First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Yeah, but it happened in small-town America, didn't involve any controversial weapons, and involved only white people. Nobody wants to read that. Besides, she was young, happened to have a vagina, and was out on the town way too late- she was practically BEGGING to be violated and thrown into a lake.
    yes, she also had a FaceBook account. So many strikes against her...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

^
    ^that's funny.

so, what's to be done? nothing?
    sounds about right...it's the government after all.

obama should just lead.
    make decisions. he only has 3 years left. time to do something.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Yeah, but it happened in small-town America, didn't involve any controversial weapons, and involved only white people. Nobody wants to read that. Besides, she was young, happened to have a vagina, and was out on the town way too late- she was practically BEGGING to be violated and thrown into a lake.
    Why start with the sexism angle? Are you saying the media doesn't cover missing white women? Or the public doesn't care about missing white women?

All of that aside, it requires another level of cruelty to torture someone before killing them than it does to shoot someone in the back and run off.

It's only a matter of time before Victor/Mole notices this thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Reminds me of this story:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...ed-life-prison

They just well...did it. To see what it was like.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why start with the sexism angle? Are you saying the media doesn't cover missing white women? Or the public doesn't care about missing white women?

All of that aside, it requires another level of cruelty to torture someone before killing them than it does to shoot someone in the back and run off.

It's only a matter of time before Victor/Mole notices this thread.
    Not at all, actually. I'm saying that people are bound to place a heavy amount of importance on the fact that she was a young girl out at a questionable hour, as opposed to, say a well-built 22 year old male college student. And she was alone. Anything to detract from the horror of what happened. I think that the blame the victim mentality often has very little to do with whether or not people identify with a victim, and very much more to do with what level of comfort it brings people. /2cents
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (So I'm waiting for [Mystery Poster!] to start posting in this thread about the evils of American gun freedom vs the beautiful Australian way of life.)
    Sure, Americans have gun freedom and we are free from guns.

- The Mystery Poster.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's nice that they at least assumed something resembling responsibility for their actions...

And if the police don't find video games in the kids' houses...then they will still blame it on video games.

A Big Ask

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    And if the police don't find video games in the kids' houses...then they will still blame it on video games.
    Everyone in the world except Americans knows it is guns.

And everyone in the world except Americans knows that nothing will change until the gun culture changes.

So how can we change the gun culture?

Well, we have successfully changed the smoking culture so why not apply the same techniques to the gun culture?

We have succeeded in making smoking no longer socially acceptable, so why not make gun worship socially unacceptable?

A big ask, you say, but America is a big country full of energy and enthusiasm, keen to reinvent themselves, in love with redemption.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

A famous comparison from the UK, one which still causes a lot of issues even now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I wonder how the media chooses which murders are interesting enough to give so much coverage to. Teenagers kill people every day. Is it because it was a white victim? An athlete? A college student? Because they said they were bored?