User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Government shutdown

Who's to blame, if anyone, if the government shuts down at the end of the month?
    "In Heaven, everything is fine." - The Lady in the Radiator

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Socionics
    ESI None

Is this an actual question? As in, the US government might be shutting down? Not sure how I feel about that, if it were the case.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The government has not agreed on a budget, so a lot of the government will shut down / go on furlough until a budget is determined. I'm basically jobless (although technically I'm not allowed to go on vacation because I'm still "employed") until they get their act together, as of tomorrow, at a time in my life when I have no savings and can't get my head above water for another month or two. It's infuriating.

A lot of people who do their jobs well are being screwed over by these guys because they're still trying to get Obamacare defunded (it would go into effect tomorrow?) despite them already having passed it and having had the Supreme Court declare it constitutional... at cost of destablizing the entire economy, having foreign investors pull out of the stock market, etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The government has not agreed on a budget, so a lot of the government will shut down / go on furlough until a budget is determined. I'm basically jobless (although technically I'm not allowed to go on vacation because I'm still "employed") until they get their act together, as of tomorrow, at a time in my life when I have no savings and can't get my head above water for another month or two. It's infuriating.

A lot of people who do their jobs well are being screwed over by these guys because they're still trying to get Obamacare defunded (it would go into effect tomorrow?) despite them already having passed it and having had the Supreme Court declare it constitutional... at cost of destablizing the entire economy, having foreign investors pull out of the stock market, etc.
    That implies you believe it is the Republicans who are to blame?

There won't be a 'shutdown'.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    That implies you believe it is the Republicans who are to blame?
    The bottom line for me is that the issue was already voted on, and the issue was already reviewed by the highest legal court, and now a faction of Republicans is attempting to revoke something already ratified by simply refusing to fund it by threatening to layoff over a million government workers and really souse the economy. There is no reason to be dragging it back into yet ANOTHER session; it was a done deal months/years back.

I don't think even Boehner wants to shut things down, but he's kind of in a corner.

There won't be a 'shutdown'.
    Thank you for your persuasive argument, I don't think I've heard a more articulate explanation.

There's barely any time for anyone at this point to avoid it, even if they'd choose not to at the last minute. Here at work, we're battening down the hatches and locking everything down for our time away.

But it would be nice if you were right.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

The bottom line for me is that the issue was already voted on, and the issue was already reviewed by the highest legal court, and now a faction of Republicans is attempting to revoke something already ratified by simply refusing to fund it by threatening to layoff over a million government workers and really souse the economy. There is no reason to be dragging it back into yet ANOTHER session; it was a done deal months/years back.
    It's especially infuriating since the votes are there in the house to pass the budget, but thanks to adherence to the "Hastert Rule" (and the potential Tea Party backlash) Boehner isn't letting the budget be brought to a vote.

[...]

There's barely any time for anyone at this point to avoid it, even if they'd choose not to at the last minute. Here at work, we're battening down the hatches and locking everything down for our time away.
    The only consolation to there being a government shut down is that it might prevent a battle over the debt ceiling (it would be catastrophic if we defaulted on our debt) should it prove sufficiently unpopular (which is likely, should it happen). A government shutdown is bad enough, but welshing on debt for things we'd already bought and crashing the economy is morally reprehensible on so many levels. Sometimes it seems like the craziest people have the most power, because they may not care who they take down with them.

That a government shutdown may perhaps be the contextually lesser evil is cold comfort to all the workers who will be furloughed (not getting paid unexpectedly is awesome!), all the people who depend on the services being defunded, etc, etc. It's definitely the last thing we need in our puny economic recovery.

MBTI
    INTP

it was a done deal months/years back.
    If they wanted it to be a done deal they shouldn't have passed, without bipartisan support, a huge bill that requires the ongoing support of all branches of government to function, and if Obama and the Democrats cared more about the economy than they did the imposition of a program a sizable majority of Americans still oppose, they would not categorically refuse to put the matter up for negotiation. Apparently, both sides care more about Obamacare, one way or another, than they do the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    If they wanted it to be a done deal they shouldn't have passed, without bipartisan support, a huge bill that requires the ongoing support of all branches of government to function, and if Obama and the Democrats cared more about the economy than they did the imposition of a program a sizable majority of Americans still oppose, they would not categorically refuse to put the matter up for negotiation. Apparently, both sides care more about Obamacare, one way or another, than they do the economy.
    Bingo
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

At the very least, they will pass some sort of short term CR (week, month etc..) to give the chambers a little breathing room to figure it out.

Given the way the law polls, and the way it was passed, it makes sense to do everything possible to hinder it except shutdown.

Currently, its looking like they are pushing a year long delay of the individual mandate. Its yet to be seen whether this tactic has any chance.

I'll post much more when not at work, as the topic is deserving of such.