User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: Misandry

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I vehemently disagree with this.

Misandry is everywhere in our culture. In fact, it has become so much the norm that we dont even notice it or think its a problem. How many tv shows have I not seen portraying violence against men by women as a good thing. In fact, thats all tv shows and film seem to show nowadays is violent women, commiting cowardly acts of violence against men. These shows and films depict the woman as heroic and sexy for being violent against men. Now, imagine if this was men beating up women or commiting acts of violence against women that were portrayed as good. Noone would accept the role of the man in these situations as heroic. That isnt to say such of acts of violence aerent commited against women by men, they are, but I feel that misandry is very common too.

Fact is, both exist, and are very common. They are expressed in different ways, by different people.
    The shows and movies that I watch with female protagonists, show women in the role of hero or antihero, ones that in the past were reserved for men. That enemies are sometimes males (or females) is incidental.

It appears that men expect that women will respect them, regardless of behaviour. They expect that women will be 'feminine' where the definition would be passive, supportive, weak, nurturing, highly emotional and irrational. Otherwise, women are feminazis and misandrists.

What do you mean by that? How what works out for me?
    Those opinions you expressed. I dont believe you're correct but I dont see any point in talking about it too you, you seem pretty sure. So like I say, good luck with that.

Lol yeah, I considered that possibilty, I did say "provided this isnt sarcasm..." in my initial response to Lark, lol, its just that I get these type of reactions from many men towards other men telling them to grow some balls and man up that it was fair of me to a&ssume he was being serious, 'specially since I dont know Lark's opinions on this topic well at all.
    I'm not a fan of the simpering victim approach to life. Particularly not when life has dealt you a good hand or you're benefiting from the strong legacies of those who have been.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    Really? That's definitely wrong, I agree, but a lot of people think that violence against men committed by women is okay because hey women are too weak to actually cause harm. That would be misogyny.
    See, this is the problem with some feminists. Everything, including sexism agianst men is interpreted as misogyny; you seem to see yourself as always being the victim, while men are incapable of being victimized. I suppose all sexism has two sides, in that they cause both genders to be pigeonholed and seen as pawns in a war of the sexes rather than as human beings.

If a woman causes violence against a man, and its considered harmless, who suffers more? The man who has to go to the hospital, pay his hospital fees by himself and suffer potenial humilation of being seen as a wimp on top off that, or that women are seen as physically weak? We judge victimization by who suffers more, not by politcally correct standards.

Plus misandry isn't systematic like misogyny is.
    Yes it is.

Misogyny causes the rape, murder, and objectification of many women much more often than misandry causes the rape, murder, and objectification of men.
    Im no statistician or anything, so I cant really say which gender is more the victim of violence than an other, but I have heard, on a tv progam documenting violence against men that it just as common for men to be victims of domestic violence than women, its just that the men dont cry out for help, because they would seem like "wimps" or "unmanly" in the eyes of others.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not a fan of the simpering victim approach to life. Particularly not when life has dealt you a good hand or you're benefiting from the strong legacies of those who have been.
    Where did I say I am a fan of the simpering victim appraoch to life? I feel that noone should, regardless of the hand theyve been dealt, but the fact is, all of us, minority or no, if we are born in a first world country without any seroius physical defects or illness have.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    The shows and movies that I watch with female protagonists, show women in the role of hero or antihero, ones that in the past were reserved for men. That enemies are sometimes males (or females) is incidental.

It appears that men expect that women will respect them, regardless of behaviour. They expect that women will be 'feminine' where the definition would be passive, supportive, weak, nurturing, highly emotional and irrational. Otherwise, women are feminazis and misandrists.
    So you think that I call women who are not traditional female stereotypes misandrists and feminazis?

Thats quiet a leap there.

So you think that I call women who are not traditional female stereotypes misandrists and feminazis?

Thats quiet a leap there.
    Address my points.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Address my points.
    I dont have to justify anything to anyone, but I dont feel like being misread or misinterpreted so I will.

No, I dont think that strong heroine characters are feminazis or whatver, I do, however think that many tv shows portay a politcal correctness which excuses alot of behavior in women which shoudnt be excused. Even reality reflects this. Ive known girls(as well as men) who throw objects when angry, and in women at least it is seen as cute or sexy when in fact there is nothing heroic about behaving that way.

See, this is the problem with some feminists. Everything, including sexism agianst men is interpreted as misogyny; you seem to see yourself as always being the victim, while men are incapable of being victimized. I suppose all sexism has two sides, in that they cause both genders to be pigeonholed and seen as pawns in a war of the sexes rather than as human beings.

If a woman causes violence against a man, and its considered harmless, who suffers more? The man who has to go to the hospital, pay his hospital fees by himself and suffer potenial humilation of being seen as a wimp on top off that, or that women are seen as physically weak? We judge victimization by who suffers more, not by politcally correct standards.

Yes it is.

Im no statistician or anything, so I cant really say which gender is more the victim of violence than an other, but I have heard, on a tv progam documenting violence against men that it just as common for men to be victims of domestic violence than women, its just that the men dont cry out for help, because they would seem like "wimps" or "unmanly" in the eyes of others.
    Being seen as a wimp because he was hit by a female? That is misogyny. Both are wrong though. Misandry does exist but it's not systematic. Also, it's easy to google statistics and facts. We can assume all we want but at the end of the day, all we can actually rely on is proof. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN), one in six American women have been sexually assaulted (while one in 33 men have been sexually assaulted), and 90% of rapes are committed by men. According to National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), around 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year while it's estimated that 835,000 men are victims of the same. 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
    I really like cats and food.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

On the other hand, how many men would enjoy being told they are sharp dressers, good housekeepers, great cooks, very knowledgeable about music and art, and sensitive, empathetic fellows? This is the other side of the stereotype. Men who have these qualities (and most have at least some) are often not allowed to develop, enjoy, and share them without being judged or ridiculed.
    This clearly describes me, but I have never been judged or ridiculed because of these traits. And nobody ever said I looked "feminine", nor that I behaved like a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    They're only "nice guys" if they believe that popping in friendship tokens entitles them to future sex.
    It's funny because I had exactly the same "reverse" experience. Some very good female friends of mine wrongly assumed that, because I was male, I had to be sexually interested in them, that it was a kind of automatic law. This wasn't the case at all. Some of them who in fact desired more than friendship were greatly disappointed, and complained to their friends in return.

Just because I am sociable, enthusiastic, polite and nice doesn't mean I want to have sex with you.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI