User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Thread: Misandry

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I don't think gromit was claiming misogyny. More just frustration that vendors think that most women want pink and purple hiking gear (and tht men dont).
    why do you always put words in my mouth, and assume i'm being serious?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yea I'd love, as a left handed person, if all golf clubs, writing utensils and a host of other things in life weren't built for right handed people.

Sure there are left handed versions, but they aren't offered for all models of products.

But you know what, I know there are less lefty's than there are righty's.

I've made piece, with that fact. Surely there are boys that want to play with dolls and girls that want to play GI Joe, but those folks are not as numerous as other groups, and as such should be able to make piece with the fact that the world is going to cater to the most common folks in every instance.

I wish more news, movies, tv shows were high brow, but most people aren't as smart as I am, and therefore it makes sense for the Media entities to cater to the largest audience.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Think about it from a marketing standpoint with limited funds.

You can't afford to make umpteen million different versions of a product, so in an effort to use your dollars most wisely, you target the largest market segments.

The markets for guys gear colored dark green, blue, brown, black etc.. is larger than the guys wanting pink market.

The girls wanting pink market is larger than the girls wanting brown market.

It's a simple question of limited funds, and the most effective markets.

What have you based these ideas about the market on besides stereotypes about gender?

I prefer brown hiking boots, as does gromit. And hikers being more earthy, outdoorsy types in general it makes sense to me that they would prefer earth colors.

I'm thinkin that it's no so much a market response as a preemptive strike based in very limited ideas about they te genders like

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Yea I'd love, as a left handed person, if all golf clubs, writing utensils and a host of other things in life weren't built for right handed people.

Sure there are left handed versions, but they aren't offered for all models of products.

I've made piece, with that fact. Surely there are boys that want to play with dolls and girls that want to play GI Joe, but those folks are not as numerous as other groups, and as such should be able to make piece with the fact that the world is going to cater to the most common folks in every instance.

I wish more news, movies, tv shows were high brow, but most people aren't as smart as I am, and therefore it makes sense for the Media entities to cater to the largest audience.

You are assuming that most female hikers want pink hiking boots just because they are women. The idea that women all want "cute" things or pink things or "sexy" version of thinks like hiking boots I think is a very narrow, an could even be seen as a bit demeaning, view of women.

As an adult women who knows other adult women they enjoy a variety of colors.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

You are assuming that most female hikers want pink hiking boots just because they are women. The idea that women all want "cute" things or pink things or "sexy" version of thinks like hiking boots I think is a very narrow, an could even be seen as a bit demeaning, view of women.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Marketing decisions like this can easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Women buy more pink and purple items because . . . that's what is available at the store. The situation is better with toys, since it is much easier for both girls and boys to play with toys marketed to the opposite gender. At least for some women (me included), men's clothing doesn't have the right size and fit, otherwise I would just buy it when I want those colors/styles and not complain.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    STP

Lmao...u say you wish they didn't make right handed stuff...yet u have made piece.

Generalization sells because its not complicated. Its black and white, or in terms of mbti its 16 shades of grey.

Lmao...I read I am so smart as..I am so concieted
    Im out, its been fun

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Lmao...u say you wish they didn't make right handed stuff...yet u have made piece.

Generalization sells because its not complicated. Its black and white, or in terms of mbti its 16 shades of grey.

Lmao...I read I am so smart as..I am so concieted
    I don't wish they didn't make right handed stuff. I wish Mizuno made more blades irons lefty than just the MP-32s (the set I have).

I wish most guns didn't eject brass in my face. But shit, that's just the way the world is.

I'm a huge fan of, Eyes Wide Shut. The movie studios would not make nearly the money they do if they catered to my tastes as opposed to the rom com, michael bay, superhero sets.

I like reading long form articles in National Affairs. National review, CNN, HUFFPO etc.. would lose their cite traffic tomorrow if they ignored celeb babies, and other bullshit human interest news stories.

Somehow I don't think the journalistic efforts of Ramesh Ponnuru, Yuval Levin, William Galston, Reihan Salam, Rod Dreher and James Pethokoukis appeal to a huge base of readers on the interwebs.

The only reason stereotypes persist is that there is a grain (or more) of truth to them.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You can say its demeaning all you want. Where do you think there is more money to be made, marketing to women hikers, or marketing to female furniture shoppers?

Surely the market will accommodate all kinds of tastes for instance.... http://www.rei.com/product/842425/va...g-boots-womens

Some brown womens hiking boots that it took me 5 seconds to find on REI. But overall, the culture is going to reflect the most common tastes among its people. Truck commercials are narrated by crazy baritone voice guys.

Prius commercials are narrated by kids, or other people that sounds like they just underwent the revitiligo treatment at politically correct camp "lets humm. a prius for everyone".

The Zapos commercials are targeted to women, because they buy shoes on the web.

This is the real world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

You can say its demeaning all you want. Where do you think there is more money to be made, marketing to women hikers, or marketing to female furniture shoppers?

Surely the market will accommodate all kinds of tastes for instance.... http://www.rei.com/product/842425/va...g-boots-womens

Some brown womens hiking boots that it took me 5 seconds to find on REI. But overall, the culture is going to reflect the most common tastes among its people. Truck commercials are narrated by crazy baritone voice guys.

Prius commercials are narrated by kids, or other people that sounds like they just underwent the revitiligo treatment at politically correct camp "lets humm. a prius for everyone".

The Zapos commercials are targeted to women, because they buy shoes on the web.

This is the real world.

You can claim to be the advocate for "the real world". But as @Coriolis pointed out consumption doesn't always equal preference and companies are as actively involved in creating the ideas of what people want as they to responding to them.

None of us were decrying patriarchy over hiking boots only remarking that it is ones example of how stereotypical gender norms are in culture and what the underlying logic is behind them. The idea that women what to feel feminine while hiking is based on the idea that women expect to be on display while hiking. The message being that even when enjoying excercise a woman man concern is /should be being attractive.and she does this by adopting trapping of "girlishness" associated with very bright pink.