User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

What's your position on a good post work cocktail?
    Dude, I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and out of nowhere just went on this tear about how small businesses do more for the well-being of their communities than any department of the federal government ever could, and that more should be done to promote the power of individual states to address the needs of their citizens as they were at a better vantage to do so than some Washington bureaucrat. I have no idea where it came from. I felt like it just bubbled up unconsciously from deep within in my soul.

I'm a bob, some pearls and a red pant suit away from becoming Condoleezza Rice.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

figsfiggyfigs

Shockingly, I am with you on this.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Classic Republican demagoguery.

Because of them, the middle class is virtually being destroyed in the US. The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer with each new decade of reaganism or bushism. The so-called "American Dream" is no more. And should these wonderful ideas be implemented, this trend will be exacerbated.

Without a fair chance to achieve higher education, the stupid will get even stupider and will have no chance to improve their miserable condition.

It's the conservative dream. Don't listen what they say, just look at what will happen if you believe in their "solutions".
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Classic Republican demagoguery.

Because of them, the middle class is virtually being destroyed in the US. The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer with each new decade of reaganism or bushism. The so-called "American Dream" is no more. And should these wonderful ideas be implemented, this trend will be exacerbated.

Without a fair chance to achieve higher education, the stupid will get even stupider and will have no chance to improve their miserable condition.

It's the conservative dream. Don't listen what they say, just look at what will happen if you listen to them.
    The article makes an important point; the poor uneducated already have no chance.

You must come up with a counter-proposal that will give them better odds than our current system.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Education policy is one of my favorite areas.

I think the licensing and accreditation process has become too burdensome and an unnecessary barrier to entry in some fields.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But what can be done about it?

What kind of incentives or regulations can be done to get companies to provide job training and apprenticeships, and what forces have created the shift to ward doing everything through college degrees anyhow?
    It would start with the highschools creating different tracks for freshman year or sophomore year. Kind of like England.

From there you would get more buy in from the business community.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Yes, yes we are. And universities are taking advantage of it by charging more and more, while spending smaller and smaller percentages towards the quality of the product itself (faculty raises, upgraded equipment, etc) and ensuring students can, you know, get a high paying job afterward. Eventually, this bubble will pop, and when it does, the idea of overpaying for a college education as "an investment into the future" will be greatly reduced, which will open the door to alternatives.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Yes, yes we are. And universities are taking advantage of it by charging more and more, while spending smaller and smaller percentages towards the quality of the product itself (faculty raises, upgraded equipment, etc) and ensuring students can, you know, get a high paying job afterward. Eventually, this bubble will pop, and when it does, the idea of overpaying for a college education as "an investment into the future" will be greatly reduced, which will open the door to alternatives.
    This bubble will never "pop". It will never happen, or only within your dreams.

Because education remains, more than ever and especially in the United States, the major discriminant between the high dominant class and any other class.

Once again, the OP's article is just plain conservative demagoguery. Demagoguery means it says exactly what you want to hear, and not what is really happening. Even when in fact what it proposes is that the modern slaves should humbly accept their fate, that the American meritocracy is dead.

Continue this way, and people like me will always remain your masters.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

If your aim is to defend a dwindling privilege then yeah, the less competition for the little rich kids the better, otherwise the chinese and other nations will out compete an uneducated or MTV nation in no time

Elitism sucks balls