MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Default Sinéad O'Connor's open letter to Miley Cyrus

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...er-miley-cyrus

After the 20-year-old claimed that Wrecking Ball's controversial video was inspired by Nothing Compares 2 U, the Irish singer was compelled to warn Cyrus that she is being 'pimped' by the pop industry. This is the full text of O'Connor's blogpost
    Thought it was worth sharing.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Yes, I saw this last night! I think it's pretty cool of O'Connor to reach out openly like that.

Especially since Miley actually does have talent:

I can see how it could be unpleasant to read that on Miley's end but shoot, I don't know what else could get through to her.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Considering the Rape threads etc we've had here, I figured this response to the letter would be...interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...or-miley-cyrus

Sinéad O'Connor's open letter to Miley Cyrus isn't entirely helpful to women. While O'Connor's warnings about young artists being exploited by the music industry should be taken seriously, the implication is that naked or other sexual images of women inevitably entails the woman being a victim. Why should this be the case? How boring a world without any images of nudity would be. There would be no celebration of the immense power of sexuality, no eroticism.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

While O'Connor's warnings about young artists being exploited by the music industry should be taken seriously, the implication is that naked or other sexual images of women inevitably entails the woman being a victim. Why should this be the case? How boring a world without any images of nudity would be. There would be no celebration of the immense power of sexuality, no eroticism.
    Such images don't require the woman (or man) to be a victim, but rather an object. The woman can be very much in control of her objectification, gaining whatever money, fame, or other benefits it brings. This sort of appearance-based notoriety, whether by men or women, even whether naked or fully clothed, is superficial at best, turning the human into nothing more than an organic art object. Better for it to be an attractive package for real talent, ability, character, even compassion. At the same time, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and both excessive covering up and excessive exposure have been used in the oppression of women.

What all this means is that (1) a woman (or man) must be able to exercise free choice in their appearance; and (2) negative responses to someone's choice may be based on taste and personal preference just as much as assumptions of victimhood.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Maybe it's just me but I thought it was fairly clear in the letter that the point is for her not to let others use her to their own personal benefit, not that she should never expose herself. Consider - http://media.irishcentral.com/images/Sinead+2.jpg

I think the point is that whatever Miley's choosing to do should ultimately come from Miley and be ultimately for Miley.

I can understand some saying that maybe this IS Miley choosing for herself but I think that in general there is a part of us that recognizes what is whole and healthy, even if it is sexy and provocative, and that is probably not what is going on with Miley right now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's what I took from it as well, skylights.

Miley shot back, btw, with a tweet mocking Sinead's struggle with bipolar disorder and comparing her to Amanda Bynes:

https://twitter.com/MileyCyrus/statu...160193/photo/1

which prompted a response on Facebook from Sinead:

Miley… Really? Who the f*&k is advising you? Because taking me on is even more f*&kin' stupid than behaving like a prostitute and calling it feminism. You have posted today tweets of mine which are two years old, which were posted by me when I was unwell and seeking help so as to make them look like they are recent. In doing so you mock myself and Amanda Bynes for having suffered with mental health issues and for having sought help.... Remove your tweets immediately or you will hear from my lawyers. I am certain you will be hearing from all manner of mental health advocacy groups also. It is not acceptable to mock any person for having suffered. It is most unbecoming of you to respond in such a fashion to someone who expressed care for you.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...three/2918903/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ Wow, that's a response. Possible that it would have been better to hear all this in private from someone close - but hard to imagine that it hasn't already been tried. The crazy thing is all the hype is actually showing how much people actually do like her, despite all the recent "weirdness".

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Woah drama.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think Miley knows how to get attention. I think her new "image" is entirely calculated. It seems to me like the nudity is all about commercial strategy not about any sort of higher artistic purpose. I don't know that it's sexuality so much as her image that's being prostituted. Perhaps it just me but it doesn't seem that anyone is taking her to particularly sexually attractive. It's more like a trainer wick scenario. She might think she's getting attention for being "edgy" but really it's people sort of watching her failing in that. I think the music industries realize that no ones really getting shocked here. You have adults who just find it sand bizarre and strangely fascinating and kids who don't know better and are interested in te idea of sex and drugs. I think thy are using miley as a fool and that's how she's really losing

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Slut shaming can be a valid concern, but I feel like a point is being reach amongst feminists when any attempt to ward against the age old problem of sexual exploitation is countered by accusations of slut shaming.
    Go to sleep, iguana.