User Tag List

123 Last

Default Deos small town America exist anymore?

As depicted in movies like Me, Myself and Irene or Last Stand? Or have those communities been killed off?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

They do still exist, more or less. But methamphetamine has created a lot of social chaos, from the rust belt all the way to the Olympic peninsula in Western Washington.
    But my home town in Western Montana is still the same as ever, it seems. Cold, grey and full of poor people barely making it, but also with some nice touches, like a carrousel with hand built horses, an orchestra, a summer state fair with livestock and cotton candy, and a state university that keeps the economy vital.
    And the summers are spectaular, but you have to wait a long time for it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was just in Small Town USA yesterday.
    I had forgotten what it was like.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I drove through oklahoma once. Stopped a gas station that was straight out of fallout 3. Across the street was a rusty trailer park full of people who were most probably in-bred.

Yes they exist. They are small, and hard to find, but they exist. There are tons of them in colorado. Everyone is sorta huddled together in the mountains. Its awesome, and its a lot of fun to journey from town to town and visit the mountain bars with crazy bearded folk who cut wood for a living and tell stories about how they once killed an offending moose with a shovel.

WALMART

Of course they do. Still schools where everyone knows each other's momma and everything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I haven't seen those movies, but I've lived in three towns of 5K or fewer people. Will not willingly do so again. They seemed insular and unwelcoming to me, but I was an outsider. If you're not an outsider or better at social stuff or have a lot of money they might be okay.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    9w8

I live in a small town. I love it, but then again, I am a backwoods hillbilly.

EDIT: Found this song. It's kind of old, but I'd heard it on the radio before. It says what I think pretty well. Unless you were born in a small town and raised in a small town, you probably won't get it. It's easy to judge when you're on the outside looking in. People come here all of the time to fix us ignorant, "smalltown", "inbred" hillbillies. People have been trying to fix us "savage" "uneducated" Natives for years, too. I doubt they're ever gonna succeed Hope nobody takes this personally. I'm just saying...

P.S. I don't like the pictures, but wanted people to be able to read the lyrics.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Thanks, Ene.

Time to listen to Melloncamp on youtube!

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Thanks, Ene.

Time to listen to Melloncamp on youtube!
    You are welcome! I have to admit. I like Mellancamp. There's something about him, dont' know what it is but he's got...umph!
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@Lark

What is your impression of small town USA? It's always interesting to hear what people find exotic about your home.