User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's online sexual abuse. So those who want to compare this with the 19th century need to think again.
    How about a comparison with other existing societies which are not 'open and liberal'.

    If you assert that such a society allows fore 'more' sexual abuse then where is your point of comparison, even you yourself negate the possibility of one?

  2. #12
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Where are the other participants of this thread from? I'm assuming not the UK? If you were I'd imagine you'd know not to take the Daily Mail seriously.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  3. #13
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    How about a comparison with other existing societies which are not 'open and liberal'.

    If you assert that such a society allows fore 'more' sexual abuse then where is your point of comparison, even you yourself negate the possibility of one?
    The article - which you didn't read - is "asserting" that online predators view the UK as a free, open, and liberal society which is "therefore" more free, open, and liberal about having their children sexually abused online. This assumption by online predators makes children of the UK more of a target than other countries.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #14
    Senior Member SensEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    213

    Default

    The article brings this to mind:


  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The article - which you didn't read - is "asserting" that online predators view the UK as a free, open, and liberal society which is "therefore" more free, open, and liberal about having their children sexually abused online. This assumption by online predators makes children of the UK more of a target than other countries.
    Ok. This does not support the assertion you made in the thread title.

  6. #16
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Let's view the inverse to see how much this makes sense:


    A freedom-lacking, closed, and conservative society provides for less sexual abuse of minors.

    I see no convincing evidence that a society lacking freedom would have less sex abuse of children.

    I see no evidence that a closed society would have less sex abuse of children.

    I see no evidence that a conservative society would have less sex abuse of children.

    If you wish to dispute the last two, particularly the last, I point you in the direction of the scandal in the Catholic Church.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  7. #17
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Ok. This does not support the assertion you made in the thread title.
    The thread title doesn't make sense until you read the article. You should read that before responding. Responding to a thread title is always a bad idea.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #18
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Let's view the inverse to see how much this makes sense:


    A freedom-lacking, closed, and conservative society provides for less sexual abuse of minors.

    I see no convincing evidence that a society lacking freedom would have less sex abuse of children.

    I see no evidence that a closed society would have less sex abuse of children.

    I see no evidence that a conservative society would have less sex abuse of children.

    If you wish to dispute the last two, particularly the last, I point you in the direction of the scandal in the Catholic Church.
    I can't argue with your lack of sight.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #19
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I can't argue with your lack of sight.
    I'm not asking you to argue with lack of sight.


    Also, what about other societies that have even more of a reputation for being free, open, and liberal? The Netherlands and Denmark come to mind, among others.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  10. #20
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I'm not asking you to argue with lack of sight.


    Also, what about other societies that have even more of a reputation for being free, open, and liberal? The Netherlands and Denmark come to mind, among others.
    The article - which you didn't read - explains that English is a more universal language (than say Dutch or Danish), and this also makes England a more viable target for online predators.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Quote from BF Skinner, free will, determinism and liberalism
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 01:34 AM
  2. MBTI and/or Enneagram: Search for Beliefs and Values
    By Ariitoa in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
  3. Europe's war on free speech and its consequences
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
  5. Is Morality an Open and Closed Matter?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO