Thread: Putin speaks to america

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody-Mir Putin
    The potential strike by the United States against Syria, despite strong opposition from many countries and major political and religious leaders, including the pope, will result in more innocent victims and escalation, potentially spreading the conflict far beyond Syria’s borders. A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.

Syria is not witnessing a battle for democracy, but an armed conflict between government and opposition in a multireligious country. There are few champions of democracy in Syria.
    No one doubts that poison gas was used in Syria. But there is every reason to believe it was used not by the Syrian Army, but by opposition forces, to provoke intervention by their powerful foreign patrons, who would be siding with the fundamentalists.
    This is true and should be reason enough not to intervene militarily.

The law is still the law, and we must follow it whether we like it or not.
    This, coming from Putin, is ironic to the point of cynicism. I chuckled a bit.

My working and personal relationship with President Obama is marked by growing trust. I appreciate this. I carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday. And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.
    This is good.

Whisky Old & Women Young Array Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Putin is such a badass, I like him.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

EDIT: I accidentally rated your avatar in the wrong thread.

FWIW my witty post said:

8/10.

4 for each one and -2 for being drug addled and probably disease ridden.

HAHAHA I would do stand-up but I prefer to sit.

Back to the topic: Well said Putin. On this occassion although he is purely playing self-serving realpolitik like everyone else, coincidence places him on the right side of history, as this war would objectively be disastrous for all of us.

girl with a pretty smile Array Honor's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2 so

I think this may be my favorite NYT op-ed of all time! He's got a new fan in me.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I do have to ask, though, was there ever seriously going to be a "war"?

It's not even clear whether Obama just took the steps he did to motivate others to step in and find a way through that he didn't have the luxury of finding (as Syria wasn't about to turn over chemical weapons to us).

I mean, if someone had had their heart set on bombing Syria, Syria would have been bombed. There wasn't even a push to get Congress's approval, they were told just to come back whenever they were normally reconvening... conveniently enough time for someone else to play "good cop" and step in to provide an "alternative."

Politics is politics... as this incident reminds us.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I do have to ask, though, was there ever seriously going to be a "war"?
    I wondered too. To me, though, making himself look like a foolish asshole around the globe seems too high a price to pay for Obama just to effect such a minor change in the situation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I wondered too. To me, though, making himself look like a foolish asshole around the globe seems too high a price to pay for Obama just to effect such a minor change in the situation.
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

I don't even much care at this point either, I just get annoyed listening to the noise from either extreme.

*waves cane angrily in the air, dentures pop out across the room*

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Lol, and the political posturing just keeps on comin'!

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-law...165601848.html

U.S. lawmakers unite in fury over Putin's op-ed in New York Times

It’s not every day that an opinion piece in The New York Times simultaneously insults the Republican speaker of the House and nearly causes the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to "vomit."

But that’s exactly what happened when Russian President Vladimir Putin penned an article calling for the U.S. government, which is considering launching a military strike on Syria for alleged war crimes, to use restraint in the Middle East. In his piece, Putin also took issue with part of President Barack Obama's national address on Syria on Tuesday night, which made the case for military action and praised “American exceptionalism.”

“It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation,” Putin wrote.

“I was at dinner,” New Jersey Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez said on CNN after he read the piece. “And I almost wanted to vomit.”

Other lawmakers were equally blunt.

“I was insulted,” House Speaker John Boehner told reporters on Thursday morning. “I’ve probably already said more than I should have said, but you’ve got the truth.”

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain called Putin's piece an “insult to the intelligence of every American”....

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure.

I don't even much care at this point either, I just get annoyed listening to the noise from either extreme.

*waves cane angrily in the air, dentures pop out across the room*
    Eh, even Stewart recognizes they were magooing their way through this.

Don't worry the next day they went back to shilling and Stewart didn't make a peep about Syria while Colbert made fun of the one person who's opinion on syria has obviously been all over the place and entirely inconsistent (with great help with editing that takes remarks out of context). That person is apparently Rand Paul.

Cuz, really there's obviously no joke material that can come from comments like "not a pinprick" or "unbelievably small."
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it