too lofty for me to attain.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Alternate pronunciations like 'brefakst'
    I've said that over and over for a good 30 seconds and I still can't say it right. Good tongue twister, poor slang.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I feel two ways about it.

Probably due to my mother (infj) always correcting our speech growing up. I find that poor grammar can grate my nerves a bit.

But... I also feel that deep down where it counts I'm pretty nonjudgmental about such things and can appreciate the varrying experiences one has that influences that.

And...I live in the south and hear a lot of it... Sometimes it's cute and charming and sometimes it makes my skin crawl.

I will however not tolerate my children speaking poorly though.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

In Britain we can tell a person's social class by their accent, and even in egalitarian Australia we are still attuned to accent and social class.

This is because Britain and Australia retain a considerable amount of spoken culture, whereas by contrast America retains little spoken culture except in the South. And Americans are imbued with literate culture and so are deaf to the social implications of accent.

I also think that Americans don't get Australian humour because our humour is arises from a spoken culture, while American humour arises from a literate culture.

They say America and Australia are only divided by a common language, but it is not so much the common language, but we are divided between a spoken culture and a literate culture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I like when they are used for humor effect.

Dem bitches be like 'I'm so literate, admire my impeccable grammar, lesser mortal'
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I like when they are used for humor effect.

Dem bitches be like 'I'm so literate, admire my impeccable grammar, lesser mortal'
    Yeah me too... And I do that. Like oooh bitch be trippin haha
    Or ain't nobody got time fer dat!

Actually I say all kinds of shiz for my own amusement.

I was just thinking of the not meant to be funny just poor grammar and yeah it's not so great.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Yeah me too... And I do that. Like oooh bitch be trippin haha
    Or ain't nobody got time fer dat!

Actually I say all kinds of shiz for my own amusement.

I was just thinking of the not meant to be funny just poor grammar and yeah it's not so great.
    Agreed.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Sometimes good English not enough -

The Toad, having finished his breakfast, picked up a stout stick and swung it vigorously, belabouring imaginary animals. `I'll learn 'em to steal my house!' he cried. `I'll learn 'em, I'll learn 'em!'

`Don't say "learn 'em," Toad,' said the Rat, greatly shocked. `It's not good English.'

`What are you always nagging at Toad for?' inquired the Badger, rather peevishly. `What's the matter with his English? It's the same what I use myself, and if it's good enough for me, it ought to be good enough for you!'

`I'm very sorry,' said the Rat humbly. `Only I THINK it ought to be "teach 'em," not "learn 'em."'

`But we don't WANT to teach 'em,' replied the Badger. `We want to LEARN 'em--learn 'em, learn 'em! And what's more, we're going to DO it, too!'

`Oh, very well, have it your own way,' said the Rat. He was getting rather muddled about it himself, and presently he retired into a corner, where he could be heard muttering, `Learn 'em, teach 'em, teach 'em, learn 'em!' till the Badger told him rather sharply to leave off.

I don't have a problem when others do it, but I think I would feel pretty contrived using most slang (unless used for humor, as mentioned).
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Echoes @gromit on slang.

Dialects are a different story. Look at the various styles of Southern English and black English that have their own "rules" but people that don't use it chalk it up to 'bad English' which it is not. But this is common around the world and use for categorizing people in social/ethnic classes. Code-switching is a way around this.