Thread: Misandry

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ I think that's a valid point.

It's a strange imbalance. It's almost like for men, awareness and protection is entrenched, but not active, while for women it's active but not entrenched. Obviously the goal would be both activation and entrenchment for both sides.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I do think some women expect tolerance for things they don't tolerate in men, though. I think that's misandry. If making gendered insults is unacceptable for men, it should also be unacceptable for women. If a man shouldn't call a woman a bitch , women shouldn't call men pussies.
    Yeah, this is pretty common. A lot of women act controlling and mean and generally treat their men really badly, and society condones it. It's part of the backlash, which just has to run its course. It seems that we're getting to that point though where things are evening out again. Sexism is still present against both genders, so it's a delicate and unstable situation, but I think the time has come when we can begin to cooperate and approach a state of true harmony.

It's like any conflict and the resolution process, except it takes place on a large scale throughout history. People have to talk about it, fight, learn to trust, talk some more, and finally after getting all our emotion and aggression out and thoroughly discussing the matter make up and come to a greater understanding than before. I think history is just a process of collective evolution in consciousness by conflict resolution and problem solving.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I do think some women expect tolerance for things they don't tolerate in men, though. I think that's misandry. If making gendered insults is unacceptable for men, it should also be unacceptable for women. If a man shouldn't call a woman a bitch , women shouldn't call men pussies.
    This is ubiquitous. It isn't even conscious most of the time. Men also tolerate things in women that they wouldn't tolerate in other men.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Consider this: I dunno if you guys have ever noticed this, but at least where I live, it's essentially impossible for a woman to buy just-deodorant from the drugstore - it's all antiperspirant-deodorant, whereas men are generally offered many options in both deodorant and anti-perspirant deodorant.

============

Anyway, I think this sort of situation probably happens to "feminists" a lot.

Just goes to show we should all try to educate ourselves more and judge one another less.
    Good Grief. I long ago figured out that the things marketed to men were generally more useful, practical, durable, comfortable, etc. etc. This is especially true in footwear, and many styles of clothing. Just use them already, if you can, and don't worry about the name. (I've long used deodorant marketed to men, but look for unscented/neutral scent, since even the scents I might like are just too strong. I wouldn't want flowers/fruit that strong, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What worries me is that there is zero cultural salience for mens issues.

The biggest breakthrough we've had thus far, are the spate of articles regarding the achievement gap between men and women in education.
    I see articles on men: going into traditionally female professions like nursing; wanting and using more family-friendly benefits in the workplace; addressing stress, certain cancers, heart disease, and other ailments as they specifically target men; overcoming the social programming that teaches them to deny feelings and suppress many expressions of caring; and dealing with racial profiling in ways that women are often spared.

There is not nearly as much as on comparable "women's issues", but there is much more than there used to be. Eventually we will work beyond these divides to see all of these as simply human issues.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Good Grief. I long ago figured out that the things marketed to men were generally more useful, practical, durable, comfortable, etc. etc. This is especially true in footwear, and many styles of clothing. Just use them already, if you can, and don't worry about the name. (I've long used deodorant marketed to men, but look for unscented/neutral scent, since even the scents I might like are just too strong. I wouldn't want flowers/fruit that strong, either.)
    Well, it's not like I hadn't figured it out in other areas, but deodorant just honestly was never something I thought about. ISFJ and I have discussed men's vs. women's clothing frequently, our mutual conclusion being that men's clothing is generally less expensive, more utilitarian, and better made, though there is more variety to be found in women's clothing. It's interesting to see how these things quietly move down generations, and even though most women would speak to equality, as a whole we continue choosing products marketed for women enough such that products continued to be marketed specifically towards women, though whether they are actually tailored towards women's specific biologically-based benefit is questionable in nearly everything except tampons and bras.

In any case I raised the example because I tend to think of myself as a progressive, equality-thinking woman - I actually do already occasionally buy men's shoes, clothing, and other "masculine" items - but this was a case in which I found myself both blindsided and slipping the boundary between individual and system.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I actually love Old Spice and use it most of the time. Reminds me of my dad. (Who I forgot I don't love because I hate men.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I actually love Old Spice and use it most of the time. Reminds me of my dad. (Who I forgot I don't love because I hate men.)
    For me it's the socks. I see better choices available now, but when I was in the military, I could not find warm, comfortable, sturdy black socks for women, so I started buying men's, and still do (they are cheaper).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW by Old Spice I mean deodorant. Not aftershave. I'm all about egalitarianism but I'm not shaving my face.

Technique and Being - Male and Female Roles

To a degree sexism under patriarchy is about gender roles.

So there are certain roles for women and certain roles for men. These roles are breaking down as I write. And yet I know there are certain ways as a man, I should behave.

What I am finding most interesting at the moment is the technological imperative.

I live in a society that is rational, technological and successful. And yet I am deeply drawn to the world of being.

And the world of technique and the world of being seem to be at odds.

This is an age-old problem, for the Ancient Greeks first asked the question, what is being? But we seem to have forgotten this question and merely ask, how to do it?

I find it physically comfortable to live in a technologically advanced country, but psychologically uncomfortable to live in a country that disregards being.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Misandry isn't a problem? What about the women who rig rat traps in their vaginas and bait men into having sex with them because they blame men for all their problems?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Misandry isn't a problem? What about the women who rig rat traps in their vaginas and bait men into having sex with them because they blame men for all their problems?
    This is a cliché of misogyny.