User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default A ‘free, open and liberal society’ Allows For More Sexual Abuse of Minors [Article]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ulnerable.html

Children as young as eight are being targeted online by foreign paedophile gangs who believe that Britain’s ‘liberal’ values make them easy prey.

Britain has become the top target for cyber sexual predators, a report reveals today.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I think this is frankly alarmist. I don't think it has to do with liberal values so much as simply the messages children get about online safety. Some parents are too busy (and in this economy, that's not surprising) or simply don't care and don't try to get the point across that talking to strangers online can have very real dangers for a kid. So many parents tend to raise their kids simply based on not doing things, without explaining why those things are bad for them so they'll know why it's dangerous anyway.

On a more idealistic level, the blame shouldn't lie with people who fall prey to these situations but on the criminals. The fact that laws about online stalking, minimum age for websites, and stuff like that are so loosely inforced and sometimes contradictory is a real problem, in my opinion.

I also believe that we don't have more cases of child abuse know, we just hear more about them because society is increasingly open to talking about than, say, 100 years ago.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

No, everything has gone to shit recently because people magically started becoming more evil when mass media was invented.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownUser View Post
    I think this is frankly alarmist. I don't think it has to do with liberal values so much as simply the messages children get about online safety. Some parents are too busy (and in this economy, that's not surprising) or simply don't care and don't try to get the point across that talking to strangers online can have very real dangers for a kid. So many parents tend to raise their kids simply based on not doing things, without explaining why those things are bad for them so they'll know why it's dangerous anyway.

On a more idealistic level, the blame shouldn't lie with people who fall prey to these situations but on the criminals. The fact that laws about online stalking, minimum age for websites, and stuff like that are so loosely inforced and sometimes contradictory is a real problem, in my opinion.

I also believe that we don't have more cases of child abuse know, we just hear more about them because society is increasingly open to talking about than, say, 100 years ago.
    The main point of this story is being overlooked. And that is, when Great Britain gives the rest of the world the impression that it is a "free, open and liberal" society, along with it comes the impression of loose morals. So the fact that parents aren't doing a good job indicates loose morals, the fact that children are given almost unrestricted access to the internet indicates loose morals, the fact that children aren't being raised to watch out for and avoid pedophiles indicates loose morals. A free, open and liberal society is a morally loose society, and pedophiles world-wide known this. They take advantage of it in order to prey on children online.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'll need to go over and read the article more carefully, but isn't the core issue what type of countries produce the sexual predators? Victims don't define the morality of a system, but the violators do.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTp

What is it about electronic media/internet age that produces such an overwhelming desire for people to get naked? It shouldn't be that hard to educate children (and celebrities) not to send electronic images of themselves around naked. And yet, it is.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Can't we just sic Liam Neeson on them?

Inappropriate insensitive humor aside, I think the parents have responsiblity for this kind of thing. Personal responsibility is a big buzzword, but whenever it comes to parents being personally responsible for their children, a lot of those same people would rather demand the government do something. Granted, pedophilia is a bigger issue than Janet Jackson's nipple, and I don't take it lightly, but I can never understand why people can be so passionate about something like this, and then not take responsibility for their own children.

You can blame loose morals, or you can blame stupidity and short-sightedness. I don't know if morals enter into it as much as new technologies. (I haven't seen @Mole in a while, but he might be pleased to know that I'm reading a little about McLuhan.) If we had a culture that was still very strongly based in Christianity across the U.S. (or Britain, I guess), but internet technology, I think we'd still have the same problems. Actually, I think a greater reluctance to discuss and acknowledge sex might make the problem worse. I'm not convinced that people who feel uncomfortable even speaking of penises or vaginas are going to be more likely to talk about pedophilia with their kids.

I mean, not to beat a dead horse, but think about all the cases of pedophilia you here about in a religious context. These are the children of parents with "stricter morals" that are getting molested.

I think a good thing to do would be some kind of public awareness campaign so that parents can know what kind of things they can do to protect their children.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ulnerable.html

Children as young as eight are being targeted online by foreign paedophile gangs who believe that Britain’s ‘liberal’ values make them easy prey.

Britain has become the top target for cyber sexual predators, a report reveals today.
    Institutional slavery was abolished for the first time in history in 1833.

And the history of childhood teaches us that child sexual abuse was ubiquitous across the world.

Until Ireland produced the first comprehensive Report into Institutional Child Abuse in 2007.

And the only other country in the world to be conducting a Judicial Enquiry, a Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse, is Australia.

So institutional child abuse remains undiscovered in the rest of the world.

And we now know the problem is not just a personal crime but an institutional crime.

MBTI
    xxTP

Sounds like bullshit. Where are the reliable figures on sexual abuse of kids in those non "free and liberal" societies with which we are comparing?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Sounds like bullshit. Where are the reliable figures on sexual abuse of kids in those non "free and liberal" societies with which we are comparing?
    It's online sexual abuse. So those who want to compare this with the 19th century need to think again.