User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Looks like we are going to Syria

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...nst-syria?lite

Obama said today that we most likely will go to Syria. However, he said that he will get congress's approval before going. He sounded pretty sure that he was going to successfully get that approval. So the rational conclusion, is that we are most likely going to Syria. Your thoughts?

@DiscoBiscuit
    @EJCC

You guys might want to check out this thread.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well:

1. Congress can't vote on it until September 9.

2. it sounds like he wants to levy a few strikes against the regime in defense of the CWC as a deterrent against chemical warfare and to prevent stockpiles that could be captured and used by terrorists. This is very different than "going to Syria" in the context of a ground war. We are already in position, I think; and would be firing missiles from boats.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm worried we're going to end up killing civilians to punish a regime for killing civilians.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Riva

The rebels were probably backed up by the US to begin with, to oust the regime. I admire their patience for waiting for two whole years to find a reason to attack.

It would be really embarrassing if the congress voted against it, like what happened in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm worried we're going to end up killing civilians to punish a regime for killing civilians.
    Like what happened in Iraq? Because that's whats exactly going to happen.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    The rebels were probably backed up by the US to begin with, to oust the regime. I admire their patience for waiting for two whole years to find a reason to attack.
    Yeah, this is the kind of broad conjecture without details that dissuades me from wasting more time in these discussions.

See ya.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I wish we didn't take it upon ourselves to punish governments who break international laws. If everyone in the world is so in agreement about the violation committed, why aren't more countries supporting us? I say we should have cooled our jets and waited for more data analysis and a more multinational agreement on what to do.

America: World Police
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, this is the kind of broad conjecture without details that dissuades me from wasting more time in these discussions.

See ya.
    I thought I was on your ignore list. Can you please put me back on it please? It's sickening that you get to tell me that I am on your ignore list and not to interact with you but you get to quote me when you want to just to rub it on my face.

One reply and you could simply tell me that I am in you fucking list.

Just put me back on your ignore list and not quote me again. That helps a lot.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well:

1. Congress can't vote on it until September 9.

2. it sounds like he wants to levy a few strikes against the regime in defense of the CWC as a deterrent against chemical warfare and to prevent stockpiles that could be captured and used by terrorists. This is very different than "going to Syria" in the context of a ground war. We are already in position, I think; and would be firing missiles from boats.
    I think it's gonna turn out like Libya in 2011.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I wish we didn't take it upon ourselves to punish governments who break international laws. If everyone in the world is so in agreement about the violation committed, why aren't more countries supporting us? I say we should have cooled our jets and waited for more data analysis and a more multinational agreement on what to do.

America: World Police
    I agree. Our country is in debt for trillions of dollars. When you are in debt, it's not time to help out other countries, it's time to regroup our resources.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I can't get over the downward spiral Syria's been through in recent years. I remember when Bashar al-Assad first came to power, and the West was pretty hopeful; "He's a tech geek", they said, "and he's already liberalized the country a bit. Maybe he'll be the one to ease Syria into democracy."

Now, people are fleeing Syria by the thousands. It's literally a war zone, when it used to be relatively stable and prosperous (if oppressive). It's starting to remind me of Iraq in that regard, and that comparison scares me.

The only way I can see American intervention actually working would be if it was
    1) very fast,
    2) very successful, and
    3) the rebels committed themselves to leaving power if popular elections called for it.

Even if all those conditions are met (which they likely won't be), there's the rebuilding process (expensive), the restructuring of Syrian alliances in the Middle East (potentially chaotic and dangerous).

It's a shitshow.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!