First 234

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Excellent point.... it may be a refinement and a good thing, actually. Although it's interesting that this isn't the case for fear. I maintain that we're a very fearful culture, at least in this particular epoch.
    On the other side, I think we can push it too far. There's subtle, and then there's beating around the bush. When subtlety becomes obtuse...yeah, fear. It means there's something the writer is afraid to confront. Maybe in their own self and their intimacy issues, or maybe a fear caught from an evasive grammar school teacher who harped on them for using words like "was" and "is" too much.

I'm the opposite, actually. I get drawn to stuff like that... I think because it's a safe opportunity to allow myself to be overwhelmed with emotion. I like when something can get inside me in that way.

If I'm guilty of this at all, it's real world stuff. I think I believe that if I get too wrapped up in that stuff, I"ll lose control, which I don't like.
    Very interesting. In the real world, true to pattern, I do allow myself to feel things all the way through, but I don't fear that it will lead to a loss of control over my actions because it usually does not. To me: you've got the right to your full feelings, but also the right to choose not to let them stop you doing what you've got to do regardless.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but I'm skeptical that a declining usage of words like "sad" and "happy" in literature means that fiction is becoming less emotional. There are subtler ways of expressing someone's happiness than to use the word "happy," and any decent writer will prefer them. Actually, going right out and stating that a character is happy will normally lead to a much weaker experience of that emotion in the audience than will illustrating the character's happiness by means of his or her actions. So this study could be used to prove the opposite point: that writers are creating increasingly strong emotional experiences.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but I'm skeptical that a declining usage of words like "sad" and "happy" in literature means that fiction is becoming less emotional. There are subtler ways of expressing someone's happiness than to use the word "happy," and any decent writer will prefer them. Actually, going right out and stating that a character is happy will normally lead to a much weaker experience of that emotion in the audience than will illustrating the character's happiness by means of his or her actions. So this study could be used to prove the opposite point: that writers are creating increasingly strong emotional experiences.

EDIT: Yes, apparently someone already did say pretty much the same thing as I did. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    This.
    Well ... recently published books are generally less likely to make an emotional impact on me. Whether this is because I've read so much that it's harder for any book from here on out to leave an impression or whether it's because they actually ARE less emotional, I couldn't say, not for sure.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Well ... recently published books are generally less likely to make an emotional impact on me. Whether this is because I've read so much that it's harder for any book from here on out to leave an impression or whether it's because they actually ARE less emotional, I couldn't say, not for sure.
    The emotion you feel while reading a book depends on your level of interest in the subject matter. On the other side of the coin, a writer can express emotion with greater complexity by illustrating events, thoughts, and even objective facts with a fluid tone. Frankly, I think this is the mark of a good writer; it's hard to prompt people to feel what you're feeling with 1 or 2 emotional descriptors, especially with no context other than text.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Maybe so. I'd be interested to see if many others feel the same way about recently published stuff. Alternately, you may be going through a phase in life where your emotional boundaries are tighter. Have you read anything older recently that left a stronger impression on you?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The emotion you feel while reading a book depends on your level of interest in the subject matter. On the other side of the coin, a writer can express emotion with greater complexity by illustrating events, thoughts, and even objective facts with a fluid tone. Frankly, I think this is the mark of a good writer; it's hard to prompt people to feel what you're feeling with 1 or 2 emotional descriptors, especially with no context other than text.
    It should also be pointed out that emotional responses are very personal and individual. Not everyone will react alike to a given literary stimulus. I am sure in some cases, the emotion I get from a dramatic situation is quite different from what the author probably intended. I also suspect I have emotional reactions to things that don't strike an emotional chord in the average reader.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned

maybe they're past their period...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    maybe they're past their period...
    Curious.... so are you implying that these days, most of the emotional content of a book is contained within the very first sentence? I suppose that must be necessary to capture the reader's attention.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78