User Tag List

First 11192021

Thread: Misandry

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't think it needs to be as "bad" for men in order to be taken just as seriously. I'm not sure whether it is or isn't as bad for men as it is for women, but does it really matter? Would a little misandry be okay? Is a little misogyny okay? Being concerned with one issue doesn't have to mean not being concerned with the other...
    The reason I said what I said was that in the same post, she spoke of the need to view the issues as two sides of the same coin while simultaneously stating (or seeming to state) that women's issues were more pressing.

Prefacing a request to treat the issues equally with an argument that one of the issues is more pressing makes it harder to take the latter request seriously.

To answer your question, a little anything is OK. Lysol kills 99.99% percent of germs, a little bit of germs are ok. Nothing in this world is 100% effective. So regardless of what we do, we will always have a little bit of crime, racism, sexism, classism and any other kind of ism.

Sometimes you just have to take solace in the fact that there is less crime than there used to be, and hope there is less in the future. But also know that social ills cant be eradicated, only addressed.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

No. I'm sorry but misandry may exist but it is not an epidemic that deserves advocacy groups.

I'm thinking of this in world wide terms, not just in first-world countries where everyone seems to whine about every issue. Men feel oppressed? Move to the Middle East, parts of Asia and Africa. You can have a couple wives, own all the property, rape without consequence, etc.

If the defense to this is "That's a shame but that doesn't mean we can't have more equality here".

I say bull. You have had more than equality and now that women have caught up it just "feels" like you're losing benefits. In reality, you are not. That's the process of equality at work. Equality does not equal fairness. Both genders still get shafted. It's pretty equal now.

(I also don't believe we need as much emphasis on women's rights in first world countries anymore.)

TL;DR: stop whining everyone.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    (I also don't believe we need as much emphasis on women's rights in first world countries anymore.)
    Agreed.

I'd rather everyone just moved on with their lives as a personal preference.

If the choice was between:

A) things the way they are now (powerful feminist movement with no counterweight)
    B) equally powerful mens and womens movements (in first world countries)
    C) no movements

I would take C every time.

But if C is never likely to come about, I would prefer B to A.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    We are told to be aware by what we see on TV, we have to go to HR sexual harassment seminars, we have to go to college rape orientations to be unaware a man would have to literally live under a rock...

You have awareness, I'm asking for awareness of our issues. Specifically, that options for men have become more limited than they were. The most fucked up thing, is that in the cultural sphere the assumption seems to be that men aren't deserving of the same kinds of consideration.
    Attending mandatory training like you describe does not create true awareness. We are forced to attend such sessions where I work, and people are so unfavorably disposed to it (and rightly so) that it generally goes in one ear and out the other. Real awareness comes from engagement with people in the affected group.

The reason your not hearing me bemoan the plight of women is that you already have millions of people doing that very thing.
    A reasonable approach. An individual cannot solve all the world's problems. It is wise to choose a limited sphere that we can actually hope to influence, and concentrate our efforts there. We need people speaking up for bias against men.

To clarify, I'm not advocating the kind of gender partisanship you fear.

Just that for us to have a successful movement, it has to be separate.

This is only until we are established enough to actually be able to debate with the other side from an equal position.

Otherwise I fear our concerns would be subsumed if we tried to pursue them under the general aegis of femenism.
    You cannot effectively pursue men's interests under the banner of contemporary feminism. Ideally, we would all work against gender bias as a single issue, affecting men and women in ways that are sometimes similar, sometimes different. I think we can do this on an individual level, in how we interact with people and lead our daily lives. As a movement, however, it is just too broad. It might be easier to break it up by topic rather than gender. For instance, groups can advocate for family friendly workplace policies; educational improvements for boys and girls;, reduction in domestic violence, to include child, partner, and elder abuse; greater equity in family/divorce law; and consumer awareness/rights. All of these affect both men and women, and cover many of the issues where bias has been significant, one way or the other.

The reason I said what I said was that in the same post, she spoke of the need to view the issues as two sides of the same coin while simultaneously stating (or seeming to state) that women's issues were more pressing.
    It might be clearer to describe misandry and misogyny, and all forms of sexist behavior, as symptoms of the same underlying disease. It is what I call gender bias: the fundamental notion that women and men are more different than alike to the point that it is OK to constrain or compel individual behavior on this basis alone. It is addressing this "disease" that is truly pressing. More women than men are affected by it, and when affected suffer more severe and numerous "symptoms", but that takes nothing away from the negative experience of men who are affected.

A group with limited resources, however, can easily consider they will get more bang for the buck by targeting their efforts toward women, or even a subset of women, like inner city girls, or homemakers trying to (re)enter the workforce. It is fine to take a divide-and-conquer approach to the problem, as long as we understand the broader context, and where our small piece fits in, and avoid undermining the efforts of groups focused on another aspect of the problem. (This is where some feminist groups go astray.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

This probably isn't going to add much to the discussion, but yes, I do believe it exists.

Unfortunately, it's also hideously abused, in much the same way that extreme feminism is. Respect is a simple two way street regardless of gender, and any person, male or female, that makes a judgement call on anyone based on their gender.

I am often criticised for not having certain masculine traits. By women.

I'm not physically motivated, I'm a pacifist that refuses to engage in confrontation, I enjoy pretty things that would often be considered "feminine". I'm more involved in my emotions than my gender is socially expected to be by a lot of people, and I seek the kind of emotional security that women are usually stereotyped as desiring.

I'm not saying the entire male species should revolt and start a Men's Lib or anything so ridiculous, or that it is anywhere near as big a problem as what women have to deal with. It most certainly isn't. But its certainly naive to suggest that women aren't capable of the same sexism as men, or that it doesn't happen.

A man has no right to judge a woman based solely on her gender any more than a woman has a right to judge him solely based on his. Equality means equality.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

The Penal Colony and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova

Let's try and get this into perspective.

Sexism is not about trivialities, it is about power relations between men and women.

So we should support those women who are challenging these power relations by losing their freedom, losing their health, and putting their lives at risk, such as Nadezhda Tolokonnikova.

Yes, they took Pussy Riot punk band member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova to the medical unit of her penal colony after her health worsened on the fifth day of a hunger strike.

Yes, those fighting for equality and freedom between women and men are sent to a penal colony to work in slave-like conditions.

Click on http://news.yahoo.com/pussy-riot-inm...002810296.html

Epiphany

Though I am a fan of Jurassic Park and look forward to the new sequel in 2015, Jurassic World; it has sadly occurred to me that the films are, in fact, feminist propaganda. All of the dinosaurs in the first film are female, though we're led to believe those reptilian misandrists found a way to propagate without the pesky male dinosaurs. Or even worse, they transformed into males (which is what rabid feminists with penis envy really want anyway). It's very Orwellian. Jurassic Park is just a modernized Animal Farm where the oppressed females become oppressive males. Notice that in all three of the movies, not a SINGLE woman is ever killed by the dinosaurs. Only the men are devoured by these carnivorous, feminist monsters. Even the little girl in the beginning of The Lost World who gets attacked by a horde of tiny dinosaurs survives her ordeal, but when a full grown man gets attacked by them later in the film, he inevitably dies. The movies are a metaphor for the rampant chaos of the feminist movement trying to eradicate men from the face of the earth to satisfy their insatiable appetite for control.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

it does exist, but misogyny exists way more, structural. feminism is necessary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
    Though I am a fan of Jurassic Park and look forward to the new sequel in 2015, Jurassic World; it has sadly occurred to me that the films are, in fact, feminist propaganda. All of the dinosaurs in the first film are female, though we're led to believe those reptilian misandrists found a way to propagate without the pesky male dinosaurs. Or even worse, they transformed into males (which is what rabid feminists with penis envy really want anyway). It's very Orwellian. Jurassic Park is just a modernized Animal Farm where the oppressed females become oppressive males. Notice that in all three of the movies, not a SINGLE woman is ever killed by the dinosaurs. Only the men are devoured by these carnivorous, feminist monsters. Even the little girl in the beginning of The Lost World who gets attacked by a horde of tiny dinosaurs survives her ordeal, but when a full grown man gets attacked by them later in the film, he inevitably dies. The movies are a metaphor for the rampant chaos of the feminist movement trying to eradicate men from the face of the earth to satisfy their insatiable appetite for control.
    I'm not sure that you've grasped the meaning of "propaganda"...lol.