User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Just a matter of taste.

Or maybe she's just doing what she wants and meanwhile she has some trouble putting it the right way. We don't know.
    Art is about how you present ideas, "how you put them". So if she's "putting it the wrong way" it's totally reasonable to critique her as an artist. She has the opportunity to transmit her ideas to a wider audience than most other people. I thinks it's fair to critique what she does with their attention.

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yes.

Good taste, and bad taste.

There is no such thing as good or bad taste.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Yes, there is, actually.

Someone who thinks R.L. Stine is better than Shakespeare is an idiot (and wrong).

MBTI
    FREE

Is this some sort of FiTe communication thing?
    I was thinking the same thing. FiTe vs FeTi thinking.

I don't disagree that such a public maneuver might lead her to hit rock bottom more quickly and then cause her to reevaluate. I just have it in my mind that a private discussion between the two (it could be equally as blunt) would be more productive. For instance, someone who'd been there before (like O'Connor), could talk with Miley about how it's ok to make mistakes, but that the stuff she's been doing isn't going to help her in the long run, and that if she started behaving differently she could slowly build herself up again. Then, Miley could make the changes herself, while seeming to own them herself in the public eye. I'm really not a fan of public shaming save as a last resort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post

I don't disagree that such a public maneuver might lead her to hit rock bottom more quickly and then cause her to reevaluate. I just have it in my mind that a private discussion between the two (it could be equally as blunt) would be more productive. For instance, someone who'd been there before (like O'Connor), could talk with Miley about how it's ok to make mistakes, but that the stuff she's been doing isn't going to help her in the long run, and that if she started behaving differently she could slowly build herself up again. Then, Miley could make the changes herself, while seeming to own them herself in the public eye. I'm really not a fan of public shaming save as a last resort.
    I don't disagree with any of this, but as already been pointed out, there was more at stake for Sinead than just "helping Miley". Personally, I feel it was a bit graceless for her to use someone who could clearly use the guidance as some sort of platform (not to mention ironic given that the whole thrust of her critique was concerning the vile men of the industry who are pimping Miley for their own benefit).

Otoh, let's say Sinead does the purely altruistic thing. She approaches Miley privately, gives her the same admonishments she did in her letter, but manages to build some sort of relationship. If Miley continues to act out in the way that she has, and it is known that Sinead has positioned herself as some kind of a mentor without it being known what her actual position is, then it plays in the press like she apart of the bullshit, you know? If I were her, Id have done both as the only means to cover my bases. I'd have reached out to Miley one-on-one, then released some kind of (milder) statement about how I had spoken to her about the dangers of exploitation in the industry and the responsibility that this young woman has to herself.

That that didn't occur to Sinead or at least one of her handlers says to me that there really isnt that much difference between these two women but age. Miley had to rebuke Sinead in the painful and personal way that she did for her own peace of mind. She'll be lucky if she manages half the acclaim before she utterly and publicly decompensates as well. It's sad and infuriating, really.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post

Why do you think Fe users are more against public shaming than Fi users?

These are new thoughts, but I think it might have to do with the higher degree of embarrassment you all seem to experience. It probably causes a revulsion towards and fear of public humiliation that is more strongly felt than by Fi users. (I'm taking this Fe-embarrassment stuff from Nardi, who talks about it in his neuropsychology book, and who saw it clearly [and interestingly] demonstrated by Fe users.)

Anyway, seeing as how I don't care about public shaming as you do, and that I think Sinead was not solely trying to help Miley, but was actually both trying to help Miley, and trying to help young impressionable girls all over the world (a la Fiona Apple's acceptance speech as well), not only do I think it was perfectly acceptable on her part, but highly effective as well.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Do you actually enjoy Miley Cyrus or has the conversation just struck to close to home for you?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

FigerPuppet

Holy Christ. Why do you guys care so much about this? It's one media whore against another. Let them die in silence.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Anyway, seeing as how I don't care about public shaming as you do, and that I think Sinead was not solely trying to help Miley, but was actually both trying to help Miley, and trying to help young impressionable girls all over the world (a la Fiona Apple's acceptance speech as well), not only do I think it was perfectly acceptable on her part, but highly effective as well.
    That's what I was thinking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Holy Christ. Why do you guys care so much about this? It's one media whore against another. Let them die in silence.
    What is interesting is how people are reacting to what Sinead did. It's sort of fascinating because there is such a divergence of opinion.

It would also be foolish to think that media doesn't influence culture/people and that making a statement about something you believe in related to that might be important.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    #TeamMiley
    Should've figured