User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't have as much of a problem with acknowledging privilege as when people try to make one feel bad for having that privilege, or discount their opinion because of it, or something along those lines. It makes me very angry.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Why are you wasting your time?

Do these kind of 70's style pseudo-intellectuals exist anywhere outside of the humanities departments of mediocre universities (called in Britain "ex polytechnics")...?
    Yes, unfortunately. They'll probably all be die-hard Republicans in a few decades, though, and become even more annoying. Many of them seem shockingly ignorant of the role class plays in social stratification, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Once they decide to start being an adult, they'll probably whine about paying taxes incessantly.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't have as much of a problem with acknowledging privilege as when people try to make one feel bad for having that privilege, or discount their opinion because of it, or something along those lines. It makes me very angry.
    There, there. Of course it does. Anger often substitutes for a more painful emotion. Guilt, for example.
    You are not alone.
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/being...ing-me-for-it/

When one learns to be angry about injustice, instead of angry @ the people who are making you aware of that injustice, and thereby making your comfortable existence a little bit more difficult to accept as your god-given birthright... Well. Then one will have learnt something important. And one might be in a position to go do something useful about it. Instead of whining about how hard it is to enjoy it in peace.

To merely acknowledge privilege, without seeking to undermine the injustices that perpetuate it, is far more culpable than to simply remain in ignorance.

Stansmith

I see hardship and discrimination as something inevitable regardless of ones sociopolitical standing. Sure, a wealthy white male may have a better life than me objectively, but I can't bring myself to attribute my own personal struggles with something sociopolitical or the result of the privileges of some fictional generalized other. I see the value in acknowledging certain issues, but generally, I'm not focused on my own Blackness. Then again, I live in a bubble.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    There, there. Of course it does. Anger often substitutes for a more painful emotion. Guilt, for example.
    You are not alone.
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/being...ing-me-for-it/

When one learns to be angry about injustice, instead of angry @ the people who are making you aware of that injustice, and thereby making your comfortable existence a little bit more difficult to accept as your god-given birthright... Well. Then one will have learnt something important. And one might be in a position to go do something useful about it. Instead of whining about how hard it is to enjoy it in peace.

To merely acknowledge privilege, without seeking to undermine the injustices that perpetuate it, is far more culpable than to simply remain in ignorance.
    You're probably the most narrow-minded person I've seen in a long time.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

You're probably the most narrow-minded person I've seen in a long time.
    then that makes two, because i subscribe to her/his post completely.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't particularly care to get concerned about male privilege, because, if I were to do so, my motives would be questioned. (I guess that's fair, I'd feel icky about it myself, as though I had all the wrong motives.) And for what? So people can tell me that issues of gender bias I've experienced don't matter?

Fuck that noise.

My being actively and vocally concerned about male privilege does not cancel it out. It still exists. Just like white privilege. I still haven't seen any way to actually change it beyond post-modern hocus pocus. So the only thing I'm accomplishing by being vocally angry is showing what "team" I'm on, which is useless, like so many other aspects of political "discussions"'. Even worse, I'm evidently not allowed to be angry about things in my own life, because that's just MOAR PRIVILEGE.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    then that makes two, because i subscribe to her/his post completely.
    You think it's appropriate to discount a person's opinion or experience because they belong to a privileged group? Because that's what she was disagreeing with me about...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

You think it's appropriate to discount a person's opinion or experience because they belong to a privileged group? Because that's what she was disagreeing with me about...
    why are you explaining to me what (you think) she meant by her post? do you think i have reading comprehension issues (and simultaneously, that she is stupid?) maybe you are the one who is short-sighted. maybe you are the one who has little personal experience in not having certain privileges. maybe you should take up on her recommendation and check out that link.
    i'm not even going to take up a discussion with you on your own terms, i'm out of this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    why are you explaining to me what (you think) she meant by her post? do you think i have reading comprehension issues (and simultaneously, that she is stupid?) maybe you are the one who is short-sighted. maybe you are the one who has little personal experience in not having certain privileges. maybe you should take up on her recommendation and check out that link.
    i'm not even going to take up a discussion with you on your own terms, i'm out of this.
    She was replying to me. I may not know what she meant, but I do know what I meant, which was that being annoyed and even angry when people try to delegitimize one's experiences is perfectly appropriate. She disagreed with me, and you said you agreed with her about that. I'm not trying to be a jackass, I'm seriously trying to understand what you're saying. Maybe you're just agreeing with her that trying to eliminate privilege is good? I can understand that. But I don't think that's all she was saying...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader