User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yikes. What is a slut, in your opinion?
    "Slut" is generally used in a sexual context, but the essential characteristic to me is acting out of a lack of self-respect, usually in ways that are ultimately self-harming. The comedian in Rex's video touched on this at the beginning, when he mentioned women giving "it" away too freely. They don't respect their own value, which makes it easy for others not to respect it either.

I agree with the ideas expressed below as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I think the intent was not to trivialize the objectification of women, but rather to say that women who capitalize on their objectification for it's own sake aren't making much of a statement because viewing women as objects is in fact the norm. Especially when these women are drawing attention to themselves for these sexually provocative displays with apparently no deeper agenda or commentary. There's nothing interesting or empowering about that about essentially playing up a role women have been relegated to for centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by MP, quoting a comment on the article
    I don't care if these women want to show off their enviable figures. But as you so rightly pointed out, there is no there there. Let's reclaim our bodies and our nakedness, sure, but it's not out of line or inherently anti-woman to demand a reason for that reclamation other than "because". The very fact that male artists do not have to adhere to this less is less is less is more standard says volumes about what this is really about: objectification and sexualization, the reification of the female artist's body because the female artist's art does not, cannot, or is not seen as capable of standing on its own. Some I'm sure see this as a forward step, but it feels incredibly regressive to me.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

So let's say that next year st the VMAs or whatever we'd see, let's say, Justin Timberlake on stage in only a nude thong, grinding his ass up to a fully clothed Rihanna's crotch and sticking out his tongue. And a week later, Justin Timberlake would appear in a video where he dances around in a DIY store, butt naked, humping a drill and making out with a sander. Just think about that idea, imagine what it would be like. Do you have it? Now tell me, do you have any problem with Justin Timberlake 'acting slutty' and 'behaving like a prostitute' and 'showing off his body that should only be used by him and his girlfriend'?

I mean seriously, pipe the fuck down.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Who you telling to pipe down?

With Justin I'd think he was trying to be funny and if he was then I'd laugh I guess if not I'd have the same sort of reaction as I do with Miley which is whatever it is you're trying to do you're doing it so poorly that I want to cry out of embarrassment for you and feel a lil sick to my stomach that anyone might look up to her and think that it's cool in some way.

Like have you ever been around a friend all super drunk and embarrassing the shit out of herself in that way that will sort of ruin everyone's opinion of her forever probably ? That's how I feel except she's sober and its ongoing. Not just one slip up of stupidity.

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

You know what I mean. Double standards.

I had one of those friends by the way who was like that all the time too, but now that she got a boyfriend she got less crazy and a bit boring too. Very sad, I miss the old days
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This reminds me of the time that someone called a saturday morning childrens TV show on which Peter Audry was being interviewed and expected only to get raving fans of a junior teen age group calling in and instead someone calls in and tells him it doesnt matter what he does he'll only ever be an industry pawn. They told Audry he didnt have to answer but he said he wanted to but he had a pretty poor response, something along the lines that he was in a line of work like anyone else, he performed and got paid but that he was still a "serious artist".

I dont think anyone growing up today actually needs to be told that they're being "pimped" in the way that O'Connor is seeking to enlighten Cyrus here, they maybe need to be told that because they know what's happening and feeling like they are "choosing" to go along with it doesnt make them a sophisticate or anything, it really does not alter what is happening, there's nothing empowering about the position they are in.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

they don't need to because they already know?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    So let's say that next year st the VMAs or whatever we'd see, let's say, Justin Timberlake on stage in only a nude thong, grinding his ass up to a fully clothed Rihanna's crotch and sticking out his tongue. And a week later, Justin Timberlake would appear in a video where he dances around in a DIY store, butt naked, humping a drill and making out with a sander. Just think about that idea, imagine what it would be like. Do you have it? Now tell me, do you have any problem with Justin Timberlake 'acting slutty' and 'behaving like a prostitute' and 'showing off his body that should only be used by him and his girlfriend'?

I mean seriously, pipe the fuck down.
    I read all these accounts claiming how scandalous her performance was yada yada yada, and, honestly, after I watched it, I was like, "Wtf was the big deal? It wasn't that scandalous. Nothing I haven't seen far worse than a thousand times."

That being said, it was pathetic.

I felt just like Rihanna with that look she made.

It was fucking boring, Miley was not attractive, in the least, and her whole tongue-wagging thing is fucking unattractive and stupid.

Furthermore, to try to tie Miley's performance into feminism is fucking pathetic as well. Please, feel free to do so, tho, cuz it reveals how patently idiotic that line of argumentation really is. Her performance is nothing more than the trite pattern we've seen so many times from Hollywood and the entertainment industry: start with innocent-looking young girl, have her play off that schtick for a number of years, and then start completely exploiting her sexuality (they already were before, but it was just in preparation for the full-blown explicit exploitation that was to come later).

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Who you telling to pipe down?

With Justin I'd think he was trying to be funny and if he was then I'd laugh I guess if not I'd have the same sort of reaction as I do with Miley which is whatever it is you're trying to do you're doing it so poorly that I want to cry out of embarrassment for you and feel a lil sick to my stomach that anyone might look up to her and think that it's cool in some way.

Like have you ever been around a friend all super drunk and embarrassing the shit out of herself in that way that will sort of ruin everyone's opinion of her forever probably ? That's how I feel except she's sober and its ongoing. Not just one slip up of stupidity.
    Everything Lady X says above is spot on.

If Justin Timberlake did that, and it was a joke, and well-executed, it would be hilarious, cuz he'd be -- Justifiably -- mocking the stupidity of Miley's performance.

If he were doing it seriously, like, this is the direction he is seriously trying to take his career from now on, and this is what he feels is him authentically expressing himself, then his career would go down the shitter, and everyone would think something's wrong with him.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Just read Sinead's two letters to Miley.

Love that woman.

I wonder at what age Miley will wise the fuck up and realize that Sinead was right the whole time.

At that time she'll realize just how immature a little shit she really is right now, and be ashamed for responding the way she has to someone who is clearly, simply, and genuinely looking out for her well-being, and that of women around the world. Until then, she'll just listen to her Fi, and think it speaks truth, not knowing how unwise she actually is. I've experienced countless times the young ESFP thinking they know what the fucking they're talking about, only to years later come back and say, "Ok, I was wrong, and you were right. My bad." Funny thing is, it never seems to stop. The overarching lesson never seems to be learned. Fi uber alles.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I haven't been paying close attention to the whole ordeal, I've pretty much only read Sinead's first letter and skimmed the contents of this thread. This all reminds me of what happened after Fiona Apple released this video for Criminal though.

I'm going on memory here, but (if memory serves correctly) when she accepted the award for this video she gave a "this is bullshit" speech (which wasn't anywhere as typical then as it is now) and later very strongly expressed the opinion that she regretted making the video. She was pretty outspoken about how pressured she was into putting forth this particular image, and that she regretted it for many reasons. [Anyone else remember this?]

I think O'Connor knows what she's talking about, is my point. I just think it's unfortunate that she didn't go about it in a more tactful way, I think her approach did her a disservice (maybe an open editorial- but the open letter to Cyrus is....awkward/melodramatic).

eta: found the speech, which I'm pretty sure was for the award for that video.

Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    So let's say that next year st the VMAs or whatever we'd see, let's say, Justin Timberlake on stage in only a nude thong, grinding his ass up to a fully clothed Rihanna's crotch and sticking out his tongue. And a week later, Justin Timberlake would appear in a video where he dances around in a DIY store, butt naked, humping a drill and making out with a sander. Just think about that idea, imagine what it would be like. Do you have it? Now tell me, do you have any problem with Justin Timberlake 'acting slutty' and 'behaving like a prostitute' and 'showing off his body that should only be used by him and his girlfriend'
    That could provide more entertainment than he intended:

Why it's bad to get sexual gratification with shop equipment.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...