User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 38 of 38

  1. #31
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Excellent point.... it may be a refinement and a good thing, actually. Although it's interesting that this isn't the case for fear. I maintain that we're a very fearful culture, at least in this particular epoch.
    On the other side, I think we can push it too far. There's subtle, and then there's beating around the bush. When subtlety becomes obtuse...yeah, fear. It means there's something the writer is afraid to confront. Maybe in their own self and their intimacy issues, or maybe a fear caught from an evasive grammar school teacher who harped on them for using words like "was" and "is" too much.

    I'm the opposite, actually. I get drawn to stuff like that... I think because it's a safe opportunity to allow myself to be overwhelmed with emotion. I like when something can get inside me in that way.

    If I'm guilty of this at all, it's real world stuff. I think I believe that if I get too wrapped up in that stuff, I"ll lose control, which I don't like.
    Very interesting. In the real world, true to pattern, I do allow myself to feel things all the way through, but I don't fear that it will lead to a loss of control over my actions because it usually does not. To me: you've got the right to your full feelings, but also the right to choose not to let them stop you doing what you've got to do regardless.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  2. #32
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but I'm skeptical that a declining usage of words like "sad" and "happy" in literature means that fiction is becoming less emotional. There are subtler ways of expressing someone's happiness than to use the word "happy," and any decent writer will prefer them. Actually, going right out and stating that a character is happy will normally lead to a much weaker experience of that emotion in the audience than will illustrating the character's happiness by means of his or her actions. So this study could be used to prove the opposite point: that writers are creating increasingly strong emotional experiences.
    This.

  3. #33
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but I'm skeptical that a declining usage of words like "sad" and "happy" in literature means that fiction is becoming less emotional. There are subtler ways of expressing someone's happiness than to use the word "happy," and any decent writer will prefer them. Actually, going right out and stating that a character is happy will normally lead to a much weaker experience of that emotion in the audience than will illustrating the character's happiness by means of his or her actions. So this study could be used to prove the opposite point: that writers are creating increasingly strong emotional experiences.

    EDIT: Yes, apparently someone already did say pretty much the same thing as I did. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    This.
    Well ... recently published books are generally less likely to make an emotional impact on me. Whether this is because I've read so much that it's harder for any book from here on out to leave an impression or whether it's because they actually ARE less emotional, I couldn't say, not for sure.

  4. #34
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Well ... recently published books are generally less likely to make an emotional impact on me. Whether this is because I've read so much that it's harder for any book from here on out to leave an impression or whether it's because they actually ARE less emotional, I couldn't say, not for sure.
    The emotion you feel while reading a book depends on your level of interest in the subject matter. On the other side of the coin, a writer can express emotion with greater complexity by illustrating events, thoughts, and even objective facts with a fluid tone. Frankly, I think this is the mark of a good writer; it's hard to prompt people to feel what you're feeling with 1 or 2 emotional descriptors, especially with no context other than text.

  5. #35
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Well ... recently published books are generally less likely to make an emotional impact on me. Whether this is because I've read so much that it's harder for any book from here on out to leave an impression or whether it's because they actually ARE less emotional, I couldn't say, not for sure.
    Maybe so. I'd be interested to see if many others feel the same way about recently published stuff. Alternately, you may be going through a phase in life where your emotional boundaries are tighter. Have you read anything older recently that left a stronger impression on you?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  6. #36
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The emotion you feel while reading a book depends on your level of interest in the subject matter. On the other side of the coin, a writer can express emotion with greater complexity by illustrating events, thoughts, and even objective facts with a fluid tone. Frankly, I think this is the mark of a good writer; it's hard to prompt people to feel what you're feeling with 1 or 2 emotional descriptors, especially with no context other than text.
    It should also be pointed out that emotional responses are very personal and individual. Not everyone will react alike to a given literary stimulus. I am sure in some cases, the emotion I get from a dramatic situation is quite different from what the author probably intended. I also suspect I have emotional reactions to things that don't strike an emotional chord in the average reader.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #37
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    maybe they're past their period...

  8. #38
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    maybe they're past their period...
    Curious.... so are you implying that these days, most of the emotional content of a book is contained within the very first sentence? I suppose that must be necessary to capture the reader's attention.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. BS study saying how selfies lead to mental illness
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
  2. Help! I have gotten myself into a mess!
    By Antimony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM
  3. Studies Say Death Penalty Deters Crime
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
  4. What mental disorder would you say I have?
    By Chimerical in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO