User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is really rather trivial, if they change it or not, it doesnt seem like it would impact anything either way...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    It's pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing...the comment section and the "federally-recognized Oneida"(who were here long before the government decided if these people were a 'real' nation or not). I can see someone saying that they may not want to change how things are but deciding for another what is and is not offensive? Telling people how they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT feel? Steps on a nerve and pisses me off in a big way.
    You have butted up against the ENTJ wall of ignorance. It's pretty hard to miss, since they put it up everywhere.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Tangentially, a guy came into my work yesterday and in the course of conversation complained about this. It would have been inappropriate of me to strike up political debate (not to mention displeasing), but I asked him who was seeking the name change, as I could understand the Native American group desiring it to be changed. He replied that, no, it was "those people in Washington". He seems to have thought it was liberal politicians seeking the change and not the Oneida. This seems like valuable information... I wonder how many people with a strong stance on this issue have no idea what the debate actually is.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ... This seems like valuable information... I wonder how many people with a strong stance on this issue have no idea what the debate actually is.
    FWIW, there are probably many different groups involved here and we don't really know how many of each there are.

Sampling of groups involved:

- offended NA's
    - offended everyone else
    - rabid sports fans
    - liberals who are eager to show off how enlightened they are with political gestures aimed at making the other side look purely racist (main motivation is power politics, and they don't particularly care about NA's as much as they do looking good)
    - conservatives who are against the name change because they have some vague notion that anything that could be classified as politcal correctness is an evil, all devouring scourge
    - people who profit from stirring sensationalist debate and emotion (power representatives, media, etc.)
    - racists
    - NA's who don't really care because they have internalized racism
    - NA's who don't really care because they really don't care
    - people who are afraid that if the name gets changed because deemed racist they will have to deal with the guilt of rooting for a racist name
    - NA 'representatives of the people' who really just want to be high and mighty by claiming to speak for their group
    - NA representatives of the people who really do represent the people
    - people who just think it's a sports team name and don't have a notion of the world outside sports
    - people who just think it's a sports team name and do have a notion of the world outside sports but think that the sports name is just a symbol, nothing more
    - etc.

Also FWIW, I still don't have a particularly strong stance on this issue but I don't have the foggiest concept of what this debate actually is because, how can you? As far as I can tell it's this enormous, vague thing.

But despite not knowing what the debate really is, I can come to my own conclusions...

While I can't claim to really understand what NA's (or anyone else) wants, and I'm put into an uncomfortable position of speaking for a group I know nothing about, seems kinda racist to me, as long as this doesn't become a slippery slope so that if anyone anywhere that is offended by anything than things should be changed than sounds like you might as well change it, I don't see what it could hurt to just change the name and move on, as long as the spirit of the name change is to move toward better interactions and understanding rather than to blast all those evil people who enjoyed the name as is, unless they truly held racist sentiment.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I wonder how many people with a strong stance on this issue have no idea what the debate actually is.
    Now transplant that onto all debates.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Now transplant that onto all debates.

Brain hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    FWIW, there are probably many different groups involved here and we don't really know how many of each there are. [...] seems kinda racist to me [...] I don't see what it could hurt to just change the name and move on, as long as the spirit of the name change is to move toward better interactions and understanding
    Exactlyyyyy

I wonder if the same sort of culture existed today and new teams were being created if there'd be the anything like the Washington "sand nigs" or "towel heads" or anything like that

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Redskins’ Kike Owner Refuses To Change Team’s Offensive Name

WASHINGTON—Denying widespread claims that the franchise is being offensive or disrespectful, the Washington Redskins’ kike owner announced Monday that he remains steadfast in his refusal to change the team’s derogatory name. “The Redskins represent 81 years of great history and tradition, and it’s a source of pride for our fans,” said the hook-nosed kike, stressing that the team’s insulting moniker is “absolutely not a racial slur by any means.” “‘Washington Redskins’ is much more than just a name. It stands for strength, courage, and respect—the very values that are so intrinsic to Native American culture.” The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do “everything in his power” to preserve the team’s proud heritage.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTx

I swear to god if the Redskins are forced to change their name...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I swear to god if the Redskins are forced to change their name...
    What would happen, chief?