User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I hope this means I get to keep the chromes?!?
    Did you already pawn? May be too late, friend.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Duh, if the service becomes a rival to facebook, it's no longer elitist.

Orkut, back in the days when it required an invitation, used to be pretty exclusive (though not in the $$ kind of exclusive).

After a while, the bro's dominated it. Digital inclusion, biatches.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

My question was about the inclusion-exclusion deal, facebook is totally inclusive and successful as a result, successful in terms of being popular, attractive and fast becoming a necessity or common place as having a mobile phone or internet connection or washer-drier.

Although could an option whose main selling point was exclusivity ever become a rival? Exclusivity is a unique selling point in many other respects and certainly in real life social networks. Or is facebook successful as a social network with people who dont do social networking or who are excluded in offline social networks? Is the internet changing exclusion-inclusion as a criteria for appeal and sales and therefore success?

What about the point about being a provider versus being the services provided? There's a difference between android and apple operating systems and phones per se but facebook is fast becoming the product, the sole product, itself and I think this is the only way there's ever going to be a charged for service, when not having the service doesnt mean you join a competitors service you go without a service.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is Facebook a provider of a social network service or, as appears to be the case, the provider of the social network service?
    Neither. It is a mechanism for making money, though advertising and collecting information about its users. The social networking "service" aspect is just incidental, the bait that calls the fish.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    XXFP

I think it's worth pointing out differing uses for facebook.

Some use it to talk with friends and post cat pictures. Some use it primarily for business networking. Some use it to try and find people they don't talk too much anyway. Some even use it to organize revolutions.

I can see the concept of let's say, a 'Fortune 500 insiders' facebook. Networking for the elite. Paid service, you'd have to be verified and all that. I'd almost say, 'what's the point?' these people are important and if you're someone yourself than you can just call them on the phone via the channels.'

But having a more organic 'meeting ground' could be valuable, perhaps.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Neither. It is a mechanism for making money, though advertising and collecting information about its users. The social networking "service" aspect is just incidental, the bait that calls the fish.
    I would grant that it has certainly evolved in that direction, when it became impossible to cancel accounts was probably the watershed point for me, it was absolutely an intel or marketing tool from that point.

Although that's not what it was conceived as, its not what it functionally is for most users either, like you couldnt argue that since it has a video games that that is its primary purpose and there's been continued discussion of when charges for the service will be levelled at users.

Now I do think that's an example of greed personally, a little like banks talking about how they will eventually begin introducing charges as standard for users of ATM, since when would it make sense for people to pay to have access to their own money? But its not how most people think of it, they think of it as a "free" service that they could be called upon to pay for eventually.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't think it would work. There's a reason no social network has been able to topple facebook: everybody else uses facebook. When your purpose is to connect with others, you're going to use what they use. Google+ is the perfect example of this. It may even be superior to facebook in some ways, but it has no users. Until it has the users, it will have no users. Facebook was only able to pull it off because it was so clearly superior to myspace, which was utterly worthless a social network and was really just a site for looking at "profiles."
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't think it would work. There's a reason no social network has been able to topple facebook: everybody else uses facebook. When your purpose is to connect with others, you're going to use what they use. Google+ is the perfect example of this. It may even be superior to facebook in some ways, but it has no users. Until it has the users, it will have no users. Facebook was only able to pull it off because it was so clearly superior to myspace, which was utterly worthless a social network and was really just a site for looking at "profiles."
    If an alternative could be created which was used by only fortune five hundred members and it was secured and exclusive to them would it be a rival? Could social exclusion actually work as a selling point as opposed to social inclusion?

If past success and inclusion is the biggest determinant of future success and inclusion does that make Facebook THE medium, in the same way that there is one train network wether companies compete with one another to provide transport services upon it or perhaps a single telecoms network would have been a natural monopoly prior to mobile telecoms being developed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If an alternative could be created which was used by only fortune five hundred members and it was secured and exclusive to them would it be a rival? Could social exclusion actually work as a selling point as opposed to social inclusion?

If past success and inclusion is the biggest determinant of future success and inclusion does that make Facebook THE medium, in the same way that there is one train network wether companies compete with one another to provide transport services upon it or perhaps a single telecoms network would have been a natural monopoly prior to mobile telecoms being developed.
    It could possibly attract the super rich, yes, but there aren't many companies or products that are successful by catering exclusively to the wealthy. The only thing that comes close to what you're talking about that I can think of is maybe LinkedIn. Even it though I wouldn't say caters to the wealthy, it's just that the wealthy are more likely than others to be involved in business associations, which is what its purpose is. Something with the same purpose as facebook but that excludes others I don't see as sticking around very well. I mean, the rich do want people to sell to, right?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    It could possibly attract the super rich, yes, but there aren't many companies or products that are successful by catering exclusively to the wealthy. The only thing that comes close to what you're talking about that I can think of is maybe LinkedIn. Even it though I wouldn't say caters to the wealthy, it's just that the wealthy are more likely than others to be involved in business associations, which is what its purpose is. Something with the same purpose as facebook but that excludes others I don't see as sticking around very well. I mean, the rich do want people to sell to, right?
    I was thinking if the Fortune Five Hundred was not a list but an actual online social network, much like facebook, the inclusion in which is by invitation only, obviously being part of the said rich list is a prerequisite.

Perhaps there are less things which have been a success through their exclusive marketing to the rich niche markets but plutonomy is trending, all the forces, economic, political and popular ideological are converging upon it and consequently is some exclusive or exclusionary alternative to facebook going to make an appearence eventually? Or would it be a group on facebook? A service offered by them because none can rival them?