User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Slangin

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Echoes @gromit on slang.

Dialects are a different story. Look at the various styles of Southern English and black English that have their own "rules" but people that don't use it chalk it up to 'bad English' which it is not. But this is common around the world and use for categorizing people in social/ethnic classes. Code-switching is a way around this.
    Yeah, there is probably words/phrases I use without realizing it is regional.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Some are ingrained in me. Like saying "Ya'll". (and saying Like way too much.) I type it, speak it, it's a word as far as I'm concerned in everything but formal situations (and I still say it out loud in formal situations, I only refrain from the written version) only.

Some things I say to be cheeky--I don't really incorporate them into my daily language, but I do say them because they entertain me. Like "book learnin' ", double negatives like "ain't got none" and such. It's what many people say around here as actual language, but I just find it entertaining.

And some annoy the ever living shit out of me. Like 'u' short cuts for 'you'. Like "smash/smoosh" for sex.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Oh wow I've never heard smash/ smoosh used that way haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I hadn't until recent years, my best friend's a high school teacher so she gives me fresh batches of what kids are saying lately.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I hadn't until recent years, my best friend's a high school teacher so she gives me fresh batches of what kids are saying lately.
    Smoosh/smash is from that show jersey shore....don't ask me how I know this...but smoosh is what girls say...like "you wanna smoosh?"
    And smash would be the guy saying "yea we can smash"....I guess smash sounds more masculine....lol?
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Helsinki slang is nice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki_slang , but its bit different thing than what you meant.

Normal spoken language in helsinki is pretty much the helsinki slang(but the helsinki slang also has thousands of words not commonly used) and written language is the normal finnish language(tho some words in helsinki slang can be used in written language and understood by people outside of helsinki). Also many places outside of helsinki have started to adopt parts(as in some words and some ways of speaking) helsinki slang in their normal spoken language, especially the young people.

Helsinkians themselves never refer to their slang as Helsinki slang(i) but instead as stadin slangi or simply slangi. Stadi is a slang word, borrowed from the Swedish stad, "city". Literally, the name would mean "slang of the city", but stadi always means just the city of Helsinki in the slang – all other cities are unconditionally referred to by the common Finnish word for "city" ("kaupunki").

More importantly, Helsinki slang is not strictly speaking a slang in the word's modern definition, but rather a dialect and a sociolect. However, the term "slang" has stuck since long, especially as the language refers to itself as slangi.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Helsinki slang is nice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki_slang , but its bit different thing than what you meant.
    That is really freakin cool. And I'd argue that it's not very different at all from what I meant.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.