User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

@Jennifer, lots of good points. I just think people are often looking away at causes of this "problem" that are easier to identify, but I think the truth of the matter is closer to what you've laid out. IMO. (no one asked for my opinion ) But the real question then, as with any problem, is how to change that. And there doesn't seem to be a fast, simple solution such as "vote for someone different". It's complicated and layered.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTj

Answer: Participatory Democracy.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    You guys could probably Google "Food Lions" if you want to know where they have locations. Actually, there is probably a link on the website labeled "Locations."

Just a thought.
    Why would we want to do that? It'd extinguish the subject of our unrelated tangents.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Weird. I missed my appt on the 2nd due to a scheduling oops to apply/renew for a new year, I called to apologize and rescheduled for a week later and they said it was no problem, and I did. You're not far from me right? That's strangely inconsistent.
    For us, we need to get a new WIC card and get enrolled into it again, and they were saying there was nothing they could do at the time. Mayhap I ought to tell my sister to try again at a different office if there is inconsistencies with this.

My s.o. is an OIF veteran using his GI Bill to get through school right now and we depend on his housing allowance. He's been waiting a year plus on his disability claim, but that's something we've looooong known would be slow. This shutdown was poised to pretty much wreck our family's livelihood and I'm glad it is over. An Air Force vet friend of ours had just applied for his GI Bill to get activated etc. to start school in the spring, but he was told it likely wouldn't be sorted in time due to the shutdown. Outrageous. Anyway, I hope this changes that. He's just gonna have to go through the motions, yet again. And await his own disability claim along with my bf. As if dealing with the VA wasn't already a waking nightmare!
    I hope that's certainly not the case. I had applied for GI bill benefits the day before the shut-down, and I got my notice of eligibility for it without much issue at all.. It will be my primary source of income in January.

I just started the long VA process. It is not fun. I am very lucky in that my father just went through it, and his friends are also taking an active interest in my claim and helping me every step of the way as well.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I disagree. I think simply that the American people don't seem to like the underlying principle--not in practice (even if in theory). But I think it is, generally, working the way it was intended to work.
    What you're talking about is Congress not representing American public opinion. Or, as Beorn said, people electing Congressmen who shouldn't have been elected. The American people not "choosing wisely" when they vote, or qualified and well-intentioned people not running. I actually think most Congressmen start with good intentions and usually/often keep them. Maybe the way Congress is elected and the way the districts are allotted is creating an unfair representation?
    Yes. Voter education is spotty at best, allowing demagoguery, alarmism/fear tactics, smear campaigns, and outright lies to flourish and prevail. It is hard for the average voter to sort through this, with distrust of all politicians sometimes appearing as the only reasonable option. All of this does scare off many intelligent and industrious people from running for office. District gerrymandering ("voter picking") is definitely a problem, but the influence of money in campaigns, especially at the national level, is an even bigger problem with less hope of solution anytime soon.

Actually, it's non-participatory democracy. U.S. national voter turnout has hovered in the 55-60% range for decades.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The shutdown that wasn't at this point.

The public has a short term memory and 2014 is a long way off (a lifetime in political terms).

MBTI
    INTj

Actually, it's non-participatory democracy. U.S. national voter turnout has hovered in the 55-60% range for decades.
    Actually, I know.

My answer was to what we need, not what we have.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The shutdown that wasn't at this point.

The public has a short term memory and 2014 is a long way off (a lifetime in political terms).
    Sadly, this is true. Nate Silver had a pretty good article on this, citing how the impact of the mid-90s shutdowns is largely overplayed by the media: http://www.grantland.com/fivethirtye...nment-shutdown

Although we get to repeat this all over again in early 2014, so that may have an impact.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The federal districts are too fundamental a part of the USA's government structure to remove. But if I were establishing a government, I'd just use a proportional representation system.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Participatory economy would be a better idea.