User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default Millennial uprising. Will it happen?

Unemployment, underemployment, fears about social security, outsourcing.

Numerous articles talk about the frustration of milenials and their lack (or inability o have a ) stake in society. Do you think the combination of educated people with nothing to lose might ever revolt?

Just musing.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I believe that it will happen.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've got $500 bucks on no.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@Stanton Moore @duscobiscuit

What do you think it would take to set it off

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The Outsiders: How Can Millennials Change Washington If They Hate It?

This is a good article to read about why millennials hate all the ways they could go about actually changing things.

More to the point Occupy Wall Street made a joke of itself.

If an uprising were to occur I don't see it being localized to millennials.

More specifically, I don't see any real chance for an uprising until a larger economic crash occurring because of how completely we've failed to deal with this one.

Having Obama in office, makes it tougher to vilify government for the adolescent hippy set.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

When they finally see that the American dream will not happen at all for them, that’s when they will start protesting the status quo, which means social upheaval, rioting, demonstrations; this will be a big problem for the upper class, who will be targeted for their excesses.
    In reality, having their own kids will set this off, becase the M's will see that their offspring also can't get ahead, and that the system is rigged against them.
    It will be here in 10 to 15 years.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The Outsiders: How Can Millennials Change Washington If They Hate It?

This is a good article to read about why millennials hate all the ways they could go about actually changing things.

More to the point Occupy Wall Street made a joke of itself.

If an uprising were to occur I don't see it being localized to millennials.

More specifically, I don't see any real chance for an uprising until a larger economic crash occurring because of how completely we've failed to deal with this one.

Having Obama in office, makes it tougher to vilify government for the adolescent hippy set.

A good article and yes it does show millennials rejecting traditional avenues of change. It focuses on students though, do you think that when facing an desert like job market that distrust of politics and desire for community change could become revolt (not necessarily violent mind you)?

I agree occupy was very muddled but it does set a precedent for community activism in real life and space, unshackled from the screen if you will.

As for Obama I think there is considerable frustration with him even amoungst hippies, ultimately his is well within the two party Washington gridlock.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think so.

I think they are strongly identified with the people and system which is the source of their woes.

The plutonomy is strong, in really rude health all things consdiered, if there is any struggle at all, and I dont believe there is, it will be between factions of the plutonomy itself, like we will see at the G20 about currencies dominance and financial transactions, or struggle which will ultimately benefit their interests.

In the UK when any social struggle from the nineties has played out the outcome has been to reduce the tax bill of the top one percent of seriously uber rich, any social struggle, the financial crisis created by the banking system and fraudsters was turned into an opportunity by their political representatives to par away massive sections of social spending and roll back what working people and their representatives had achieved by way of providing for a decent life for themselves from the time of world war two or before that. It was accomplished by a coalition of selfish capitalists who were actually unelected and, I believe, unelectable. They've not succeeded in creating a tea party tendency as well as the US has but they've tried to turn this into a popular struggle and by and large they've succeeded.

The only social class thought to be potentially a radical threat to the system, labelled the "precariat", is migrant labour but what they want is not to end or over throw or radically alter the system at all but to "have a share" of it, most of them would attack the agitators in the countries they are seeking to illegally enter and work in as ingrates, malingerers and workshy. So they are no threat. If the conservative elites where not worried about the unpopularity of doing so they would adopt them as a new constituency because they are more servile and used to harsher labour standards and working conditions, not to mention lower wages, and even lower consumer expectations, they are a dream.

The only struggles I see are between the Russians, the statesmen and their financial backers, who are part of the international plutonomy, with American and other players, the same class as they are, for ultimate power and wealth.

MBTI
    xxTP

What is a millenial? Does this forum have its own language?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    What is a millenial? Does this forum have its own language?
    It's the generation born early 80's to early 00's. aka Gen Y. Aka boomer spawn