User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    In the study, published in PLOS ONE, researchers at three British universities tracked the use of “mood” words sorted into six main categories: anger, disgust, fear, joy, sadness and surprise. The researchers identified a “clear decrease” in overall use of mood words over the 20th century, with only words relating to fear increasing in the last several decades."
    I am not sure that a decrease in the amount of "mood words" translates into a decrease in emotional content. I'm no creative writer, but I keep hearing that in good writing, the author doesn't state what is going on, they show it. In other words, in stead of saying something like, "Her attitude made him angry", one should relate what he did or said that shows anger. Perhaps the study just reflects a shift in how emotion is conveyed in fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Unlike Chanaynay and senza, books automatically make my LEAST favorites list if they make me cry. I avoid them (and resent them) like crazy. And I'm the same with sad movies and TV shows.
    I'm no fan of tear jerkers or maudlin, sappy stories/characters. Were I to cry from reading a book or watching a movie, however, I would blame myself, not it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Peyote must be awesome.
    Can't resist the cheap jibe, eh?

But instead of making cheap jibes why not inform yourself by reading, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan, and bring yourself up to speed.

To read, "Understanding Media - The Extensions of Man", by Marshall McLuhan, click on http://beforebefore.net/80f/s11/media/mcluhan.pdf

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Can't resist the cheap jibe, eh?

But instead of making cheap jibes why not inform yourself by reading, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan, and bring yourself up to speed.

To read, "Understanding Media - The Extensions of Man", by Marshall McLuhan, click on http://beforebefore.net/80f/s11/media/mcluhan.pdf
    Sorry, the internet has made books obsolete. How can I read a book about that, if books are obsolete?

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the topic really. The only connection to the topic was a poetic segue. This topic is actually really interesting. I do find myself irritated by the way you take the same two or three ideas, and inject them into other interesting threads.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Sorry, the internet has made books obsolete. How can I read a book about that, if books are obsolete?
    I'm sorry too because it looks like we are coming to the end of our conversation.

So perhaps I should tell you why.

It's because you continue to make cheap jibes and smart comments.

I find this irritating particularly as you make no contribution and bring nothing to the table.

Typology Central is not a site for therapy so I am unable to help you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I don't know if someone has already said this or not, but I'm skeptical that a declining usage of words like "sad" and "happy" in literature means that fiction is becoming less emotional. There are subtler ways of expressing someone's happiness than to use the word "happy," and any decent writer will prefer them. Actually, going right out and stating that a character is happy will normally lead to a much weaker experience of that emotion in the audience than will illustrating the character's happiness by means of his or her actions. So this study could be used to prove the opposite point: that writers are creating increasingly strong emotional experiences.

EDIT: Yes, apparently someone already did say pretty much the same thing as I did. Oh well.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I am not sure that a decrease in the amount of "mood words" translates into a decrease in emotional content. I'm no creative writer, but I keep hearing that in good writing, the author doesn't state what is going on, they show it. In other words, in stead of saying something like, "Her attitude made him angry", one should relate what he did or said that shows anger. Perhaps the study just reflects a shift in how emotion is conveyed in fiction.
    To my understanding, the study didn't look solely for words like "sad", "angry", "happy", etc. but rather for words with similar meanings or conveying the same general themes.

So yeah, "Her attitude made him angry" is a bald and unexpressive use of language but this is not the only thing the study was looking for.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    To my understanding, the study didn't look solely for words like "sad", "angry", "happy", etc. but rather for words with similar meanings or conveying the same general themes.

So yeah, "Her attitude made him angry" is a bald and unexpressive use of language but this is not the only thing the study was looking for.
    They mention "mood words" in the article, but they don't define exactly what they are. I doubt they include all poetic metaphors.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I'm going to say two things that have already been said.

One of them is that all the study on word usage shows if that the writers are telling us about the emotions less. They may be showing us as much of it as ever. I know that I was very young when I got my first "show, don't tell" lesson in an English class.
    Addendum: noted Senza's comment on the study being more subtle, but am still merely ambiguous about this...will return with a more complete take on this point later.

The other one is that, though I may have that F in my type, I've been known to quit a book in the middle if it was too troubling emotionally. It has everything to do with my own capacity for absorbing emotions from stuff. That capacity is heavy, and if something is too much, I've got to think about whether it's worth finishing. Sometimes it is worth sticking it out if the literature is high enough quality, but other times, it's not. If I don't actually care about the story but am merely catching a mood, it's just not.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I'm going to say two things that have already been said.

One of them is that all the study on word usage shows if that the writers are telling us about the emotions less. They may be showing us as much of it as ever. I know that I was very young when I got my first "show, don't tell" lesson in an English class.
    Excellent point.... it may be a refinement and a good thing, actually. Although it's interesting that this isn't the case for fear. I maintain that we're a very fearful culture, at least in this particular epoch.

The other one is that, though I may have that F in my type, I've been known to quit a book in the middle if it was too troubling emotionally. It has everything to do with my own capacity for absorbing emotions from stuff.
    I'm the opposite, actually. I get drawn to stuff like that... I think because it's a safe opportunity to allow myself to be overwhelmed with emotion. I like when something can get inside me in that way.

If I'm guilty of this at all, it's real world stuff. I think I believe that if I get too wrapped up in that stuff, I"ll lose control, which I don't like.

Visit my Johari:

They mention "mood words" in the article, but they don't define exactly what they are. I doubt they include all poetic metaphors.
    I also doubt that it includes all poetic metaphors, but that isn't to say it's looking just for the most simplistic stuff. Regarding "show, don't tell," yes, that seems to be a 20th-century development as far as the teaching of writing is concerned, which would account for why mood words are going out of style ... but it doesn't apply to the fear words. So I don't think that's it.

Also as far as poetic metaphors are concerned, I actually believe that writing these days is less poetically metaphorical than it was pre-1950. Writers used to have a more formal grasp of rhetoric in the past, I think. It was actually taught in schools and universities and stuff.