User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    By that standard, I'm not sure the New Deal or the Great Society would have survived.
    I'm not going to waste my time explaining how the world (and the political environment) was different back then.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm not going to waste my time explaining how the world (and the political environment) was different back then.
    Are Americans fundamentally more selfish now?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Are Americans fundamentally more selfish now?
    Stereotype.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Someone fixed the thread title typo
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From The Hill:

ObamaCare enrollees skew older

Too few young people are signing up for ObamaCare to stop premiums from skyrocketing, new data released by the administration on Monday shows.

Only 24 percent of ObamaCare's enrollees are young people, according to the new data, well below the 40 percent benchmark set by the administration for the critical 18- to 34-year-old age group.
    Thirty-three percent of the 2.2 million who had selected a plan through the exchanges as of December were between the ages of 55 and 64, the Health Department said Monday.

To keep premiums affordable, experts say it is vital that the law attract about that many young and healthy "invincibles" unlikely to need critical care to balance out older and sicker uninsured people who enroll and will be more costly to the system.

The administration struck a confident tone during a conference call with reporters, arguing that the law will work fine at present demographic levels.

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius pointed to December data in arguing the percentage of young people who will enroll is likely to rise. She said the momentum with young enrollees “was particularly strong” in December, when the administration says it saw an eight-fold increase in the number of 18- to 34-year-olds signing up.

“We expected older adults to sign up early and we expect more young adults to come in by the end of the second enrollment period,” HHS Deputy Assistant Nancy Delew said.

But Republicans quickly worked to discredit the numbers, sending out stories highlighting how the figures fell below the administration's hopes.

“There’s no way to spin it: youth enrollment has been a bust so far," Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), said in a statement. "When they see that Obamacare offers high costs for limited access to doctors — if the enrollment goes through at all — it’s no surprise that young people aren’t rushing to sign up.”

Officials said they expect young adults to sign up in higher numbers before open enrollment ends on March 31, as many observers expected younger and healthier people would put off enrolling until the last second.

It was also expected that some of the nation's sickest people who were uninsured would rush first to the next exchanges.

The 40 percent benchmark is for the end of March, which gives the administration time to raise the percentage of young people enrolling in ObamaCare, an effort it is advancing over the next three months with a major public relations and advertising campaign.

Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) spokeswoman Julie Bataille said Monday that a “sustained outreach effort” aimed at young people was underway.

In addition to a planned ad campaign during the Sochi Olympics, Bataille said the HHS has conducted or planned more than 2,000 public education activities across the country at music festivals and community colleges where young people are likely to gather.

“We’re only halfway through open enrollment and we expect an increase in proportion of young adults as we go forward,” said Office of Health Reform director Mike Hash.
    Delew said the early demographics are in line with what the Massachusetts exchange experienced when it launched under then-Gov. Mitt Romney in 2007.

A Kaiser Family Foundation study released last year said that if 18- to 34-year-olds made up only 25 percent of the pool of enrollees, as they do now, it would be a “worst case” scenario that could lead to higher premiums.

Kaiser also said the administration’s target for that age group should be 40 percent, because that’s the proportion of young adults in the potential market for private plans on the exchanges.

But Gary Cohen, the deputy administrator and director for the CMS, said Monday that a 25 percent target is a more accurate benchmark, because that’s the total portion of 18- to 34-year-olds in the U.S. population.

Cohen argued that the administration was targeting everyone in that age group, not just the uninsured, because many that were previously insured in the private markets will seek out ObamaCare coverage for less expensive plans or to take advantage of federal subsidies.

The HHS said Monday that 79 percent of those who have selected a plan have received some financial assistance.

Hash said the focus on Kaiser’s 40 percent number has been “overblown” because the report also says that even if the administration only hits the 25 percent mark, there would be no “death spiral” — only a modest rise in premiums next year.

“The demographics we’re reporting are similar to our expectations,” Delew said.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm not going to tire of kicking this dead horse. Bumpety bump.

Oregon spends $300 million on their state-run Obamacare website and has zero enrollees. That's 0, nada, zilch. How is that even possible? That's the budget of entire cities and you don't even get 1 guy to sign up?

"By all accounts Cover Oregon has been a spectacular failure. The state was granted $300 million dollars on an ambitious website that, to date, has not enrolled a single person."

Cover Oregon Town Hall: Democrats and Republicans Argue Over Who is to Blame

Since no Republicans voted for Obamacare, I don't see why they should get any blame for it.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I'm not going to tire of kicking this dead horse. Bumpety bump.

Oregon spends $300 million on their state-run Obamacare website and has zero enrollees. That's 0, nada, zilch. How is that even possible? That's the budget of entire cities and you don't even get 1 guy to sign up?

"By all accounts Cover Oregon has been a spectacular failure. The state was granted $300 million dollars on an ambitious website that, to date, has not enrolled a single person."

Cover Oregon Town Hall: Democrats and Republicans Argue Over Who is to Blame

Since no Republicans voted for Obamacare, I don't see why they should get any blame for it.
    Maximus also had two bomb threats (notes found in one of the restrooms in the Maximus building), causing us to be evacuated from a nearby building. Hooray for pay without work!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Politico:

Hobby Lobby case: Justices skeptical of White House position

The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed skepticism of the legality of the Obama administration’s refusal to accommodate for-profit companies’ religious objections to the Obamacare requirement that most firms provide contraception in their employee health plans.

A majority of the justices seemed particularly doubtful of one of the administration’s central arguments on the issue: the claim that for-profit companies have no religious rights under federal law......

LadyLazarus

It had the word Obama in it, did anyone honestly expect it to be a good thing?!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

i guess it depends on what you read. The AP stuff mostly says it looks like three judges sympathetic to Hobby Lobby, three sympathetic to the government, two of the remaining three probably splitting, and Kennedy as a potential swing vote.

Also the possibility that the decision will be very narrow (based on questions being asked), to avoid opening up the larger can of worms about religious freedoms.

EDIT:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/suprem...174042478.html
    (taken from Business Insider)

The Supreme Court sounded "ready" to throw out the part of the Affordable Care Act that requires certain religious corporations to offer employees contraceptive coverage, according to a report in The Los Angeles Times.

The court's conservative justices were sharply critical of the provision in the law. The women j ustices, meanwhile — liberals Elena Kagan , Sonia Sotomayor, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg — defended the law, according to the Times.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, a swing voter with a libertarian bent, told U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, who defended the mandate, that his reasoning " would permit requiring profit-making corporations to pay for abortions."

The rule at stake under the health-care overhaul is a provision in the ACA that requires all new health insurance plans to pay for contraceptives. The issue is whether for-profit corporations — in this case, the lead plaintiff Hobby Lobby Inc. — can refuse to provide all or some contraceptive services.

Verrilli argued that for-profit corporations should not have a right to religious liberty that supersedes federal law. He told Chief Justice John Roberts it would potentially open the floodgates for for-profit corporations to claim exemptions.

But Roberts said Congress passed the 1993 Religious Freedom Act for that reason, and he hinted at a possible narrower ruling that focuses on more closely held companies, according to The Wall Street Journal...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft