User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Do you have a land line? Or house phone?

I remember about ten or fifthteen years ago talking to someone who was moving into a house with their new partner and I asked if they would be getting a phone line installed and he told me that since he and his partner both had mobile phones already they were not going to bother, it seemed odd at the time but I have begun to think it makes more sense as time passes.

Now I am in a perhaps unique position of being old enough to remember a time when we didnt have any phone at all and it didnt make a difference, I remember the first phone being installed in the house we used to live in, it was hardly used, I never got a mobile phone until my early twenties, which was late but at the time phones didnt have cameras, internet, the newest thing was the capacity to send text messages and people talked about that function as pagers (the fact that it was awesome for deaf people was almost incidential).

So do you own a house or land line distinct from a mobile? Why? Would you think you only need the one? Is the house line an obsolete technology?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

We dropped the land line when my husband got laid off in 2009 and haven't missed it yet. No, wait. It would be handy when I'm at the grocery store and I want someone to check and see if we're out of something but all the kids have their cells turned off because they don't want to forget to turn them off for school and get in trouble. But it's not thirty-plus dollars a month worth of inconvenience.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

No. I don't have one and don't miss it.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

is this a strategy for mass seduction? you want my number?

ps. to answer the question, i move house pretty frequently and i tend to adjust to whatever i find. but i like having one so that i can make cheap international calls (voipbuster). but if i lived in the same place for a long time, and in particular in my home country, i'd probably not have one.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have one but getting ready to get rid of it. I kept one for years because I used to fax/receive stuff on a regular basis...can't do it with this damn service though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have one, and in fact still don't have a cell phone. (I had a blackberry briefly for work, but they were taken away last year to save money.) In an extended power outage, a landline can be a lifesaver, as it can be a problem keeping cell phones charged. As such, I consider it a valuable safety feature, and will keep one as long as I can reasonably afford it. Plus, I like the idea of a single phone in the house than anyone can feel free to answer. Otherwise, one is calling a string of cell numbers, hoping someone answers.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I do have a land line. I get lousy reception on my cell phone in my house. It's great at work and in the car, and ... anyplace but in my house.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I don't... It's been years since I have and even then it was barely used. Except yeah I guess to fax stuff.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    9w8

I do have a landline and it is sacred, meaning that only the chosen few have the number and can call me at home. The cell is my business and everything else phone.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I do have a landline and it is sacred, meaning that only the chosen few have the number and can call me at home. The cell is my business and everything else phone.
    I like that
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.