User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Migration, population displacement and imperialism/colonialism

Do you think there is a certain point at which if a sufficiently large population deserts their country intent on moving to another nation that the country they have deserted should forfeit sovereignty to the nation to which its people are making flight?

I am just thinking that if it can be taken as evidence that the sovereign government of some developing world nation is making such a balls of governing their nation that people are going to risk their lives deserting the country in favour of another nation who is doing a much better job of governance maybe it could be changed by those nations just addressing the problem at source almost.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think there is a certain point at which if a sufficiently large population deserts their country intent on moving to another nation that the country they have deserted should forfeit sovereignty to the nation to which its people are making flight?

I am just thinking that if it can be taken as evidence that the sovereign government of some developing world nation is making such a balls of governing their nation that people are going to risk their lives deserting the country in favour of another nation who is doing a much better job of governance maybe it could be changed by those nations just addressing the problem at source almost.
    I think your question has a good chance of being answered in the next few decades. I live along the Southwestern border and I have a front row seat.

Case in point; Mexico and the U.S. Over 1/4 of all Mexican nationals live outside their country, the vast majority of which reside in the U.S. Talk about a diaspora of disaffected people. The immigration status quo is stable and keeps both governments "happy" The U.S. benefits from the labor pool and having a politically stable neighbor. Mexico benefits by exporting (tongue in cheek) mal contents who might otherwise agitate for political/social change.

A very large % of these Mexican emigrants are adults and have the "right" to vote now because of legislation passed by Vicente Fox, the PAN president back in 2006. This gave expatriates the right to cast absentee ballots. However their voter apathy is well documented. You need only look at their absentee registration numbers. When you consider that most expatriates are of voting age then consider that over 40% of Mexico is under age 18 and can't vote the total % of Mexicans who have the right to vote and who live abroad increases.

The irony is that most "Mexicans" that I've spoken to are quite prideful and nationalistic. They still remember how the U.S. "stole" parts of Mexico from them. I believe this is part of the reason why Mexicans immigrants in particular choose not to assimilate once they decide to stay in the U.S.

"...maybe it could be changed by those nations just addressing the problem at source almost." ~ BINGO ~ This is what will lead to long term change in Mexico and be part of the solution to the immigration problem between the U.S. and Mexico. As the Joker said in Batman "This town needs an enema!!!"

Yes. I think if a societies rules for cessation are followed they should be allowed to break off from their own country and join another or form their own country.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft