User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Default GTA5: Spend real money online to buy clothes, guns + hookers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...-money-2304925

I was reading another article about how there is a whole "universe" created in GTA V, which is bigger than all the other games in the series combined. They are calling it a game to redefine games.

I was a teenager when GTA3 Liberty City came out, and I loved it.

I don't doubt GTA V is an awesome game.

But this really is quite depressing to think people will spend actual money to fuck a virtual prozzie or wear virtual bling.

It has been speculated that people might in the future take "virtual holidays" and that this game is a qualitative point of inflection in said direction. Sad.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    But this really is quite depressing to think people will spend actual money to fuck a virtual prozzie or wear virtual bling.

It has been speculated that people might in the future take "virtual holidays" and that this game is a qualitative point of inflection in said direction. Sad.
    I don't see it was any more "sad" than discussion obscure crap that no one cares about to faceless pseudonyms paired with a random image meant to be an abstract expression of one's self on an internet forum, especially using so as a platform to point out the futility in the actions of others.

At most this inspires a long, drawn-out "...meh.." and ascribing it as "to each his own".

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Assassin's Creed 3 pretty much did the same thing in regards to virtual currency buying.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I don't see it was any more "sad" than discussion obscure crap that no one cares about to faceless pseudonyms paired with a random image meant to be an abstract expression of one's self on an internet forum, especially using so as a platform to point out the futility in the actions of others.
    Because I'm not paying to be here, lol. I spend about 15 mins a week on this forum purely for my own amusement.

If you spend hours per day here and get no joy from it, then yes that would be sad.

But it would not be new, and therefore not newsworthy.

This is new and therefore newsworthy.

The clue is in the name.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Assassin's Creed 3 pretty much did the same thing in regards to virtual currency buying.
    Ok. I was not aware of this.

Maybe paying extra money for a genuine enhancement to a game could make sense. Paying money to fuck a virtual hooker or for a virtual jacket, is grim. Could be the future of humanity though.

MBTI
    INTP

Because I'm not paying to be here, lol. I spend about 15 mins a week on this forum purely for my own amusement.

If you spend hours per day here and get no joy from it, then yes that would be sad.
    I don't really see how payment is really a relevant factor in determining whether or not this endeavor is one that could be considered worthwhile. So if you pay to participate in something online, that's sad? If one is getting the gratification they want, what does the medium matter?

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Ok. I was not aware of this.

Maybe paying extra money for a genuine enhancement to a game could make sense. Paying money to fuck a virtual hooker or for a virtual jacket, is grim. Could be the future of humanity though.
    Oh it was pretty much the same thing. (Early Multiplayer ability unlocks and a few extra character customization options for multiplayer.) The DLC singleplayer missions did not use this.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

WALMART

I'm glad you've joined us. How has 2005 been?

But seriously, you're really undermining the actual scope of intent regarding this feature. It is for people who do not have the time (like you) to farm the money but still want to access the entire array of features the game offers, like purchasing a jet hanger and taking your friends up 10,000 feet to parachute into the ocean, or participate in races with your $500,000 tricked out Tesla S.

Entire industries have been built using this model for the distribution of digital content, to the point that even "casual" markets have been infiltrated - remember Farmville? I can't think of a single digital e-centric entity that isn't pushing more and more into this model of operation, from Blizzard to EA.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    So if you pay to participate in something online, that's sad?
    Depends what it is. Why would you pay for those things I mentioned above?

MBTI
    INTP

Depends what it is.
    You know, I am in a rather argumentative mood today. Go ahead and indulge me with the criteria for what is/isn't sad in the realm of online participation.