User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Thread: Misandry

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    You can claim to be the advocate for "the real world". But as @Coriolis pointed out consumption doesn't always equal preference and companies are as actively involved in creating the ideas of what people want as they to responding to them.

None of us were decrying patriarchy over hiking boots only remarking that it is ones example of how stereotypical gender norms are in culture and what the underlying logic is behind them. The idea that women what to feel feminine while hiking is based on the idea that women expect to be on display while hiking. The message being that even when enjoying excercise a woman man concern is /should be being attractive.and she does this by adopting trapping of "girlishness" associated with very bright pink.
    Yes and I was able to find girls brown hiking boots in almost no time flat. Last time I checked most hiking boots were woods colored.

Of course consumption doesn't always equal preference, and companies do help set trends, but until you can show that companies play a larger role in setting trends than they do cater to the extant desires of their customers, that argument just weakens the statement that companies only respond to what their clients want. Which for the record I was never arguing in the first place.

I was arguing that while there are statistically significant percentages of both genders that prefer to non conform, there are more folks who do conform on the whole, and that in light of the larger markets that conformity augers it makes sense for companies to cater their products first to those larger markets, before more specialized companies, or smaller departments in larger ones cater their products to those smaller markets.

A company might be able to influence what color, or whats hip with regards to shoes, but they don't control the base desire for shoes. Just like Glock doesn't make me want to buy a gun, but may influence what type of gun I want.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes and I was able to find girls brown hiking boots in almost no time flat. Last time I checked most hiking boots were woods colored.
    Hiking boots - yes. Jackets, sweaters, fleeces, etc. not so much. It always amazes me how hard it is to find what I think are simple things: grey dress pants for work, for instance. Now they are probably available from a number of online vendors, but in the stores where I can go in person and try on the fit, it's rare and usually very expensive.

As for the boots: many years ago, my SO and I both were looking for hiking boots. We found a store with good leather boots in men's, women's and boys' sizes. They all looked more or less the same, but the men's and boys' were insulated, while the women's were not (even though the stereotype is that women have cold feet). So, even when comparable items appear to be available, they are not always truly comparable. The hiking boot situation is better now, especially if you are willing to spend the money on specialized stuff. But when I go to the shoe store, there is still an order of magnitude more useful, durable, comfortable styles in the men's section than the women's. Most of the women's section shouldn't be dignified with the term "shoes".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Hiking boots - yes. Jackets, sweaters, fleeces, etc. not so much. It always amazes me how hard it is to find what I think are simple things: grey dress pants for work, for instance. Now they are probably available from a number of online vendors, but in the stores where I can go in person and try on the fit, it's rare and usually very expensive.

As for the boots: many years ago, my SO and I both were looking for hiking boots. We found a store with good leather boots in men's, women's and boys' sizes. They all looked more or less the same, but the men's and boys' were insulated, while the women's were not (even though the stereotype is that women have cold feet). So, even when comparable items appear to be available, they are not always truly comparable. The hiking boot situation is better now, especially if you are willing to spend the money on specialized stuff. But when I go to the shoe store, there is still an order of magnitude more useful, durable, comfortable styles in the men's section than the women's. Most of the women's section shouldn't be dignified with the term "shoes".
    But what's your point?

Are you railing against how the preferences of women who are not you constrain the variety of products branded towards women available to you? If so, take it up with the other women.

If there was more money to be made in branding female garb the way you would prefer, the companies would do so.

What you can do, and what anyone who has rare non common preferences can do, is find a specialty store that caters to your needs and pay a little bit more for a specialized product that appeals to a narrower part of the market.

Are you saying that more women are non gender conforming and therefore the companies should push guy products towards female markets (in female sizes of course)? For the record I don't think you are arguing this.

Regardless, this seems like an issue that I would file under hassle and not alert the media!!!

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    You can claim to be the advocate for "the real world". But as Coriolis pointed out consumption doesn't always equal preference and companies are as actively involved in creating the ideas of what people want as they to responding to them.

None of us were decrying patriarchy over hiking boots only remarking that it is ones example of how stereotypical gender norms are in culture and what the underlying logic is behind them. The idea that women what to feel feminine while hiking is based on the idea that women expect to be on display while hiking. The message being that even when enjoying excercise a woman man concern is /should be being attractive.and she does this by adopting trapping of "girlishness" associated with very bright pink.
    Take this vicious androphobia elsewhere!
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Clearly what I was trying to say is MEN SUCKKKKKKKK

right?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Dangol men. With their brown shoes and pants. A pox upon them all!

MBTI
    STP

I don't wish they didn't make right handed stuff. I wish Mizuno made more blades irons lefty than just the MP-32s (the set I have).

I wish most guns didn't eject brass in my face. But shit, that's just the way the world is.

I'm a huge fan of, Eyes Wide Shut. The movie studios would not make nearly the money they do if they catered to my tastes as opposed to the rom com, michael bay, superhero sets.

I like reading long form articles in National Affairs. National review, CNN, HUFFPO etc.. would lose their cite traffic tomorrow if they ignored celeb babies, and other bullshit human interest news stories.

Somehow I don't think the journalistic efforts of Ramesh Ponnuru, Yuval Levin, William Galston, Reihan Salam, Rod Dreher and James Pethokoukis appeal to a huge base of readers on the interwebs.

The only reason stereotypes persist is that there is a grain (or more) of truth to them.
    All of that bores me, celebrity affairs and foreign affairs.

Stereotypes have truths, and the have falsities. Its funny how people project partial truths as full truths. I prefer finding full truths, instead of half ass stereotypes. Stereotypes are there to play with, nothing more. I would rather find the individual.
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    How is it misogyny? They're attacking men when they do this. And the fact men can't really defend themselves when this happens without some moron shouting misogynist makes it even more misandrist.
    Please! You are promulgating the misogynist myth of vagina dentata.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

But what's your point?

Are you railing against how the preferences of women who are not you constrain the variety of products branded towards women available to you? If so, take it up with the other women.

If there was more money to be made in branding female garb the way you would prefer, the companies would do so.

What you can do, and what anyone who has rare non common preferences can do, is find a specialty store that caters to your needs and pay a little bit more for a specialized product that appeals to a narrower part of the market.

Are you saying that more women are non gender conforming and therefore the companies should push guy products towards female markets (in female sizes of course)? For the record I don't think you are arguing this.
    I am arguing this, to a certain extent, and it is not about branding female products, but having them available at all in many cases. I don't think my preferences are all that rare, especially among subsets of women, e.g. women who like hiking and camping. I wonder how many women do buy men's products, thereby skewing data on what women prefer in the products marketed to women. Much purchasing is driven by cost and convenience (what is in stock, or the right size, etc.), especially in items with important practical considerations like outdoor gear. Women purchase from the options presented, which doesn't necessarily mean they prefer them. Manufacturers should be a bit less timid and narrow-minded in what they offer, and stop reinforcing stereotypes unnecessarily.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Please! You are promulgating the misogynist myth of vagina dentata.
    You don't make any sense.