User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Maybe he doesn't look stupid, just cowardly and dishonest.
    Nope, I know that you wing nuts would like the average onlooker to share your tunnel vision but it just makes you look dumb. No thanks.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Nope, I know that you wing nuts would like the average onlooker to share your tunnel vision but it just makes you look dumb. No thanks.
    What is a wing nut?

What is a wing nut?

That's it, in you go.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    What does the us government expect by waging wars in so many islamic nations? Not that any islamic government is doing well on their own. Most of them are ruled by dictators anyway. However most of these dictators are not islamic extremists and - believe it or not - are considerably secular than nations which are completely under the barbaric racist sharia law.
    It depends on the country in question, and usually involves a host of reasons, including geo-strategic concerns (refugees, balance of power, misapplication of the Democratic Peace theorem, controlling the spread of WMDs, etc.), naïve idealism and humanitarian intervention (see The Mouse that Roared, revolving around ideas and self-perceptions based on our post-WWII experience with Germany, Japan, etc.), domestic political calculation ('a short victorious war'), oil (this last one is mostly about preventing economic catastrophe, not making certain companies rich) and the protection of Israel (based on a combination of guilt over failure to prevent the holocaust, longstanding cultural affinities, religious beliefs, collective security and sheer inertia arising from previous commitments).

Obama's response to Libya, Egypt, and Syria does seem to be based largely on the assumption that Islamist democracy is less than inherently dangerous, but I'm unsure what his primary motivations are; what I do know is that we can't afford to get involved in a Syrian quagmire right now, and I'm unwilling to even use airstrikes to discourage the use of chemical weapons without the economic contributions of other powers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Haven't kept up with the news lately, but my guess is highly likely.

Like any other nation who's foreign interest is mostly imperialistic over natural resources, I'd question how and why events have escalated in Syria the way they have. I'd also question the suppliers of the nuclear attack the regime has access to.. (maybe relates to Haliburton somehow? Idk)

It's no surprise we're entering a place like Syria where oil reserves are predominantly in the Middle East.

After we bomb the crap out of Syria and install whatever pipelines needed for oil, the government's next plan is probably to map out where they can frack for oil.

They're all in bed with one another.. Never trust what the news says at face value. Trust where the money is and where Obama's puppeteer's interests are.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I'm hoping congress stops it. I heard there's a lot of doubt about the plan on both sides.

Also feeling really disappointed in Obama lately. I voted for him mainly for his peaceful international stance.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

The real problem is that the United Nations is toothless, so we are left with only one power who can enforce international rules, and that is the United States of America.

This is not ideal but is far, far better than the alternative.

So we advise the US to punish the Syrian Government for violating international rules by using poison nerve gas.

And Australia is very comfortable with the USA enforcing international rules, and we do everything we can to help the USA do this.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Well to ensure this they would need to get more and more involved and police the opposition, when no-one even knows who the leadership is.

The logical thing would be to spend that money sending aid to the refugees rather than bombing the many Syrians in government strongholds, who see it as the lesser evil as opposed to discrimination they may face as women, Christians, alawites or Shia if the opposition takes hold.

They could then negotiate with the existing government instead of with a phantom state.

however they prefer to negotiate with a weak state rather than a strong one, that seems to be their only criteria.
    Well the situation there is basically that the syrian government tells people to get the fuck out of cities, then kill everyone who is left, civilian or part of the opposition. And you might had heard that they dont just go shooting people, but also use chemical weapons to wipe out all people who happen to get in the way of killing those who oppose the current tyrannical government ruling. And people have tried to negotiate with them, but its pretty much impossible to come to any solutions with them.

What comes to giving aid to people, sure it helps to relive some of the suffering of the people who have already been injured or are starving, but its not a solution to the problem. Also there is this thing called red cross, sadly syria didnt want them in their country a while ago. They are helping the people who are suffering because of the war, but obviously cant really help much in the battle field(which is where the civilians are if they didnt go to libya or somewhere).

I think it might work if the opposition would hold power until there is some more stable government. Naturally UN would need to keep their eyes on them and be there to help the country to have legit elections.

Ps. dont watch if you arent able to look at people suffering:
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So we advise the US to punish the Syrian Government for violating international rules by using poison nerve gas.
    Who are "we"?

Most of the "international community" does not advise this.

I have been persuaded by the Pope that military interventionism is not going to be the solution, definitely not if it encourages the Russians and Chinese to launch into some sort of anti-western military campaign (I especially think the Russians are frigging fruit loops and fighting some sort of a secret war already with the brits), although I cant believe what Assad has done and there has got to be consequences for him.