User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It's called thrill killing (killing just for kicks/to see what it's like). The most notorious cases seem to be from Britain or the good ol' US (*sarcasm*). This current case is bad but doesn't surprise me one bit.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    No mention of where the gun came from.
    Whatever the case may be, none of them are old enough to legally own a gun.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

We just had something like that happen in the next county over, a few months ago. http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/nat...er-killing-her

Couple of guys got bored and decided they wanted to find out what it felt like to rape a random person. So they drove into town and got the supplies they thought they'd need to do the deed and waited for an opportunity. They picked up a girl, raped, beat, and strangled her, then dumped her in a lake.

They are both white and from a white, midwestern town population: 2,000. My daughter's friend and her bf had hung out with one of the murderers a couple of weeks before the murder and he seemed normal enough to them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Umm, Leopold and Loeb were motivated by money. Those kids killed him "for fun".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We just had something like that happen in the next county over, a few months ago. http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/nat...er-killing-her

Couple of guys got bored and decided they wanted to find out what it felt like to rape a random person. So they drove into town and got the supplies they thought they'd need to do the deed and waited for an opportunity. They picked up a girl, raped, beat, and strangled her, then dumped her in a lake.

They are both white and from a white, midwestern town population: 2,000. My daughter's friend and her bf had hung out with one of the murderers a couple of weeks before the murder and he seemed normal enough to them.
    I'm gonna read the article when I get the chance, but that's crazy. I wonder how the rate of these "thrill-seeking" murders is doing. Is the media just publicizing it more than the past or are people actually starting to act on this more than before? Or maybe the publicity just makes it seem like it happens more now when really it happened more in the past. Hmm, I should look into this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Umm, Leopold and Loeb were motivated by money. Those kids killed him "for fun".
    The ransom was not their primary motive; the young men's families provided them all the money that they needed. Both had admitted that they were driven by the thrill of the kill and the desire to commit the "perfect crime".
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Umm, Leopold and Loeb were motivated by money.
    Umm, they were not. That is the whole point of their story.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I'm gonna read the article when I get the chance, but that's crazy. I wonder how the rate of these "thrill-seeking" murders is doing. Is the media just publicizing it more than the past or are people actually starting to act on this more than before? Or maybe the publicity just makes it seem like it happens more now when really it happened more in the past. Hmm, I should look into this later.
    I think it's a combination of things. They don't have work to keep them busy, either from lack of need or lack of opportunity. The news spreads a lot farther and faster than it once did. And we live in relatively non-violent times, historically. Like, they don't have the outlet of raiding parties, wars, or socially sanctioned physical persecution of the 'other' to kind of hide these tendencies as has frequently been the case.

But that's just me talking out my rear from reading a lot of historical fiction and taking a handful of history/social science classes.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I would find it impossible to be that bored but links are made between boredom and aggression in The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Yeah, but it happened in small-town America, didn't involve any controversial weapons, and involved only white people. Nobody wants to read that. Besides, she was young, happened to have a vagina, and was out on the town way too late- she was practically BEGGING to be violated and thrown into a lake.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The CDC finished it's investigation into Guns that Obama requested.

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/cri...-gun-narrative

Some highlights:

Obama had announced at the beginning of the year his push for three major gun control initiatives — universal background checks, a ban on “assault weapons,” and a ban on “high-capacity” magazines — to prevent future mass shootings, no doubt hoping that the CDC study would oblige him by providing evidence that additional gun control measures were justified to reduce gun violence. On the contrary, that study refuted nearly all the standard anti-gun narrative and instead supported many of the positions taken by gun ownership supporters.

For example, the majority of gun-related deaths between 2000 and 2010 were due to suicide and not criminal violence:

Between the years 2000-2010 firearm-related suicides significantly outnumbered homicides for all age groups, annually accounting for 61 percent of the more than 335,600 people who died from firearms related violence in the United States.

In addition, defensive use of guns “is a common occurrence,” according to the study:

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

Accidental deaths due to firearms has continued to fall as well, with “the number of unintentional deaths due to firearm-related incidents account[ing] for less than 1 percent of all unintentional fatalities in 2010.”

Furthermore, the key finding the president was no doubt seeking — that more laws would result in less crime — was missing. The study said that “interventions,” such as background checks and restrictions on firearms and increased penalties for illegal gun use, showed “mixed” results, while “turn-in” programs “are ineffective” in reducing crime. The study noted that most criminals obtained their guns in the underground economy — from friends, family members, or gang members — well outside any influence from gun controls on legitimate gun owners.

Also, the report noted that mass shootings such as the one in Newtown, Connecticut, have declined and “account for a very small fraction of all firearm-related deaths.”