First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I don't think so. As Peter Schiff pointed out, non-subsidized procedures like liposuction cost $2000 in 1995 and $2,884 in 2011. Adjusted for inflation, it's slightly cheaper today. Other non-subsidized procedures like LASIK have seen 30% drops in price.
    Lipo and lasik are both voluntary procedures are subject to market forces. No one is going to get lasik or lipo if they are cost prohibitive, so there's an incentive to drop the price. Life saving procedures like chemo and heart surgery are not voluntary and are not subject to market forces, the incentive is to raise the price.

The primary reason why health care is expensive is because of government subsidies and other government policies like mandated coverage. Most states have a list of required procedures that insurers must provide like birth control. These mandates automatically increase premiums and once you have the insurance, you're going to want to use that service whether or not you really need it. This drives up consumption and cost as well.
    Mandated coverage laws should raise the cost of coverage, why wouldn't they? Are we going to allow insurance companies to get away without providing essential services? Especially since most people get insurance from their employer, they don't always have much of a choice in the insurance they get. Do we not need these services that are being mandated, and why would someone use more of a mandated service, versus a non-mandated service?

Malpractice insurance is very expensive (over $100K/year) and 1 in 14 doctors get sued for malpractice each year. Unfortunately, the Democrats refused to address tort reform because trial lawyers are a major donor. If a doctor has to spend $100K on malpractice insurance, do you think he's going to raise prices or lower prices?
    Malpractice lawsuits don't seem to be as much of an issue in countries with socialized medicine, and republicans don't seem to be lining up to solve this either (except they keep saying tort reform is something we need, man I really wish someone would get on this tort reform issue). Yes, malpractice insurance makes healthcare more expensive, and it will always be that way. There's no evidence that tort reform will reduce it by much, and there's no evidence to implicate democrats over republicans in this matter. (unless you have any hidden away?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I've already addressed the cost issue earlier. The reason why medical care is so expensive is because of government subsidies, regulations (like Obamacare), mandated services from insurance companies, frivolous lawsuits, and illegal immigration. There are ways to address these problems without wasting billions of dollars and growing the bureaucracy.
    Government regulations can solve the illegal immigration problem (like not making them illegal anymore so they can get health insurance).
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Who has been threatened with prison time? I believe the penalty is a small tax, this was determined to be legal in the supreme court, yes? I mean, unless you have a wingnut blog to point me to that says otherwise?
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Who has been threatened with prison time? I believe the penalty is a small tax,
    What happens if you object to paying this, or any other "small tax"?

this was determined to be legal in the supreme court, yes?
    Most governments declare what they do "legal" over the course of recorded history.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Quote Originally Posted by OWK View Post
    What happens if you object to paying this, or any other "small tax"?
    George Washington rises from the grave and uppercuts you. This question is absurd. I'm sure someone will try it though, that will be fun to watch.

Most governments declare what they do "legal" over the course of recorded history.
    Governments are not singular entities though, and the courts strike down laws all the time.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

This question is absurd.
    Why is it absurd?

The fact that you don't want to provide the obvious answer makes clear that it is not absurd.

Only uncomfortable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Governments are not singular entities though, and the courts strike down laws all the time.
    And as the history of the Third Reich teaches us, courts approve some pretty horrific things as well.

Just as they do in this country.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

@OWK Actually I'm excited to see some self proclaimed hero go to court for refusing to pay the Obamacare tax. I also hope he wears a tri-corner hat.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    @OWK Actually I'm excited to see some self proclaimed hero go to court for refusing to pay the Obamacare tax. I also hope he wears a tri-corner hat.
    His choice of garments notwithstanding, what is it you are excited to see happen to this person?

Imprisonment?

Didn't you just ask "Who has been threatened with prison time? "

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

They'd probably withhold any tax refund or garnish wages. If they are self-employed or work under the table, I guess they might eventually incarcerate them. I wonder how many people will be willing to go to the federal pen over a 2.5% fine.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    They'd probably withhold any tax refund or garnish wages. If they are self-employed or work under the table, I guess they might eventually incarcerate them. I wonder how many people will be willing to go to the federal pen over a 2.5% fine.

If you resist government taxation, you risk imprisonment.

If you resist imprisonment, you risk death.

That is the implicit threat behind government claims on your earnings.

And that is why few resist.