• Cable News

3 25.00%
  • Local Network News

4 33.33%
  • Other(gossip, street preachers, etc)

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you get your news from?

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I get most of my news from internet and radio. I listen to NPR and BBC on the radio as I drive around, and sometimes at home in the evening. It is always interesting to note the different perspective the non-US sources have, even in what stories they choose to cover.
    Me too, and I agree. The worst is US sources' versions of "world news". My husband and I laugh about it, but it's really pretty sick how US-centric their world news is. It's really important to keep a broader perspective than that, in my opinion.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Kotaku, Al Jazeera, and Fox Nation are my three most frequented news outlets.

4w5 sx/so

From an email in which someone asked me this 2-3 yrs ago:

I read as much and as broadly as I can, including from magazines and newspapers that I think, to varying degrees, are retarded (Pravda, Xinhua, El Pais, Der Spiegel, The Nation, Mother Jones, NYT, etc.), just to see what they're saying/thinking.

The internet makes it so easy to read from so many sources, my real problem is feeling like I just can't read enough (typical enneagram 5).

The publications to which I subscribe are The Economist, The Financial Times, the LA Times, the NY Times, John Mauldin's 'Thoughts from the Frontline' and 'Outside the Box', Stratfor, Foreign Affairs (just ended my subscription -- wasn't reading it), the Pete G. Peterson Foundation and The Daily Reckoning (makers of I.O.U.S.A.), Casey Research, Zacks Investment Research, The Motley Fool, and The Daily Beast.

I wish it made sense to pay for the $800 subscription to Grant's Interest Rate Observer, but, alas, it does not. Same for certain other finance-related newsletters (The Gartman Letter, The Dow Theory Letter, Economic Cycle Research Institute, et al).

I also visit Drudge, which brings me into contact with the various British papers, Yahoo news, Reuters, Wall St. Journal, Bloomberg, local papers, and many others.

Aside from those, it's mainly Yahoo Finance, ESPN, one or two blogs, Sherdog (I love MMA , and whatever other sites I stumble upon or are sent to me...

My dad, by no desire of my own, more or less subscribes me to a conservative op-ed writer for The Boston Globe (an otherwise liberal newspaper), but I only read those once in a blue moon.

I used to subscribe to The Hoover Institution (a conservative think tank based out of Stanford) early in my college days, but haven't for a long time, and I'm thinking about subscribing to Philosophy Now (the biggest quarterly journal on philosophy).

Oh, I also recently started subscribing to YouTube channels, so I get various ones on MMA, the Federal Budget, TEDTalks, etc.
    I now subscribe to The Washington Post and have switched from The Financial Times to The Journal.

I also failed to mention Calculated Risk, which is one of my favorite blogs/newsletters.

The enneagram 5 comment is funny.
    The Justice Fighter

XXXX - XwX Xdw XwX sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6