for women shouldn't vote was an ask.com (answer.com?) page where people ask questions directly from school papers and get answers.

  2. #62
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    #1 result:

    Women should stop inferring that the population of men who make 'women should whatever' searches is for some reason a reliable measurement of how men in general feel about women.
    Men should stop inferring that this thread is at all a direct arrow at them. (I'm pretty sure google doesn't separate the women typing in searches with the men.. nor the people writing those searches to find outrageous things on purpose, or the children looking up things for school people have written, or the videos/memes/satire based on the principles searched for, etc.)

    It is a remark on what is looked at a lot and searched for actively.. the various reasons behind it don't automatically point to men being complete asses--nor is that what the thread is implying with this. Only that there is still, in society, a disparity between the genders. And it takes both halves of society (not to mention the slew of other influences like religion and generation gaps) to make that happen.

    Why are you always so instantly frowny faced when it comes to any thread about, relating to, or referring to gender gaps?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #63
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    How do you know it's men? The top search for women shouldn't vote was an ask.com (answer.com?) page where people ask questions directly from school papers and get answers.
    I never said only men do those searches, I'm focusing on what the op is always desperately trying to prove (which should be obvious at that point, as she's kind of a living meme around here).

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Men should stop inferring that this thread is at all a direct arrow at them. (I'm pretty sure google doesn't separate the women typing in searches with the men.. nor the people writing those searches to find outrageous things on purpose, or the children looking up things for school people have written, or the videos/memes/satire based on the principles searched for, etc.)
    Covered.

    It is a remark on what is looked at a lot and searched for actively.. the various reasons behind it don't automatically point to men being complete asses--nor is that what the thread is implying with this. Only that there is still, in society, a disparity between the genders. And it takes both halves of society (not to mention the slew of other influences like religion and generation gaps) to make that happen.
    Don't talk like you don't know Salomé.

    Why are you always so instantly frowny faced when it comes to any thread about, relating to, or referring to gender gaps?
    I'm bothered when the premises don't lead to a conclusion, and with gender related threads this is abundant.

    When it comes to sensitive topics, people are extremely vulnerable to confirmation bias, and whatever objective data presented end up not being scrutinized enough.



    When I try a "nazism is", the first results are about a connection to facism, while the third result is 'good'. Yet, I don't assume many people think nazism is good, as the sample of searches necessary for Google to come up with an autofill isn't statistically significant for me to conclude anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Hating is right up your alley, cupcake. Not mine. Now, do the only thing you do well - go start a thread and squeal: "misogyny!"
    Didn't take long, uh?
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  4. #64
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Rasofy, why are you so threatened by threads like these? What exactly is your objection to women having a voice? If you want to expose flaws with the methodology of the test, be my guest. If you just want to shut me up, then ask yourself, why are you so anxious to do so? As a woman, should I not concern myself with issues affecting women as highlighted by this United Nation's campaign? Is it really, after all, any of your business what I post about? You are free to absent yourself from any and all of my threads, after all.
    I would remind you also that you are yet again making a personal attack on me and ask that you cease and desist from doing do. Try to rise above that impulse, it will make the forum less hostile for everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You have too much fun trying to bait people. I wouldn't want to deprive you of such harmless amusement.
    Not at all - I have never tried to bait you. Nor have I ever had fun talking to you. I'm trying to understand you. Your refusal to answer doesn't really help with that. If it's just your intention to be a perpetual fly in the ointment where my threads are concerned (with your petty hair-splitting derails) I'll put you on ignore as I do others of that variety. If on the other hand we are just having a serious communication problem, for whatever reason, I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Friedrich Nietzsche - "A man who wills commands something within himself that renders obedience, or that he believes renders obedience."

    ^That's the very general outline as to why women are weak and forever in bondage to those born with the greater power.

    Of course, it could be used for other contexts, though this case for supremacy remains a sufficient subject.

  6. #66
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Nope. I get the point. It's just silly to talk about. Putting things in should terms, putting women into their own category in a discussion in an attempt to free them of those confines is as narrow as the thinking it's trying to combat. Let's start talking in human terms.
    I'm not following you... The purpose of the campaign is not to tell women what they should do/ should not do. It is to highlight common attitudes about those things across the world.

    If we do not consider statistics for women as a sub-group, how are we to measure the disparities that persist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Okay, so why does the German Google version disable autocomplete for "women" but not for men and the French and the Spanish seem okay with it????? I'm scared to think of what it is they might be blocking out.
    Google disable autocomplete when it's 'under review' for filtering, I think.


    If you think the woman one is bad, check out the one for gays.

    I guess there is still a lot of work to do on that "hate filter".

  7. #67
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    A twist on women should not "drive".

    A day to defy this law in SA:

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...n_drivers.html

  8. #68
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I never said only men do those searches, I'm focusing on what the op is always desperately trying to prove (which should be obvious at that point, as she's kind of a living meme around here).
    That there is oppression of women still in this day and age? Are there any real doubts of that? Because the UN campaign, and this OP talking about it, are exactly focused on that. I never got "MEN are oppressing women" from that.. And so, despite who made the thread and your personal feelings towards the subject, a lot of thought and effort and time was put into a campaign that used a fairly simple illustration to show a complex subject (google auto fill) and you want to throw it all out of the window because they used far too simple of an illustration that doesn't work in all contexts and fronts (despite this campaign being focused and it does a fabulous job in the circumstance in which it is used)?

    I don't understand.. Or I am failing to understand. You said you don't think we're focusing on men when we talk about these subjects. The post you made originally completely said the opposite.

    I'm bothered when the premises don't lead to a conclusion, and with gender related threads this is abundant.
    The conclusion is what the illustration is blatantly putting forth: that there is a serious problem in society, and that the UN is making efforts to bring that to the attention of the general population.

    How does this not have a conclusion? If you think the campaign tactic for this issue in particular is stupid, then yes, I see your point. But I don't see how this lacks a conclusion.. it in fact implies several.

    When it comes to sensitive topics, people are extremely vulnerable to confirmation bias, and whatever objective data presented end up not being scrutinized enough.
    Absolutely true. Almost anything is vulnerable to that. However, I hope you do not mean that we're all suddenly convinced that women are oppressed BECAUSE we saw the google auto fill illustration in the UN campaign. That would be a pretty bold statement to make.. And I hope you don't mean to say that we're even more convinced that we're oppressed as a gender just because we saw this ad. That too would be... well.. It would have to be you assuming we're shallow and silly enough to be swayed by advertisements alone.. instead of taking the time to highlight the campaign, discuss it, and the illustration used. Which I believe is what we're doing here.

    When I try a "nazism is", the first results are about a connection to facism, while the third result is 'good'. Yet, I don't assume many people think nazism is good, as the sample of searches necessary for Google to come up with an autofill isn't statistically significant for me to conclude anything.
    Right. The illustration doesn't work there. If I drew a picture of a frowny face, and put it on my birthday invitations, it wouldn't work there either. But it would work on a satirical card. Illustrations have very particular places and uses. I don't think taking it out of context invalidates its purpose.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  9. #69
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Questions to Rasofy:

    1/ Why do you seem to be so annoyed everytime you spot a thread dedicated to misogyny or gender roles?
    2/ What do you think our dear Salomé is trying to prove?

    Questions to Salomé:

    1/ Do you think that women's rights are really such a big issue in Scotland or in the UK? I mean, in 2013.
    2/ Why do you seem so obsessed with feminism recently? Do you really think that your campaign here is effective?
    3/ Do you think that our contemporary society is only structured by raw, physical power? Or rather, to put it on Marxist terms : do you think that people who hold this power are always wrong, and people who lack it always right? Do you think it is an automatic rule?

    What I mean is that the context matters. The same campaign has not the same value nor the same meaning whether it is held in Western Europe, in Russia, in Africa or within Muslim countries.
    Have you worked for a feminist NGO in Africa, for instance?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #70
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    And for entertainment purpose only, if I play the game and type in French what women should or shouldn't, I get:

    (translated):
    -Women should be better paid
    -Women should be rabbis
    -Women should have better opportunities
    -Women shouldn't be moody all the time
    -Women shouldn't wear bras
    -Pregnant women shouldn't eat too much
    -Women can't be color-blind
    -Women can't hold a secret
    -Women can't cook properly

    -Men should clean the house
    -Beautiful men should be taxed
    -Men should shave more often
    -Men shouldn't do two things in the same time
    -Men shouldn't wear fanciful jewels
    -Men shouldn't eat soy
    -Men can't live without women
    -Men can't love properly
    -Men can't be feminist

    Very French, isn't it?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTJ] ENTJ women - Is there something I should know ?
    By FireLion in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
  2. Women - how many times a week should you wash your hair?
    By Qre:us in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO