User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    WIC is a pretty big deal. A lot of poor families depend upon it to buy most of their infant formula. That stuff is really expensive and babies are pretty sensitive to malnutrition. This is insane.
    My WIC wasn't interrupted at all. In fact, I had a renewal and checkup appointment during the shutdown (to my surprise). Maybe it's not the same in all states? I'm in Texas.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    My WIC wasn't interrupted at all. In fact, I had a renewal and checkup appointment during the shutdown (to my surprise). Maybe it's not the same in all states? I'm in Texas.
    Current WIC things aren't interrupted. But we found that applying for WIC again (due to missing an appointment for example in our case) to get your card and all that was denied.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Someone said they appeared to have funding until the end of the month. Thank God. That would have been a big deal for a lot of people, if things are anything like the were when I was on WIC. That is one of the best government programs out there, IME.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, WIC had had some residual money to continue funding for a short while, but they hadn't been taking new applicants, so as to fund the people already in the program. At least that's what I had read.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Current WIC things aren't interrupted. But we found that applying for WIC again (due to missing an appointment for example in our case) to get your card and all that was denied.
    Weird. I missed my appt on the 2nd due to a scheduling oops to apply/renew for a new year, I called to apologize and rescheduled for a week later and they said it was no problem, and I did. You're not far from me right? That's strangely inconsistent.

I did however notice that they were busier than usual, understaffed too. I dont know if that's related or not.

To add: My s.o. is an OIF veteran using his GI Bill to get through school right now and we depend on his housing allowance. He's been waiting a year plus on his disability claim, but that's something we've looooong known would be slow. This shutdown was poised to pretty much wreck our family's livelihood and I'm glad it is over. An Air Force vet friend of ours had just applied for his GI Bill to get activated etc. to start school in the spring, but he was told it likely wouldn't be sorted in time due to the shutdown. Outrageous. Anyway, I hope this changes that. He's just gonna have to go through the motions, yet again. And await his own disability claim along with my bf. As if dealing with the VA wasn't already a waking nightmare!
    Last edited by iwakar; 10-18-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: to add
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think WIC is administered state by state, but is not a state program, if that makes sense. It was pretty dire here in NC for a while, and they stopped issuing vouchers altogether, even for people already on the program. There was a pretty huge public outcry and the decision was reversed, although I think even then they were not accepting new applications. In the meantime, a grocery store here (Food Lion, not sure how widespread they are) donated $500,000 in gift cards to food banks to help meet the need.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    People hate congress, and yet its incumbency rate is extremely high. Something isn't working the way Madison had in mind.
    I disagree. I think simply that the American people don't seem to like the underlying principle--not in practice (even if in theory). But I think it is, generally, working the way it was intended to work.
    What you're talking about is Congress not representing American public opinion. Or, as Beorn said, people electing Congressmen who shouldn't have been elected. The American people not "choosing wisely" when they vote, or qualified and well-intentioned people not running. I actually think most Congressmen start with good intentions and usually/often keep them. Maybe the way Congress is elected and the way the districts are allotted is creating an unfair representation?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think WIC is administered state by state, but is not a state program, if that makes sense. It was pretty dire here in NC for a while, and they stopped issuing vouchers altogether, even for people already on the program. There was a pretty huge public outcry and the decision was reversed, although I think even then they were not accepting new applications. In the meantime, a grocery store here (Food Lion, not sure how widespread they are) donated $500,000 in gift cards to food banks to help meet the need.
    We have some Food Lions up in PA, I think (although there are other supermarkets with more dominance now and I'm not sure if the Food Lions have been declining).

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What you're talking about is Congress not representing American public opinion. Or, as Beorn said, people electing Congressmen who shouldn't have been elected. The American people not "choosing wisely" when they vote, or qualified and well-intentioned people not running. I actually think most Congressmen start with good intentions and usually/often keep them. Maybe the way Congress is elected and the way the districts are allotted is creating an unfair representation?
    Well, the gerrymandering doesn't really help.

But there can be multiple reasons for dissatisfaction, including reasons such as you've suggested. One problem is that people tend to vote idealistically, for candidates that appeal to them in terms of shared values and who provide the right verbal and ideologically 'cues,' perhaps without real understanding of how the actual political process works. The system is set up to work one way, but people who are elected might not be a good fit for that system or understand how to effectively use it.

For example in this situation, one dynamic is that a lot of the Tea Party challengers seem to be the sort who want to "do business differently and override the establishment." The establishment is seen totally as a negative thing. And if you have been unhappy with the political process, maybe that sounds wonderful.

But what we have gotten are a clump of people who might have no practical experience on the local or state level, entering the national level directly, and thinking that compromise and negotiation is bad. So we saw a bunch of people who want to have their way and preferred to instigate a standoff at the last moment, thinking that is the ideal and principled way to go about changing laws when they disagree with what decisions have been made. Being a maverick in America is a heady, socially endorsed thing... except when it doesn't work and doesn't fit the context. For systems where the negotiation is part of the process to reaching conclusions and where the beliefs and needs of many different factions have to somehow be coordinated into an outcome they can all live with (or at least not be shamed by), i.e., the melting pot, I think the non-negotiating "my way or the highway" approach is entirely wrong and will prevent any reasonable and helpful outcome from being reached. We've even got people like John McCain (widely seen as a maverick) who still supports the negotiating process and has kind of been facepalming during this entire debacle.

But these people don't know that or don't care; they were elected on a platform that runs counter to the normal process, because voters and perhaps they themselves are tired of gridlock and other flaws of the system that just might be natural flaws of that process of government in a diverse country. The idealism certain groups of voters might possess just don't take into account the realities of that process in this diverse nation.

Now that the US public has experienced what happens when you get a bunch of people unwilling and unable to negotiate and come to an outcome that better encompasses the spectrum of the voting public and government representatives, they are very unhappy. Well, what did we expect would happen? If one wants to be entirely cynical of politics, one would just say we sold out the devil we knew for another, more inept devil we didn't.

It's not unlike teenagers finally gaining power in adulthood and wanting to express their idealism to "change the system" and then realizing after a few huge failures/setbacks that things don't realistically line up with what they thought, or the CEO who walks into an environment and makes many changes in a short amount of time and is surprised when the system and culture collapses.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

There are Food Lions across much of MD and VA I think, particularly in smaller communities or towns under-served by bigger supermarkets. The tiny old town where I live (in a planned community 5mi outside the town that has been ruminating over declaring themselves a separate municipality for years) has one.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTj

You guys could probably Google "Food Lions" if you want to know where they have locations. Actually, there is probably a link on the website labeled "Locations."

Just a thought.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight