User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Am I "feeling"? My feelings are irrelevant. It's quite clear that she was diminishing the harm of other assaults by claiming rape is the worst. It may not have been intentional, but that was the result. I've never died, so I don't "feel" personally slighted by this reasoning. I just find it confoundingly silly to argue that any violence is worse than murder. Rape is bad, but it's not the worst thing that can happen to a person. It's not even the worst kind of torture. I can think of many things worse than rape. This serves as an example of many murders that involve rape as part of the assault.

There is nothing more psychologically damaging than death. It is the end of the psyche.
    Sometimes rape victims commit suicide. I have a close friend who was raped and brutally assaulted with a lot of physical damage. The man who did it worked at a clinic and was a stranger. He had raped several other women over the years with escalating violence. A number of the former victims committed suicide. In this case you could argue that this individual did in fact commit murder through rape.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a feminist chastised me for my tone. There's already a thread for sharing personal experiences. I'm here to discuss ideas.
    The presence of a "tone" implies something other than a pure focus on ideas. This is an important point for many of these debates - a "tone" of dismissal, anger, etc. is emotional just like sharing personal anecdotes. Remove the "tone" and perhaps we can exchange pure ideas.

She didn't say her own needs for vigilance are different. She said women have to be more vigilant because of rape (meaning because of gender). I don't believe it. If an average woman has to be more vigilant than an average man, it's because of the strength difference, not gender. What's ironic is earlier she said rape is about the strong vs weak, then she contradicts herself with this line of thinking.
    You have a position that needs to be explored, but I still don't see how it compares to the Hilary quote.

This is a pretty messy subject to attempt to rate "assault" vs. "rape" vs. "murder" in terms of degree of harm. Some individuals would rather die than be raped, or rather be raped than assaulted, etc. How would people even go about trying to establish which is "worse". You can establish which crimes result in more bodily harm, you may be able to find statistics that demonstrate degree of emotional harm, but it just seems like an approach to the topic that doesn't have much chance at being explored objectively. Maybe you could say murder is the worst violation, but that should include those assaults and rapes that later result in death either through suicide or from complications. Beyond that isn't this discussion impossible for reaching "objective" conclusions?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Sometimes rape victims commit suicide. I have a close friend who was raped and brutally assaulted with a lot of physical damage. The man who did it worked at a clinic and was a stranger. He had raped several other women over the years with escalating violence. A number of the former victims committed suicide. In this case you could argue that this individual did in fact commit murder through rape.
    Rape often does lead to murder, whether through the violence of the act itself, or the rapist simply killing the victim afterward to silence her. In these cases, the murder is often the focus of the news reports ("a 19-year-old woman was found dead in **town park yesterday . . . "), but examination of the body reveals evidence of sexual assault. This is why women are encouraged to resist any rape attempt: there is a fair chance they will end up dead anyway.

The presence of a "tone" implies something other than a pure focus on ideas. This is an important point for many of these debates - a "tone" of dismissal, anger, etc. is emotional just like sharing personal anecdotes. Remove the "tone" and perhaps we can exchange pure ideas.
    "Tones" supposedly convey ideas, but in a woefully imprecise manner. If the idea is worth expressing through a tone, it is worth expressing explicitly and clearly, to minimize likelihood of misinterpretation, so at least we are all talking about the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    The average includes slaves and disenfranchised Chinese workers barred from citizenship.
    Quite. If my success came at others' expense, I wouldn't be too proud of myself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Drunk driving is only punishable because the law says it is. We could outlaw "drunk sex" as well, though enforcement would certainly be a problem. Whether in sex or driving, though, the real problem is the greater likelihood of doing damage while drunk.
    So, if you cannot possibly monitor if a law is being broken, what is the practical purpose of its enaction?

You understand that your proposal would require 1) setting a specific limit of alchool levels in your blood which means "drunkness" in the context of sex - which is going to be higher than "drunkness" in the case of car driving, of course; 2) monitoring this limit every time you want to have sex, for both partners; 3) having a differing limit in the case of romantic relationships vs sex with strangers; 4) being held liable of rape anytime this limit has not been measured, since any of the two parties could have been drunk.

I'm just saying, this "neither party should have drunk sex in the context of a relationship" is far fetched. Because it leaves out the law's main point when it comes to sex, namely the presence of consent - so drunkness should not matter, only the presence of absence of consent. (of course, if you are passed out you cannot possibly give consent, so that kind of scenario is automatically taken into account).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Unless you drop that patronizing tone and start making reasonable arguments, you're going to continue being the joke of the forum.
    I haven't seen you make or respond to any reasonable arguments in this thread

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I haven't seen you make or respond to any reasonable arguments in this thread
    Nor have I claimed to.

Lateralus has covered the relevant parts pretty well, and I don't like being redundant.

Made him a compliment, and Lark has decided that I must find rape amusing. Annoying, but hardly surprising.

Randomnity has made good points on the female side.

I've noticed that you only engage me to take cheap shots. You should put me on ignore already.

'Nuff said
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

When I was 19, during my sophomore year in college, I was at a party with my girlfriend at the time. It came to light that she was cheating on me. It wasn't a serious relationship, but teenagers tend to over-dramatize stuff and I was upset about it. I wasn't angry, though. I was on the verge of crying. We had been talking about this outside, away from other people. And when we finished, we walked back inside and she told everyone I had hit her and started crying. She had not been crying outside, at all. She had been pretty cold. People got pretty upset about what she said. That I didn't get the crap beaten out of me right there was nothing more than luck. There happened to be a few people there who I knew pretty well, who knew that I wasn't a violent person (I get physically sick at the sight of blood) and they helped convince people that she was lying.

In greenfairy's mind, the girl should have been believed over me, simply because of her gender. If I got the crap beat out of me because of her lie, that would be acceptable collateral damage. Per greenfairy: Hating men is a necessary step in achieving equality. Because hating a group of people simply for who they are never leads to bad results.
    I'm sorry that happened to you. That's a seriously shitty thing for her to do to you. To have someone that had been close to you falsely accuse you like that, must have be even more upsetting.

I think the point is less about which sex you are and more about the fact that rape victims need to be taken seriously. Rape is very psychologically damaging and not being believed can only negatively contribute to that. With any alleged crime, the police and the law have to presume the (alleged) victim is telling the truth. There may be some doubt as to whether she is being truthful, but they still need to investigate as if it's true. When they start to piece things together, the cops can usually work out what went on. There are same cases that slip through the cracks, and rape cases are probably more prone to that because often they're based on a he-said-she-said situation. It's not ideal, and there may be people falsely accused (or convicted), but that the harsh reality. It sucks that some men have to endure false accusations. But you're railing against all this like there's another option. There isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Epiphany

Reverse the gender roles. Problem solved.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Maybe people who like to get drunk should have a DNR signed ahead of time. People can give consent (or not) before they become unable to give consent.

As far as the issue about who to believe when there is a claim of rape, doesn't the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" apply? But with the added element of responding personally to someone traumatized on terms of their own perception? To give an anecdote here, I had a friend in high school who was mentally ill, although I don't know her diagnosis and no one acknowledged it. I saw her run out of an assembly once crying, so I followed her. She was sobbing and telling me the most bizarre stories about how she and her friend had run from satanists and then she saw her friend sacrificed to the devil. She also told me that her boyfriend climbed a telephone pole to save a cat, got electrocuted, and by the time they got him down he weighed only 14lbs. She was absolutely sobbing and completely authentic. I didn't dismiss anything she said, but just tried to comfort her. I also didn't seek out her satanists to personally punish them. It really is possible to suspend judgment in complex situations even including rape. It is possible to not pass judgment on the victim or the suspect until a legal process has been put into place. There should not be vigilante justice in the case of rape, but there should also not be dismissal. It isn't either/or, but is possible to be reasonable on both fronts. Isn't a great deal of conflict in this thread over the assumption that you cannot suspend judgment for both or that you are force to dismiss the credibility of one party or the other?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I know you love childish games, but I'm not gonna play with you. Peace out.
    Physician heal thyself I doubt it applicable here. Kinda figured out what age you are, at least cognitively.

It explains a lot.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Isn't a great deal of conflict in this thread over the assumption that you cannot suspend judgment for both or that you are force to dismiss the credibility of one party or the other?
    I dont think so, I was responding to the whiney ass article positing that its terrible to a victim of labelling, it sure beats being a victim of rape.

And the usual suspects when they realised they'd get called on that shit tried to flip it and suggest its all in fun and were's the humour? As usual. Its so easy to dismiss the entire thing as a troll fail.