User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Our biggest dangers in discussing privilege are cliche and moralism.

Cliches have been in too many mouths and moralism makes us feel superior.

But cliche and moralism are failures to think for ourselves, so we take second hand words and second hand sentiments and pass them off as our own.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I can't tell whether Salomé is more boxed or Zarathustra is more arrogant, but clearly INTPs have egos in regards to their logic, and INTJs have egos in regards to their perceptions (and perhaps rightfully so to an extent; INTPs are after all very logical, and INTJs very perceptive).
    What many see as evidence of type, I see as evidence of age, maturity level, and in all likelihood, factors that fall outside the boundaries of type. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of two female INTPs, one was a member here, (someone much older than Salomé) who was so charming, I thought she was NFJ at first. That's when I said to myself, "I bet she's one of the oldest women to ever hit this forum." She was. I won't reveal her age, but no one in their right mind would think she and Salomé were alike. That's why when Salomé acts like judge and jury for who is an INTP, it's utter nonsense. Salomé is a lippy kid. That's it. What does a mature woman have in common with a lippy kid? Not much. The other female INTP is type theorist Linda V. Berens, who is also decades older than Salomé. Google her or listen to her in a YouTube video.

How do you think a guy who once described himself as a hippie in his 20's comes to be a renowned surgeon? He grows up. How someone may have typed him when he was in his 20's could be dramatically different than how someone may type him in his 50's. Like I said, what many see as evidence of type, I see as evidence of something else.

As for Z, well, I don't see arrogance. I see insecurity. And I would expect people to see others in different ways. Surely you don't think when people are in an art gallery examining a piece they all see the same thing do you? Of course not. To this day, it amazes me that so many people think there should be some kind of consensus on a person's type. Well, it depends on what part of them you're looking at - the surface, or what you see after throwing on an air tank and flippers. It also depends on where they are in life, and what they have been through. Time can be a hurricane that blows you into another state of existence. If someone stays the same over time, I'd say that person hasn't faced much.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Hmm, this is interesting; you actually cared enough to explain in detail for me your thoughts, unlike with most other members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What many see as evidence of type, I see as evidence of age, maturity level, and in all likelihood, factors that fall outside the boundaries of type. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of two female INTPs, one was a member here, (someone much older than Salomé) who was so charming, I thought she was NFJ at first. That's when I said to myself, "I bet she's one of the oldest women to ever hit this forum." She was. I won't reveal her age, but no one in their right mind would think she and Salomé were alike. That's why when Salomé acts like judge and jury for who is an INTP, it's utter nonsense. Salomé is a lippy kid. That's it. What does a mature woman have in common with a lippy kid? Not much. The other female INTP is type theorist Linda V. Berens, who is also decades older than Salomé. Google her or listen to her in a YouTube video.
    Indeed, we as individuals are shaped as so much more than what we're preprogrammed upon genesis to become.

How do you think a guy who once described himself as a hippie in his 20's comes to be a renowned surgeon? He grows up. How someone may have typed him when he was in his 20's could be dramatically different than how someone may type him in his 50's. Like I said, what many see as evidence of type, I see as evidence of something else.
    Well, it's true that we may integrate more stuff into our personalities as we grow and experience more things, but I also think that the process by which we go about doing so may have something to do with type, among many other factors of course. Still, your point about development being an equation with multiple factors is taken.

As for Z, well, I don't see arrogance. I see insecurity. And I would expect people to see others in different ways. Surely you don't think when people are in an art gallery examining a piece they all see the same thing do you? Of course not. To this day, it amazes me that so many people think there should be some kind of consensus on a person's type. Well, it depends on what part of them you're looking at - the surface, or what you see after throwing on an air tank and flippers. It also depends on where they are in life, and what they have been through. Time can be a hurricane that blows you into another state of existence. If someone stays the same over time, I'd say that person hasn't faced much.
    Now that I think about it, I think I see this in Z as well; he acts all confident and mighty, but perhaps it's just a shield to cover up his own weaknesses; maybe he's too weak to really look inside of himself and change for the better. Of course, the same principle could apply to many of us as well, so we shouldn't single out Z alone. But yes, it makes sense that different people each have their own perspectives on things - how they come to see them depends largely both on the evolution of what we're analyzing, and the stories of our own individual beings.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Jaguar apparently seeks to convince us that while NTPs become more charming with age, NTJs only become more cranky and insecure.
    Preaching to the choir, old man.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Jaguar apparently seeks to convince us that while NTPs become more charming with age, NTJs only become more cranky and insecure.
    Preaching to the choir, old man.
    Check your privilege, youngin.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Back when I was into that sort of thing I used to know a great quote from Bakunin about privilege, it was something about privilege and inequality is injustice, equality without freedom is slavery or something like that.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Are they going to introduce the Kettleblacks on Game of Thrones?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Are they going to introduce the Kettleblacks on Game of Thrones?
    I read that as kettlebell and wondered if it was a reference to tall the abs scenes.

On one hand, I am a person of privilege, but I am not allowed to talk about it. Indeed it would be a solecism to talk about my privilege.

I can't even think about it to myself. I can't jump our of bed ready to enjoy another day of privilege.

Indeed enjoying my privilege is forbidden. So I whisper in the ear of my cat that I am privileged, and I tell every dog I meet that I am a person of privilege.

How I envy Satan who was not as constrained as I and could say to the whole world, "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven" - no hiding his light under a bushel there.

Some of you are sweet enough to want shout your love from the rooftops, and how I would love to join you, let off fireworks, and tell the world, "I love privilege".

But everyone loves a lover, but no one loves the privileged.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I read that as kettlebell and wondered if it was a reference to tall the abs scenes.
    They probably won't make it in the show at all. They probably would have been introduced already.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78