User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: 9/11 happened.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I've never met any adult in the U.S. who didn't know about World War II. Everyone knows Hitler.

If people don't know about WWII, how can we Godwin things?
    Yeah I've seen many who know about Hitler and the Holocaust too.

That is about it though, but I have seen people who know bits and pieces.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I've never met any adult in the U.S. who didn't know about World War II. Everyone knows Hitler.
    Isn't he the nice guy who signs Indy's book in 'The Last Crusade'?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Isn't he the nice guy who signs Indy's book in 'The Last Crusade'?
    Yeah.... also, he was watching movies when Eli Roth decided to burn him.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    You know what, I don't think msg_v2 was just trying to be an ass when he pointed out that you didn't live here - one of the things that is very noticeable to someone who lived here both pre- and post- 9/11 is that there was, at least through my perspective, a fairly significant climate shift from basically just being happy about living in the States to a divisive sort of "whoever's the most patriotic deserves to be a citizen the most" and "must be on alert against outsiders" sort of atmosphere. So if it's been a military tactic sort of thing, it's been since that time, and again I don't really know how useful that would actually prove in terms of countering terrorism. And I do think that for someone living here, that climate shift could either just be adopted and run with, or it could easily be - as it has for myself and some others - disconcerting and uncomfortable. I am just not much of a nationalist, and it is alienating to me as a citizen to have my country be like this. It's sort of weird. I feel like I want to be a good American, but I am also inclined to distrust America more post-9/11. For myself and others like me, it has become a reaction maybe to that sort of distrust to look to the country as a source of blame. It is not that I do not have pride in the people here or want to support unity, but I am not always sure what it is exactly that I am supporting, and I am not sure of my voice in it when I am being questioned myself.
    The whole "America, love it or leave it" idea predates 9/11 by a long time, the stolen election and then "war chief" re-election were big milestones or markers in its development.

Riva

9/11 was the first nail on the US that led to the crusade against Islam.

I feel like your sarcasm would be relevant 6 to 9 years ago; it was used as a tool of propagation for fear and war, no one really denies this. But now it's pretty much a remembrance, which means different things to different people. There's very little push now on making people afraid or even pushing for war in order to prevent these things. The Boston Marathon didn't evoke feelings of fear and war and at this point I think people realize terrorism is unpredictable and hard to isolate on its own. Now we have organizations that look into different people and take out terrorist groups when they can. That's probably a lot better than war anyway.

It's means something different now than what it did 6 to 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    9/11 was the first nail on the US that led to the crusade against Islam.
    which is why the us immideately attacked the kingdom of saudi arabia, where the hijakers came from.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    which is why the us immideately attacked the kingdom of saudi arabia, where the hijakers came from.
    The US had to go after the terrorist organization which influenced it, which was Al-Qaeda.

If I am not mistaken Saudi has close ties with the US. It really didn't have to attack Saudi. And I wouldn't be surprised if those ignorant people are robbed blind by the US. The Shieks aren't known for their intelligence. Also the monarch of Saudi strongly depends on oil money and western backings to keep the power away from the Islamic extremists. So Saudi is pretty much a pawn of the US.

I am not condemning the attack on Afghanistan at all. Infact if anything those clowns deserved it for harboring a terrorist and the US invasion of that country was a blessing in disguise for their people, especially the women.

However invasion of Iraq and now the planned attack on Syria is quite a sad affair.

Anyway is seems like you completely missed the point I was trying to make. What I was trying to imply was 9/11 gave the moral right to the US to attack any country which is predominantly Islamic.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I feel like your sarcasm would be relevant 6 to 9 years ago; it was used as a tool of propagation for fear and war, no one really denies this. But now it's pretty much a remembrance, which means different things to different people. There's very little push now on making people afraid or even pushing for war in order to prevent these things. .
    It's really obvious to me that people haven't learned anything from the mistakes that were made after 9/11.

You're exactly right. People have forget about this stuff, without ever really thinking about it at all. If another group of foreign terrorists manage to kill that many people again, the pattern will repeat.

I also remember after 9/11, a lot of liberals I knew said all the patriotic displays were "harmless" and "didn't mean" what I thought they meant. Of course, I ended up being right, despite my wish to be wrong. I can't really put an optimistic spin on this, because I've seen little indication that people, on the whole, have learned anything.

People just got tired of Iraq because it went on too long and too many Americans ended up dying... just like with Vietnam, which, if you'll notice, didn't cause Americans to renounce wars or foreign interventions.

I can only hope the Iraq veterans are treated better than all the homeless Vietnam veterans. Funny how people love "supporting the troops", but they don't really like being around veterans with PTSD. Gotta love it.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    'Murika.
    'Kabék
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump