User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 57

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default Washington Red Skins

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24027457#FBM285483

    What do you PC liberal historical revisionists think of this one? As if I had to ask!

  2. #2
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default



    Lol, yep.


    I think it's crazy that people have their panties so much in a bundle about it being a nostalgic name that the club won't concede to changing it even though enough others are hurt enough by it that they've launched a nationwide radio campaign against it.

    It's a pretty prime example of people using "but that's the way it's always been" to justify being assholes.

    For lifelong Redskins fan Denise Perry, from Maryland, the word represents the Washington family, team spirit and the unifying atmosphere of match days.

    She understands there are negative connotations too but adds: "Calling it anything else would take away from the meaning and history of the Redskins I grew up with.
    Boohoo, pull on your big girl panties, fire up those neurons, and make some new connections in the name of being a compassionate person.

  3. #3
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post


    Lol, yep.

    I think it's crazy that people have their panties so much in a bundle about it being a nostalgic name that the club won't concede to changing it even though enough others are hurt enough by it that they've launched a nationwide radio campaign against it.



    Boohoo, pull on your big girl panties, fire up those neurons, and make some new connections in the name of being a compassionate person.
    hehe, i second this
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

  4. #4
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    ^

    Honestly I think it's probably mostly about not wanting to spend all the money changing their uniforms, memorabilia, etc., and the loss of recognition that would accompany that. Everyone knows who the Redskins are. No one's going to know who the new team is.

    So basically every team player and employee would risk taking a huge status hit in the name of being nice, even though it's not really their fault that the team has that name. So, yeah, I get that it really sucks.

    But maybe they could come to some compromise and figure out a related name where they could basically keep everything the same and have it sanctioned and promoted by the Oneida tribe in exchange.

  5. #5
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    I feel like punching them on the face for finding that offensive (metaphorically), but cultural differences should be respected.

    Otherwise natives would be able to create a team called "Tribe A Niggers" and claim that, since they don't see the n word as being derogatory, they should be allowed to use it freely.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  6. #6
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Unless a white person has decided that _________ is offensive, no red, black, brown or yellow people shall be justified in finding it offensive.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    In the UK there was a group of anti-fascist skinheads called the "red skins", skins being an abbreviation for skinheads and "red" being an abbreviation or labelling for all things left wing, I think they did use native American or mohawk symbols in some of their propaganda though, maybe.

    I dont actually think its racist and like the team's iconography and dont think it should change, @Redbone, what's your post about? I dont understand. I'm pretty white though so maybe that's it :P

  8. #8
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    It's pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing...the comment section and the "federally-recognized Oneida"(who were here long before the government decided if these people were a 'real' nation or not). I can see someone saying that they may not want to change how things are but deciding for another what is and is not offensive? Telling people how they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT feel? Steps on a nerve and pisses me off in a big way.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    It's pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing...the comment section and the "federally-recognized Oneida"(who were here long before the government decided if these people were a 'real' nation or not). I can see someone saying that they may not want to change how things are but deciding for another what is and is not offensive? Telling people how they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT feel? Steps on a nerve and pisses me off in a big way.
    you mean they arent the thought police they are the feeler police?

    I hope they arent followed by the intuitive and sensor police!

  10. #10
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In the UK there was a group of anti-fascist skinheads called the "red skins", skins being an abbreviation for skinheads and "red" being an abbreviation or labelling for all things left wing, I think they did use native American or mohawk symbols in some of their propaganda though, maybe.

    I dont actually think its racist and like the team's iconography and dont think it should change, @Redbone, what's your post about? I dont understand. I'm pretty white though so maybe that's it :P
    But Larkie, if Native Americans find it offensive and a trivialization of the pain their ancestors endured, don't you think they should just change it? I mean, I get the big business aspect of it, but I feel the organization is famous enough to survive. For example, if I remember correctly, the Washington Wizards have changed their names many times.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

    thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Similar Threads

  1. Red meat linked to lung cancer?
    By The Ü™ in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 08:05 AM
  2. Congratulation to the Red Sox
    By The Third Rider in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO