User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    More specifically, the number of part time jobs goes way up during a recession (and initial parts of a recovery, especially one as tepid as ours)... that's sadly typical. There are more people who are willing to work part time (since they can't find full time jobs), and it's cheaper to hire them. You can see a spike every time in the chart where there's a gray recession bar.

So, the percentage of people working part time for economic reasons:

Where you'll note that percentage is falling since 2009... plus, looks like forced part time work (for economic reasons) peeked right before Obama care was passed.
    I'd have to know exactly what this definition is, and what the others available are as well, to know exactly what this is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Also note:

Where recently jobs just over the ACA limit are keeping up with jobs just under (although I'd rather have a seasonably adjusted chart, since summer jobs can be distorting).

None of this makes things suck any less for the friend of @Little_Sticks, but again... it seems the data don't (yet) support companies dumping lots of people because of ObamaCare, especially since the employer provision has been delayed a year (not that there aren't other provisions that could have an effect).
    Huffington Post, eh?

Too bad they didn't realize that, on a percentage basis, the bottom line has increased significantly more (~50%) than the top line.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, gosh, look at that.
    Furlough.

Maybe they'll scrape something together as a stopgap before the week ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    And I don't trust any of you that ignore these realities and pretend that this is going to be a good thing. And I especially don't trust Jennifer when she pretends people shouldn't use every ability they have to stop something that has hurt them and is going to hurt them (or other people).
    If it were as clear-cut a matter as the ACA being bad for everyone, then there would not be any fighting over it -- everyone would shitcan it. More realistically, it looks like it will be helpful to some and not helpful to others, and we're arguing about which poison is worse or which cure is better.

Anyway, this isn't a matter of "whether you trust Jennifer or not," it's a matter of what you think is good and bad about the ACA; so please leave me out of your commentary and just talk about the law itself, if you feel you have some legitimate gripes. I typically avoid bringing your name up, and I'm quite happy when you don't mention mine.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I'm so glad I don't live in a country governed by angry children.

Was reminded of 'The West Wing' too, of course:

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by taylord View Post
    Who's to blame, if anyone, if the government shuts down at the end of the month?
    Tea party republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Tea party republicans.
    You don't get to break government and then complain how broken government is.

We are on to your game.

This has turned me into someone who has a strong political opinion. If the tea party's aim is to show themselves as sore loosers with no sense of limits or moderation, they've succeeded.

At this point, I am even considering campaigning to get every Republican in California, Texas, and New York voted out of office.

If the Tea Party had not shutdown the government, I was considering returning to vote candidate by candidate, and often includes a republican.

But it is clear that pet peaves are being put forward as points of "compromise" against real harm.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

We are on to your game.

This has turned me into someone who has a strong political opinion. If the tea party's aim is to show themselves as sore loosers with no sense of limits or moderation, they've succeeded.

At this point, I am even considering campaigning to get every Republican in California, Texas, and New York voted out of office.

If the Tea Party had not shutdown the government, I was considering returning to vote candidate by candidate, and often includes a republican.

But it is clear that pet peaves are being put forward as points of "compromise" against real harm.
    This may blow in the Repubs' faces.
    There may be backlash at the polls, so just wait.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

We are on to your game.

Why do the Democrats, who have explicitly stated that they will not compromise, versus the Republicans, who have passed bills that do offer compromise, get no share of the blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Why do the Democrats, who have explicitly stated that they will not compromise, versus the Republicans, who have passed bills that do offer compromise, get no share of the blame?
    Because the "compromise" in this instance is a sham.

We are talking about defunding a law passed two election cycles ago. This is not a precedent for the form of democracy I would like to see.

In fact, attempting to defund laws that survived two election cycles is something I would like to see punished at the polls in 2013 and 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    That implies you believe it is the Republicans who are to blame?

There won't be a 'shutdown'.
    just gotta say...
    Dirt Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    words
    Le sigh bro. I was just about to quote this: the only way they could do it was to find ways to not pay people as much.

:/
    Dirt Farmer