User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ Well that was not the bill of goods that was sold to us.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From RealClearPolitics:

CBS's Attkisson: Only 6 People Enrolled In Obamacare On First Day

There is a video of the segment in the link I posted above.

The text of that follows.

SCOTT PELLEY: Good evening. For 31 days now, the Obama administration has been telling us that Americans by the millions are visiting the the new health insurance web site despite all of its problems, but no one in the administration has been willing to tell us how many policies have been purchased, and this may be the reason. CBS News has learned enrollments got off to an incredibly slow start. Sharyl Attkisson obtained documents that haven't been seen by the public until now.

ATTKISSON: Early enrollment figures are contained in notes from twice a day war room meetings from the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid services after the web site failed on October 1st. They were turned over in response to a document request from the House Oversight Committee. The web site launched on Tuesday.

Publicly, the government said there were 4.7 million unique visits in the first 24 hours, but at a meeting Wednesday morning, the war room notes say 6 enrollments have occurred so far. They were with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, CareSource, and Health Care Service Corporation. By Wednesday afternoon, enrollments were up to approximately 100. By the end of Wednesday, the notes reflect 248 enrollments nationwide.

The health care exchanges need to average 39,000 enrollees a day to meet the goal of 7 million by March 1st. The war room notes give a glimpse into some of the reasons customers had problems. Direct enrollment -- signing up directly on an insurer's web site -- is not working for any issuers. Experian credit reporting agency is creating confusion with credit check information. Issuer phone numbers are not appearing correctly on the pay now page.

The notes leave no doubt the enrollment figures, which the administration has chosen to keep secret, are available. Statistics coming in say notes from the very first meeting, the morning of October 2nd, contractor QSSI has a daily dash board create the every night. But head of CMS, Marilyn Tavenner, wouldn't disclose the figures, when Dave Camp, chair of the House Ways and Means Committee, asked earlier this week.

REP. DAVE CAMP: How do you not know how many people have enrolled?

TAVENNER: Chairman Camp, we will have those numbers available mid-November.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Politico

Six enrolled on health site on Day 1

The schadenfruede is strong......

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Good morning. Looking forward to another long day of the PPACA not working.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I'm in favor of what it's supposed to do. But we're unprepared, and the implementation sucks.
    Agreed.

Medical supplies are expensive here; until that changes, the implementation will be very inefficient compared to that of, say, Canada. However, if we do implement it, this difficulty should be mitigated by the growing number of government owned medical products, the demand, and ultimately, the deflation of expense. Given that our current government owned healthcare programs are fairly efficient as it is, I'm willing to place my money on Obamacare in the long term, if only for the welfare of others where I live.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

All the kings horses and all the kings men could not put the ACA back together again.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

While the Obama administration is not doing so well, there is interestingly no sign that the Democratic brand is being particularly hurt by this. Perhaps because the Republican capacity to mock the ACA rollout is not matched by any ability to make suggestions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Since it's just resulted in the US Government shutting down.

Why is it so bad?
    No, an imploding Republican party, a lack of leadership from all sides, and partisan childishness are what resulted in the shutdown.

Obamacare was just an arbitrary reason.

What's wrong with it is that it validates insurance companies as the primary drivers of the healthcare industry, which is disastrous since insurance companies have been the thing wrong with the healthcare industry since the late 1990s. I'll give Obama credit that he tried to at least bring about some kind of critical limits to what insurance companies could get away with, but (again) he did it by validating insurance companies instead of shifting the focus back to doctors.

To sum up:

We're paying insurance companies to allow us the ability to pay our doctors.

They're middlemen who literally do nothing in our healthcare. They don't provide any service directly associated with getting sick and being treated. They don't change bed pans, they don't buy machines for doctors to test us, they don't check our throats or ears or eyes.

We pay them to tell us what we can be treated for.

That's what's wrong with our healthcare system, and since Obamacare secures them as the central figures of what should be hospitals and doctors, it's an accessory to what's wrong with our healthcare system.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    While the Obama administration is not doing so well, there is interestingly no sign that the Democratic brand is being particularly hurt by this. Perhaps because the Republican capacity to mock the ACA rollout is not matched by any ability to make suggestions.
    The laws failure speaks to the misgivings brought up by the right all along.

Can you keep your plan, for millions in the private market the answer is nope.

And when the employer mandate kicks in we will see another round of cancellations, but lets make sure the law lasts that long before we start making predictions on such a long time scale.

It would be political poison to have insisted on a higher penalty, but since they didn't ($95 or 1% of income whichever is greater) the young invincibles have no incentive to sign up. Coincidentally it is those invincibles that have to enroll for the law's math to work, but even then it rests on wholely unrealistic predictions of future economic growth in the US.

Then there is the larger question, should we be allowed to choose plans with only the coverage we want.

If people want lesser coverage they should be able to get it. Catastrophic coverage makes a whole lot of sense to a whole lot of people.

Why punish them? And ore to the point, I would like to think we live in a country where our gov't doesn't presume to know better than I do what my specific health needs are and where I am able to buy coverage in a market that reflects the expense of my personal coverage.

I would like to think we live in a country where a single person making 46K isn't assumed to need subsidies. Last time I checked 46k is middle class.

It makes perfect sense however, if you are trying to subsidize the greatest number of people possible to get votes.

The laws failures speak to the inherent limitations within the faith much of the left places in top down technocratic solutions.

The laws failures speak to the fact that it was the left alone that pushed this baby through the birth canal of congress.

It doubles down on the failures extant within our system in an effort to remedy them. In that task it will not be a success, the law will not lower the cost of healthcare in the US.

We need to sit back and bask in the heat of the fire that is this train wreck.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The laws failure speaks to the misgivings brought up by the right all along.

Can you keep your plan, for millions in the private market the answer is nope.

And when the employer mandate kicks in we will see another round of cancellations, but lets make sure the law lasts that long before we start making predictions on such a long time scale.

It would be political poison to have insisted on a higher penalty, but since they didn't ($95 or 1% of income whichever is greater) the young invincibles have no incentive to sign up. Coincidentally it is those invincibles that have to enroll for the law's math to work, but even then it rests on wholely unrealistic predictions of future economic growth in the US.

Then there is the larger question, should we be allowed to choose plans with only the coverage we want.

If people want lesser coverage they should be able to get it. Catastrophic coverage makes a whole lot of sense to a whole lot of people.

Why punish them? And ore to the point, I would like to think we live in a country where our gov't doesn't presume to know better than I do what my specific health needs are and where I am able to buy coverage in a market that reflects the expense of my personal coverage.

I would like to think we live in a country where a single person making 46K isn't assumed to need subsidies. Last time I checked 46k is middle class.
    This is what I mean. You have misgivings. You can say what you don't like about ACA. But satisfaction with American health care as it exists is very low. It needs to be changed, and I do not see and positive, affirmative suggestions in this post. What is your alternative to both ACA and the crap situation before ACA?

It makes perfect sense however, if you are trying to subsidize the greatest number of people possible to get votes.
    Oh, God. You believe Mitt Romney's post-defeat temper tantrum about "gifts".

The laws failures speak to the inherent limitations within the faith much of the left places in top down technocratic solutions.
    In this is where you are precisely the opposite of correct. Because if the system were single payer and implemented some kind of price determining body, it would be vastly superior to ACA or what we had before, but I presume you'd consider that even more of a top down technocratic solution.

Which comes to another important point...

The laws failures speak to the fact that it was the left alone that pushed this baby through the birth canal of congress.
    If the left were brave and powerful enough to push whatever they wanted through, you'd have aforementioned single player and price controlling body. It's because of more conservative members of the Democratic party and strategically anxious members of the left wing that ACA is like it is. Now, those attempts to placate anyone outside of the Democratic party totally failed, and those attempts to make the Democrats face less backlash for the law totally failed, but that was the intention never the less. The law you see is not the law a monomaniacal left wing would have given you.

It doubles down on the failures extant within our system in an effort to remedy them. In that task it will not be a success, the law will not lower the cost of healthcare in the US.
    I'm not so sure, but you might be right, and if does it won't do so as much as it should. But that's pretty much because of it being a moderate, wishy-washy bill.

We need to sit back and bask in the heat of the fire that is this train wreck.
    I'd get by that only if people understand that avoiding the problem in round 2 means the adjustments I suggested above.

...And that the Republican party has persisted in refusing to provide any requested funding to the ACA rollout thus are partly complicit in the troubles its currently facing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.