User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    On one hand, I am a person of privilege, but I am not allowed to talk about it.
    Sure you are. I think it's in the FAQ somewhere that all members are created equal, but some are more equal than others... lf you're an angry, bitter, white dude you have ample scope to vent your spleen here and find a sympathetic ear. (Mad props if you also hate women.) You can derail serious threads with crazy, solipsistic bullshit, shout down minority views and insult people with impunity. It's like a fun park for bigoted assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Sure you are. I think it's in the FAQ somewhere that all members are created equal, but some are more equal than others... lf you're an angry, bitter, white dude you have ample scope to vent your spleen here and find a sympathetic ear. (Mad props if you also hate women.) You can derail serious threads with crazy, solipsistic bullshit, shout down minority views and insult people with impunity. It's like a fun park for bigoted assholes.
    Au contraire, privilege has made me happy and mellow.

Privilege has allowed me to do things for their own sake.

Privilege has allowed me to enjoy the company of women.

Privilege has allowed me to explore new ideas.

And privilege has given me the duty to continue to point out that personal insults are against the rules and may lead to banning.

But perhaps most of all privilege has given me a liberal education, expansive, generous, ever alert to new ideas and feelings.

And indeed privilege has given me Typology Central.

Default Typology Central is a Privilege

And always remembering that Typology Central is a privilege, not a right.

And we are grateful to the moderators for giving us the privilege of being part of a site that is tolerant and well run.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Whenever I hear people talk about "privilege" being invisible, the first thing that pops into my head is that that person must be "empathy-challenged". You don't have to experience something, first-hand, to know what it feels like...unless you are empathy-challenged.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Whenever I hear people talk about "privilege" being invisible, the first thing that pops into my head is that that person must be "empathy-challenged". You don't have to experience something, first-hand, to know what it feels like...unless you are empathy-challenged.
    There are so many things that are invisible, dear Lateralus.

Our unconscious is invisible to us. This is the very nature of the unconscious, and makes possible the discovery of ourselves.

And our environment is invisible to us. And just as fish never discovered water (their environment), we never discover our environment. And by corollory, an environment only becomes visible when it becomes the content of a new invisible environment.

However, Lateralus, we perceive by gestault and think we see the whole, when we are borne on the wings of the invisible.

Glycerine

@Zarathustra: I have been meaning to give you a rather thought out response (and had one but it got timed out once I hit post).

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In truth, I think that particular affliction goes up in frequency the more privileged a sample you take, particularly on the matter of wealth.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I don't agree.

I'm almost certain that the vast majority of people here have absolutely NO IDEA how billions of people must survive on a daily basis in slums, and what it really means. It's not a question of empathy or even ignorance. We all know, yet in the same time we choose to consciously ignore those facts because they're too disturbing if we ponder too much about them.

We know them, but we don't acknowledge them. Our psyche "naturally" represses disturbing things, it acts like a firewall to keep us sane and healthy. Or maybe it means we're insane : it depends on which kind of point of view you take.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I don't agree.

I'm almost certain that the vast majority of people here have absolutely NO IDEA how billions of people must survive on a daily basis in slums, and what it really means. It's not a question of empathy or even ignorance. We all know, yet in the same time we choose to consciously ignore those facts because they're too disturbing if we ponder too much about them.

We know them, but we don't acknowledge them. Our psyche "naturally" represses disturbing things, it acts like a firewall to keep us sane and healthy. Or maybe it means we're insane : it depends on which kind of point of view you take.
    Yes.

Or people become divorced from even that and no longer care about anyone or anything, because they can reason nihilisticly that it doesn't matter because it is too large an issue to be dealt with and yet still so small and insignificant compared to the grander picture of reality outside our world.

There is no scientific notion that life is important, for example.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I don't agree.

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. And it sounds like you're contradicting yourself here. How can privilege be "invisible" if "we all know, yet we choose to consciously ignore it"? That doesn't sound like invisible privilege to me. It sounds like you're describing something else.

I've never met a person who thought people living in third world countries didn't have it really, really bad.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."