First 5678917 Last

Thread: Misandry

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Then I realized that many people will feign certainty.
    Are you sure of that?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest the men I see complaining online or in real life about women are all very, very similar and in many ways I think there's an envy of what womens lib and feminism are or have achieved, they feel left out and want some similar movement to attach themselves to or means to seek a profile.

On one level I think that this reflects the exhaustion or abscence of any real movements for social change or social challenge, so the recent past is repeated or emulated ad infinitum, on another level I think some of the people involved in this trend have got real issues, mysogyny or simple hurt egos disguised as attacks on misandry.

If I was asked to honestly appraise the power differentials and imbalances between the sexes I think it'd prove really telling that I'm very happy to be a man wouldnt want to wak up tommorrow as a woman, maybe if equality existed or liberation had truly taken place I wouldnt feel that way.
    I think your analysis has a grain of truth to it, in that people who complain about their gender or race's rights in general also have hurt feelings deep down, but that doesnt mean they are hateful or anything. Honestly, noone is complaining about women being sexist, Im complaining about sexism regardless of what gender its done to or by which gender its commited.

Really, I dont complain about how evil women are or anything like that, that would be ironic, since its also a generalization. Im simply saying men can be victims of sexism too, and as a man, theres no point in pretending this doesnt exist in order to seem manlier.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Misandry is a myth. Sexist attitudes affect men as well as women, of course they do, but for misandry to be a cultural problem, men would have to be oppressed BECAUSE THEY ARE MEN. This doesn't happen, because men still hold most power in society. Sometimes men are mocked for not being "manly" enough. That's not "misandry".
    Think about it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think your analysis has a grain of truth to it, in that people who complain about their gender or race's rights in general also have hurt feelings deep down, but that doesnt mean they are hateful or anything. Honestly, noone is complaining about women being sexist, Im complaining about sexism regardless of what gender its done to or by which gender its commited.

Really, I dont complain about how evil women are or anything like that, that would be ironic, since its also a generalization. Im simply saying men can be victims of sexism too, and as a man, theres no point in pretending this doesnt exist in order to seem manlier.
    Women are awesome. I love them.

Particularly the pirate or amazon ones.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Misandry is a myth. Sexist attitudes affect men as well as women, of course they do, but for misandry to be a cultural problem, men would have to be oppressed BECAUSE THEY ARE MEN. This doesn't happen, because men still hold most power in society. Sometimes men are mocked for not being "manly" enough. That's not "misandry".
    Think about it.
    No. Read a dictionary.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Are you sure of that?
    Not everyone who is certain is feigning (although they may still be wrong), and to be honest, I'm not sure how well it works for people who aren't NTP's. I think Fi doms or Ni doms operate differently, for instance.

But among NTPs, especially INTPs, if they get offended at critiques or people asking for explanations, it's because they don't actually know themselves, but don't want to admit that. Not even to themself, really. I know this because I operate the same way.

Notice that I'm not getting offended or taking your questioning personally. This is because I'm confident in my assessment. Although I suppose it is possible that I could still be wrong, it doesn't seem likely. I haven't seen alternative explanations for the kind of behavior I'm talking about that match the logical coherence of what I've come up with. If any can throw them my way, I'd love to read them.

But usually, people don't take me up on that offer.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Think about it.
    This is why I prefer the term "gender bias". It covers all those unreasonable, limiting things we do or say to another person just because of their gender, whether it be motivated by hatred, dislike, mistrust (the dictionary definition of misogyny/andry), or simply the reflexes of one's upbringing and culture. Men have been dumped on for generations, though in very different ways from women.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    No. Read a dictionary.
    I did.
    Urban Dictionary: “misandry – A term created by a group of straight white men who habitually confuse their “brain” with their anus. …”

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is why I prefer the term "gender bias". It covers all those unreasonable, limiting things we do or say to another person just because of their gender, whether it be motivated by hatred, dislike, mistrust (the dictionary definition of misogyny/andry), or simply the reflexes of one's upbringing and culture. Men have been dumped on for generations, though in very different ways from women.
    You're missing the point though. (Wow. I say that to you a lot.)
    The oppression of women is historical fact. You can't just borrow Greek terms to invent a word which is the supposed equivalent for men and pretend it has anything like the same cultural significance. Well, you can. But you're likely to be laughed at.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Women are awesome. I love them.
    Aileen Wuornos. Right up your alley.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I did.
    Urban Dictionary: “misandry – A term created by a group of straight white men who habitually confuse their “brain” with their anus. …”
    Saying misandry can't exist is kind of like saying black people can't hate Asians or, if they do, it doesn't "count" as racism. It's a fashionable enough opinion in certain circles, but I can't find any logical coherence to it. Yeah, I get that I'm supposed to say that it doesn't actually exist or doesn't "matter", but I think that expectation is stupid.

I know it's part of some post-modern exercise to try and reshape the world through language. Fine, language is important, and language does reflect thought to a certain extent. But for it to be effective, it has to be understood. This can't happen if you change the meanings of words at will (as arbitrary as they are) simply because it gives you more of a fuzzy feeling or makes you feel more morally superior. (It seems that only recently did people start deciding racism meant "having power." ) It's a pat oversimplification that glosses over complexities for the sake of morale-building.

Visit my Johari: