INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    "Nothing" is the correct answer.
    If you're rich.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

"Nothing" is the correct answer.
    Yes... "nothing" is the correct answer if one ignores "lack of money", "pre-existing conditions", "being self-employed", etc. Lots of things kept insuring particular children and adults out of reach in practice.

Yes, the well-off and healthy subsidize the poor and unhealthy. Thems the breaks for being a citizen in a society that benefits and is biased towards the well-off in innumerable ways. (I'm fortunate enough to count myself among the healthy and reasonably well-off.)

Tangentially, I've always found the linking of employer and health insurer to be an odd historical artifact and one that prevented individuals from having any free market choice. I'm glad that relationship is somewhat weakened under the ACA, so that insurers can compete in an open market.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If you're rich.
    Tell that to the young people who have to shell out money for services they won't be needing - because they are young.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-r...ry?id=22690267
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Yes... "nothing" is the correct answer if one ignores "lack of money", "pre-existing conditions", "being self-employed", etc. Lots of things kept insuring particular children and adults out of reach in practice.

Yes, the well-off and healthy subsidize the poor and unhealthy. Thems the breaks for being a citizen in a society that benefits and is biased towards the well-off in innumerable ways. (I'm fortunate enough to count myself among the healthy and reasonably well-off.)

Tangentially, I've always found the linking of employer and health insurer to be an odd historical artifact and one that prevented individuals from having any free market choice. I'm glad that relationship is somewhat weakened under the ACA, so that insurers can compete in an open market.
    You should hope not, because then Obamacare is screwed. (It is anyway.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Tell that to the young people who have to shell out money for services they won't be needing - because they are young.

Yes, it's true you can no longer willfully gamble by underinsuring yourself in hopes of staying healthy. That kind of thing has sometimes been called demonstrating "personal responsibility." It's not like the poor and young don't get the same subsidies as the poor and old. I'm fine, personally, subsidizing those who are less well off. The subsidies stop at 400% of the poverty level (which is about 46K per year for a single person). So while I'd rather have a more graduated cost placing more burden on the rich, that doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to me.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Yes, it's true you can no longer willfully gamble by underinsuring yourself in hopes of staying healthy. That kind of thing has sometimes been called demonstrating "personal responsibility." It's not like the poor and young don't get the same subsidies as the poor and old. I'm fine, personally, subsidizing those who are less well off. The subsidies stop at 400% of the poverty level (which is about 46K per year for a single person). So while I'd rather have a more graduated cost placing more burden on the rich, that doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to me.
    More burden... and more burden... then more and more burden...

Slippery slope.

This begins to smell like Rand's dystopian novel Atlas Shrugged.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

That's how insurance works. It's been years since I've been in a car accident, but I am paying for auto insurance.

There are income-based subsidies and, in states that haven't chosen to opt out, medicaid expansions. And the fines are not huge. No more than 2.5% of one's annual income, if I'm reading correctly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Well, let us all hope that those young "invincibles" do not get ill, or get in an accident if they chose not to sign up. Ultimately, it is a tough decision and a gamble and just like @café said, I would not wish such a thing on my worst enemy.

Obamacare is a hybrid system and as such it has more weaknesses than a universal health care system but it is a step forward from a debate that has been stuck in a quagmire of political b.s. for far too long. I would anticipate reform, amendments and (hopefully) a more enlightened and economically sound program in the future. I wish we had a system that was modeled after South Korea (watching a legislative forum it sounded far more progressive than the ACA).
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's how insurance works. It's been years since I've been in a car accident, but I am paying for auto insurance.

There are income-based subsidies and, in states that haven't chosen to opt out, medicaid expansions. And the fines are not huge. No more than 2.5% of one's annual income, if I'm reading correctly.
    You're paying a private auto insurer. This auto insurer wants to make a profit. Profit is what frees us to do things such as -- being civilized.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Subsidizing a product only serves to drive up cost. If hospitals and doctors know they can charge $14 for an aspirin, they will do so. Health procedures that are not subsidized such as boob implants, lasik eye surgery, and liposuction have actually gone down in cost. This is why health savings accounts is the much better alternative. If patients are going to pay for the service themselves, they will be far less likely to waste the money on visits for the common cold, sprains, and cuts.

If you haven't already figured it out, Obamacare is not about providing the best health service or insuring the poor; it's about government control over your life.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.