User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: 9/11 happened.

I was sorry to read the OP and see what sort of a thread this was but I'm even more sorry to read some of the posts which have been posting here, I hope that they arent serious and are some sort of poor humour fail.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not sure what comments are meant as sarcasm either.

9/11 did hit a lot of people hard... kind of a wakeup call. My kids were also young and in school, and the lockdowns and whatever else had to be explained to them. It did remove a sense of general security than anyone might have been feeling, although realistically the threat seemed higher in some places than others.

Not sure how I feel about promoting it into an unofficial holiday. On one hand, those who actually lost friends / loved ones understandably want to commemorate it, especially if no body was recovered. On the other hand, the fact so many people without direct connection to the events continue to bring it up kind of suggests what we were accused of -- a country that doesn't really understand the violence and threat that some other countries deal with daily. When your life is always in danger and there is fighting in the streets, remembering one particular day seems ludicruous. The threat is so rare here, though, that 9/11 still remains a huge deal to many.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The biggest problem with 9/11 is that everyone had to freak out about it.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

9/11 was a wake up call. It reminded Americans of our mission to spread freedom, one that we had forsaken for too long since Vietnam.

Here in America, we can march down the street if we want to, as long as we get a permit. We can walk down streets safely, unless you look suspicious. You can say what you want here, as long as it's a Republican or Democratic talking point. You are free to choose. People in other societies can't choose. In Canada, if you buy a carton of cigarettes, you gotta look at gnarly pictures.

We're free to go on drives and listen to country stations with the same damn playlist everywhere we go. That's what this country is all about. It's what George Washington fought the French for.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

3 words: (1) New, (2) World, (3) Order!
    http://montalk.net/conspiracy
    Just know it's there, but don't let it consume you!
    The Illuminati want people to either be asleep or paranoid.
    Instead you should just be aware.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    9/11 was great because we really came together as a nation. There were no Republicans that day, no Democrats. We were all of one harmonious mind, acting towards one purpose.

We should have voted for Giulani for president, but noooo Republicans didn't want to go for it. If he was president, he would have solved the recession in 10 minutes, just like he solved 9/11.

Never forget. 9/11 also made it ok to be patriotic and love America again. Now you can't go into a doctor's office without seeing an American flag up. Actually, I'm a little annoyed that we don't see American flags in random ass places so much anymore. Now, patriotism isn't "groovy" anymore?

This is why I joined Glen Beck's 9/12 project. The biggest problem with this country today is that we don't see enough flags. As someone who has never left the suburbs of Omaha Nebraska, I was deeply affected by 9/11, and understand the importance of using flags to honor what happened.

You're trying REALLY hard to get people to acknowledge your sarcasm xP.
    ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 75.86% Introverted (I) 24.14%
    Intuitive (N) 83.87% Sensing (S) 16.13%
    Thinking (T) 84.38% Feeling (F) 15.63%
    Perceiving (P) 84.38% Judging (J) 15.63%

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Exactly. The blind fervent patriotism and fear mongering experienced in this country in response to the attack were pretty off-putting. I'm of the opinion that mockery of the event in its entirety is equally reactionary and broad. It's these polarized and emotional responses that are hurting this country on almost all political fronts today. No good decisions can be made this way, and the government is having a field day with the frightened and enraged populous.

Edit: oops too late. This was supposed to be at Raptor Wizard's first post.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm not opposed to polarization because it's divisive. If i'm ever opposed to polarization, it's only because it enables people to turn their brains off.

I don't think bipartisanship is an end worth striving for in and of itself. There's nothing wrong with sticking to your understanding or point of view on something and fighting for it. Everyone's opinions can't actually all be correct (including my own).

The only thing that might make stop mocking how insane everyone acted is if we had someone here who was actually close to someone killed or injured. No, being a pig farmer in Alabama who watched it happen on TV or a soccer mom in Long Island does not count.

9/11 is Ground Zero for why apathy can actually be a good thing, contrary to everything else I've heard. How many "violence is bad m'kay" liberals did you know who wanted to bomb the shit out of them a-rabs after this happened.... the country don't even matter? I've known quite a few.

You can directly draw a line between the reaction to 9/11 and widespread public support of the Iraq War (which isn't so popular now that people start realizing that maybe we can lose them and that people actually die).

We don't need to pretend that our violent impulses don't exist, but we do need to understand that they have consequences, and that everything isn't going to fall into place like a fucking Rambo movie.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Whether you believe the terrorists are the US government or al Qaeda, terrorism is a an attack which turns your own primal emotions into a weapon against your own self and your country. If you take control of those emotions, the weapon will be diffused. Controlling and changing your perception is one of the keys to controlling emotion. For example, simple frequent reports of attacks or attempted attacks makes the risk appear greater through control of information availability. If you think an attack is imminent, this triggers emotions and physiological responses. Long term, it alters your body, brain, and thought patterns.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Whether you believe the terrorists are the US government or al Qaeda, terrorism is a an attack which turns your own primal emotions into a weapon against your own self and your country. If you take control of those emotions, the weapon will be diffused.
    This always seemed obvious to me, but it seemed to go over a lot of people's heads at the time. Hell, some people even got offended for me even suggesting that "terrorism is working right now." Go figure.

Visit my Johari: